sneak peek: anne m. cramer

If you’ve seen Anne M. Cramer’s collection for Spring 2011, you’ll know why Grace instantly demanded that we do a peek with her. Let’s just say I wasn’t kidding when I started the peeks today mentioning that we have a major stripe affinity. Six years ago, when this house came on the market, in Minneapolis, Anne and her family (three boys!) moved from just one block away. The house was almost a replica of Anne’s childhood home in Chicago so she felt an instant sense of familiarity. For me, there are just two words of importance when looking at the home – “sleeping porch.” I think I just might sell my soul for a sleeping porch – and that’s putting it mildly. Sigh.  (If you want to see more photos – there’s 29 more! – all the extras are on the design*sponge facebook page!){Thanks Anne! And many thanks to Adrienne Page for the lovely photographs} -Amy A.

Image above: The Sleeping Porch – This completely charming porch is located off the landing to the 3rd floor. However charming, it’s too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer, so it is now referred to as “the lincoln bedroom” (looks adorable although goes totally unused) we should just rope it off. Ha.

CLICK HERE for more of Anne Cramer’s Minneapolis home!

“The Pink Room” :: In this household of all boys, I decided I must have a “girly room” painted powder pink.  None of our 3 boys volunteered their rooms for the paint-job, so I tackled the 2nd floor guest room.  The palest of pink, ivory and white was the chosen palette, soft linens, dress a vintage metal bedroom set (2 matching beds and dresser with vanity-not shown) with an ivory tulle “crown” to finish the look.

“The 2-week Wallpaper” :: I had my heart set on a wallpaper I saw in a magazine of a French Chateau where the walls were papered with a silver background and an ivory pattern.  Since I was not able to track down this paper, and I am a never-afraid-to-try, diehard DIY’er, I painted the walls (Platinum Metallic by Ralph Lauren) and added the all-over pattern with cream artist enamel.

“1st floor Powder Room” :: Being that the bathroom doors seem to always be left WIDE OPEN at our house, this tiny powder room was a quick + fun project. The wallpaper (Target online) with its hint of champagne metallic in the detail, works well with the mini-chandelier.  May as well look good, if it’s going to be seen…right!??!

Image above: I love reading books about “old school etiquette” and then incorporating it into modern day scenarios.

Image above: The kitchen is the hub of all activity. We redid the kitchen about 5 years ago, leaving all of the original cabinets and hardware.  We added the center island for weekday dining and put in silestone countertops for ease in cleaning.

Image above: This dinner bell is similar to one I had growing up.  When the bell rang it meant “hurry home-dinner’s ready”.  We use it all the time!

The “don’t put it there” Dinner Table ::  Seems that every house I have ever lived in was a center-entry colonial.  You know the type, you pass through the DR to get to the kitchen, making the DR table the “perfect” spot for backpacks, paperwork, laptops, briefcases, etc. I soon realized (years ago) that if the table were set, no one DARE place a thing on it.  So our table it set 24/7. Is that weird?  Ha!

A small peek at my insane and never-ending obsession with everything “table-top.”  There are closets full of silver, china, stemware, linens and silverware. YIKES!

Image above: The “Boy’s Only” bathroom on the third floor. No girls allowed!

Image above: “Flynn’s Room” :: This is a picture of the entry into our youngest son’s room. You can see the age of the house from the light switches. We have had these restored to keep the vintage feel of this 100 year old house.

Image above: “3rd floor Guestroom” :: This room (also located on the 3rd floor) has many uses. The location makes it perfect for guests who want a bit of privacy. It also serves as a great hide-away when the kids are racing around the house having “nerf wars.”

My Favorite Chair” :: I rearrange the furniture in this house monthly…not sure why, but it happens. This chair, however, never gets moved from its spot by the fireplace. It is my favorite place to sit and relax. Feet up, coffee in hand!

1. Carolina says:

Thanks for inviting us into ur lovely home. I want that bell!

2. Kim says:

This is one of those gorgeous spaces where I think “Ah, no kids.” 3 boys?!? Huh? How old? Am I being cynical to think they are either out of the home or else the house could not possibly look this way on any other day…?

3. Angie says:

What a beautiful place. I really love the soft grays as the backdrop to a few punches of color and personality. And the faux wallpaper is wonderful. Nice job.

4. LOVE this. Seriously, can I move in? So charming, modern, chic and “homey” all at once.

5. Kristina (KM Fashion Consultant) says:

Absolutely delightful, especially those pops of green, the table being constantly set, the whole shabby chic feel…beautiful in so many ways. Thanks for sharing.

6. Eileen 2 says:

Thanks! I just found the solution to my 1930 dining room windows in this old dining room.

7. Brianda says:

I think I just fell in love. I feel like I took a breath of fresh air! Beautiful house.
    I love the beds by the way. I’m looking for a bed like that for my room.

8. Lissie says:

It is all a delight. Then I saw the always set dining room and actually gasped aloud. Beautiful.

9. kimmi siren says:

Not sure where you’d fit a man into any of this… And I’m not even talking about a sports fan kinda man.
    My hubby is an extremely artsy, cool, hip sensitive soul; though he said it was very fresh looking, he also said it would be a tough living situ for him without feeling like a wedding cake topper!

Just lovely though- charming!
    So “Alice”

10. maureen says:

what a beautiful home! i love that it’s so light and airy with pops of color. just lovely…

11. Megan Leigh says:

I LOVE the china patter with the little reindeer! Who makes this pattern?

12. Megan Leigh says:

I LOVE the china with the little reindeer! Who makes this pattern?

13. I love your house so much…..being an australian the colour scheme lends itself to our aussie climate… your lounge and powder room are my inspirations to renovate mine ( I am in the process now) thanks heeps… aussie, aussie, aussie…oi oi oi

14. Liivi Hess says:

Wow, handpainted wallpaper, I am very impressed!! It looks so gorgeous too.. Does anyone know if wallpaper like this that’s easily available for those of us who might not be so industrious??
    Great post, I love the honesty and personality!!
    Liivi x

15. Wonderful designs. I especially like the black and cream stripe button chair.

16. Sian says:

Could you tell me what colour and make the paint on the walls are in “The Pink Room” Its beautiful! Thanks.

17. sandi says:

Please, what is the name of the paint on the walls of the “pink room”?
    Love itn

18. sandi says:

Please, what is the name of the paint on the walls of the “pink room”?
    Love it.

19. Cherlyn says:

Please, what is the name of the paint in the pink bedroom?