in the kitchen with: steve woodward’s english meal

In honor of the cold weather that’s still in full force in many places above the equator, we thought we’d try our hand at bringing you a full meal this week. Steve Woodward of Clinger Farm has given us a very quick and easy typical British winter menu for pork chops, winter greens and mash and baked apples. It’s just like the meals he ate as a child. I made it for us here, and we were really over the moon for its simplicity and fantastic flavor. This is also a great week-night meal. On a side note, I love the photography because it nicely fits my romantic notion of an English country farm with an Aga going!  — Kristina

About Steve Woodward: Steve “Woody” Woodward is a property entrepreneur with a strong passion for good food and wine. He always had a dream of opening his own restaurant, so two years ago, with help from his two friends — London sommelier Tim McLaughlin Green and fish guru celebrity chef Mitch Tonks — he opened a pub restaurant called The Old Inn Holton in Somerset, England. Steve supplies the pub restaurant with beef, lamb, pork and vegetables from his own Clinger Farm in Somerset, where he lives with his family and promotes farm-to-fork eating. You can follow Steve’s travails on Twitter.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

Roasted Pork Chops Cooked in Apple Juice with Seed Mustard Mash and Winter Greens
Serves 2

• 2 large pork chops
  • 1 small cabbage or curly kale
  • 4 large potatoes
  • 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
  • 1 small bottle of apple juice
  • half pint white wine
  • olive oil
  • salt & black pepper
  • butter

To make the pork chops:

Rinse chops under a cold-water tap, then season chops with salt and black pepper, rub olive oil into the chops, put them into a hot frying pan and seal both for two minutes per side. Put the chops into a baking tray and then into the oven, pre-heated to 180ºC/350ºF with half a pint of good apple juice. The juice must lie in the bottom of the baking tray, and the chops need to be exposed to allow them to become golden brown in colour. The fat from the chops will mix with the juice to make a golden-brown sauce. Cook for 30 minutes until the chops turn golden brown in colour. Be sure to turn the chops every ten minutes. You may need to add more apple juice during cooking.

To make the mash and winter greens:

1. Wash and slice the cabbage, put the cabbage into a large deep pan, add half a pint of white wine and a generous tablespoon of butter. Season with a pinch of salt, and cook for ten minutes. Test with taste. If you are using kale, use the same method.

2. Peel four large potatoes, cut them into small pieces and then boil them in a sauce pan until ready. Test by pushing a knife into a potato; the knife should glide in with ease. Drain all water out of the pan, add a tablespoon of butter, three teaspoons of wholegrain mustard and then mash them. Season with salt and pepper

3. Serve pork chops with juice from baking tray. Add cabbage and mash.

Baked Apples with Honey Cream
Serves 2

• 2 large cooking apples
  • 1 small pot of single (regular) cream (approximately 1 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons of apple juice
  • 3 teaspoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Wash apples. With a sharp knife, make a shallow cut around the apple just above the middle, and remove the core of apple but not all the way through as this will allow juices to stay in the apple. Put apples into a baking tray, fill holes with apple juice, sprinkle the tops with brown sugar and cook for 25 to 30 minutes in the oven where you cooked the pork chops. Push a sharp knife into the apples to make sure they are cooked. They should be soft.

2. Put a small pot of single cream into a sauce pan, add three teaspoons of honey and heat until the honey is mixed into the cream.

3. To serve, pour hot honey cream into a dessert bowl, and place apple in the middle of the honey cream. Serve hot.

Pork chop photo by Kristina Gill. All other photos by Ed Ovenden.

Why Steve Chose These Recipes
Mash with winter greens is what I grew up on. As a young lad, my elders told me that it would make me big and strong and make my hair curl — don’t think the hair thing worked, though. These recipes are just good food from the land, what I call good food cooked very simple. The nice thing about these dishes for me is that they remind me of my childhood being sent out to the orchard on a Sunday morning to pick apples, then wrapping them in newspaper and stacking them in old wooden apple racks so they would keep until the winter, which in those days for me was a real treat. And I think pork chops are a good, hearty winter meal. The flavours that come out of the pork fat with the apple juice are amazing.

1. Shandell's says:

You make me long for a visit to England. My grams would make her version of this meal. Bubble and squeak for leftovers if there are any:)

2. Jola says:

Sounds good. What is “seed mustard” though?

3. Tara says:

Oooh, those baked apples sound delish! Moving to the top of my to-bake list!
    Thanks so much!

4. Barbara says:

I’ve got a giant portion of pork chops in my freezer…… and now I know what I want to do with them!
    Nothing like good’ ol English cooking to make a March day feel alive.
    Thanks for sharing!
    (and check out those dogs! and the Aga! swooon.)

5. Emily says:

This meal looks so delicious!

6. Kimberley says:

The English know their Sunday roasts, that’s for sure! Mustard seeds in mash? Love it.

7. Kate Z. says:

Sounds delicious!

What is “single cream”? Heavy whipping cream? I am such a Yankee.

Jola, in the ingredients list at the beginning, he lists “mustard seeds” and then refers to it as “seed mustard” later in the text. I believe he simply means regular whole mustard seeds.

8. IAMSNWFLAKE says:

Sounds like a deliciously old fashioned meal! You bet I’ll try the mustard seeds next time we have mashed potatoes.

9. Jes says:

When I make mustard mash, I use wholegrain mustard & stir it in, so you could probably do that instead.

What we in the UK call single cream is apparently called half & half, or pouring cream in the US.

10. Mrs Bok says:

Lovely post – thank you. I’m another leftovers bubble & squeak fan too!

11. Nicole says:

This will make the best Sunday night dinner! It’s raining here and I’m craving stick-to-your-ribs comfort food this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

12. cherade9 says:

You missed the Yorkshire Pudding, sage and onion stuffing, carrots and peas on the side. Omnomnom! We’re making that this week :) <– Yorkshirewoman

13. Kristina says:

@Jola – I corrected the discrepancy I created in the recipe when I was editing it. You should use ‘seed’ or ‘wholegrain’ mustard, as Jes indicated in the comments. Sorry for the confusion!

@Kate Z – Steve says that you can use regular cream, it’s the honey that makes the difference. (I can agree with him on that! I loved these baked apples with the honey cream)

14. virginia says:

as an anglophile…i am truly grateful for this post.

15. Justineedge says:

Yum! This is on the meal plan for this week. Thanks for sharing.

16. i love all the pics and apples with honey cream!

17. Jackie says:

This sounds wonderful! I’m going to make this for a Sunday dinner! Thanks for the post.