the stylist’s guide to nyc

Experiencing different cities is one of my favorite things in the world to do. I love soaking up everything an area has to offer and trying to taste a little bit of what locals do there on a regular basis. Every time I visit a city I find myself wishing I had a specific type of insider to help me around town. And depending on what that city is, I find myself hoping for a different person based on that town’s speciality. And while I am myself a local, I always find myself wishing that I had a very specific type of help when I attempt to shop in Manhattan. Namely because Manhattan feels like ten cities packed into the size of one and it can be incredibly overwhelming. So when Amy sent me a link to Sibella Court‘s new book I nearly fainted. It was everything I’d hoped for (aside from Sibella herself showing up at my door to say, “Hello, Grace! Can I take you on a shopping trip through the city?) in a city guide from one of the most stylish and talented people I know.

Sibella’s new book is called The Stylist’s Guide to NYC and frankly, that is my ultimate dream. For than most other professions in design, stylists and prop specialists know all of the amazing hole-in-the-wall places that I wish I knew and the best part- they know when and how to shop there for the best deals. If I could take this book in tour form every weekend I would- because NYC is the sort of city that is always changing and adding amazing new shops.

In this book Sibella will cover, “boutiques, galleries and markets- arranged into loops of interest, such as ‘Furniture & Interiors’, ‘Haberdashery, Handmade & Vintage Textiles’, and ‘Scents, Flowers & Gardens’.” And because after a few hours of shopping you always need a little bit of re-fueling, Sibella is also listing her favorite cafes, bars and delis. I know it may seem silly to go gaga over a book from someone who doesn’t currently live in NYC, but I can tell you from a local’s perspective- Sibella probably still knows way more than I do about my own city’s styling secrets.

The book comes out this May, but you can sign up now on Amazon to get the sale announcement. I just did and will be dog-earing the heck out of my copy when it comes. I’m fully prepared to have my mind blown by some amazing insider secrets and fantastic new shops. xo, grace

*Click here to take a tour through Sibella’s beautiful home and shop in Australia.

1. tara says:

Oh this is brilliant… really just such a great idea! Can’t wait to check it out!

2. the guide sounds amazing..a perfect companion to take along for my maiden trip to NYC..whenever that happens!! xx meenal

3. Belly B says:

Sounds great! Definitely going to check it out :)

4. Jamie says:

I feel the same way! I live on the UES and even get overhwelmed going downtown, ha. Thanks for sharing this, I’ll be sure to order my copy too.

5. I’ve been anxiously awaiting the release, too. Even though I am local, I feel the same way – break it down for me and I am a happy gal. I love her first book so I know this is going to be equally amazing :)

6. fab! from Madrid to NY so soon… xxb

7. Leslie says:

So very exciting! Cannot wait for the book and thanks for the heads up!

8. Sarah B says:

I bought Sibella’s book ETCETERA. when I was in London 2 weeks ago and it is INCREDIBLE. Totally worth toting back in the my carry-on. I will absolutely be on the waiting list for the NYC guide, too.

9. Isn’t Sibella great! Such a talented lady! I love her shop here in Sydney! :-)

10. angie says:

nice! i am a big fan of the “eat shop” guides, too!

11. Laura says:

Thanks so much for posting this. I’m going to be moving to Manhattan for grad school in the fall, which is a somewhat daunting prospect, especially because I’ve never been to NYC. This guide looks like it will be incredibly helpful!

12. rachel says:

she is so talented and I am happy to soon grab another one of her amazing books!

13. Kaspia says:

what a lady! such treasures to be unearthed!! she is mucho talented…

14. Joanne says:

She has such an original eye for seeing beauty in the ordinary. I love the way she curates.

15. Cindy says:

Awesome! I’ve been in New York for just a year, and now I’m kinda learning that exploration of New York can never end! This book will be a perfect guide for me.

16. ohh, i MUST get a copy. I love love how you always find new spots in NYC.

17. love love love this blog and all the interviews!
    how about starting an advice column for wannabe stylists? maybe all of the worlds best people (stylists) can contribute!

18. hearttypat says:

you know what, this is one of the books on my wishlist now! I LOVE NY!