genius idea: starched fabric headboard

Last night while I was clicking around on Twitter I followed a fantastic link from Metal and Mud to what might be one of my favorite DIY ideas I’ve seen in a while. Rather than getting bogged down in a big woodworking project, Sara decided to cut the shape of a curved headboard out of fabric, apply liquid starch (which makes it removable) and iron the board straight to her wall to give the appearance of a proper upholstered headboard. I followed up with her to ask about how well it’s staying put (with heads sleeping against it, etc) and she said it’s stayed in place just perfectly. I always love leaving for the weekend with a great idea and this morning that idea belongs to Sara. If you’re looking for a clever project to tackle in just a few hours, she’s outlined the full steps right here. Virtual high five to Sara for such a fun and easy project and for making me want to tear through my giant fabric stacks and start something new…xo, grace

*If you’re looking to make something bigger, I upholstered my own headboard a while back and video taped all the steps. It’s more involved than this project but yields pretty nice results as well.

[UPDATE: Sara’s awesome pillow tutorial is right here]

1. Catherine says:

This sounds great to save some money, but what if you have an apartment? Does it come off when you move out? Thanks!

1. grace says:

catherine

yep! that’s why it’s so genius- starched fabric on walls comes right off. it’s amazing.

grace

2. Lou says:

Grace, if I may be so bold, you have the most beautiful headboard! While Sara has a wonderful idea, I really think that the dimension that foam/board add are worth the trouble. Maybe I am just being sentimental because your headboard tutorial was the first article I ever read on this site. ;) Also, I DIYed my own headboard but it is a mere rectangle. So it was super easy without any powertools because the friendly employees at Lowe’s cut it up for me into the perfect size.

1. grace says:

lou

thanks so much :)

i think the fantastic thing about headboards is that they can be done so many different ways these days. something as sizable as mine won’t fit in everyone’s rooms, or may not be feasible due to the material costs or process required. however, i love something like this because if you have an iron, some fabric and the starch, you can have a pretty good looking alternative.

grace

3. Clare says:

That is really lovely! The pillows too, brilliant! Any idea where they’re from?

4. erin says:

holy. moly. this is a revelation in headboards! seriously genius!
    also, those retro frames pillowcases are AWESOME! my boyfriend has been searching for the perfect horn rims, so he would definitely to buy them immediately. :)

5. Lisa-Marie says:

That is frickin brilliant!

6. Jenn says:

This bed–head to foot–needs to be in my bedroom. LOVE the fabric headboard idea. I’ve been in love with faux headboards lately and had planned on either framing some bold fabric barely higher than the mattress or working some magic with vinyl cling material, but this is PERFECT. And we can pop it into the back bedroom when our roomie moves out and we usurp his room. :x

I also MUST have/make those pillowcases… SO cute. Perfect for my efforts to have a chic, modern space with little touches of nerdiness peppered throughout. Not to mention I’ve been meaning to redo our bedroom in gray and yellow… this fabric would be gorgeous against the dark gray walls I want. So yes. I will take it head to foot, please. :)

7. dina says:

pillowcases? we’re “8 eyes” too–i’d love to make these!

8. LW says:

Yes, please share info on those cool pillowcases if you can get it. :)

9. I love the chevron paint technique ;) LOVE IT!

10. Belly B says:

Those pillows are ADORABLE. I want a set!

11. annie says:

Same request as the others: please let us know where you can pick up those pillowcases. I’m infatuated with them :)

12. sabrina says:

I love these pillowcases .. where I can buy, do you know? :D

13. Sara says:

Thanks for posting about my project, Grace!

Since so many people are asking about the pillow cases, I thought I’d provide the link to that tutorial as well!

14. n says:

Hi Grace, arent both of them such lovely ideas!

Tho, now with a bit more time in hand, I am going to try and go for the three dimension one.

A question, tho:
    1. why does a head board have legs on the side? We are currently sleeping with the mattress of the floor, and I thought if we just have the top bit, we could simply change the height when we finally get ourselves a bed… but not possible with the legs, so, why those legs?

1. grace says:

n

i put legs on mine because my headboard actually stands, it isn’t drilled into the wall. you can make the board extra tall, but i didn’t have enough fabric to cover that much extra wood so i just went with legs ;)

g

15. Caitlin says:

I want those pillow cases!! They are so adorable. Do you think we could find out where she got them?

16. Vera says:

Wow, that’s so simple and nice…. how bad does it damage the wall paint?

17. jc says:

what a nice take on the his and her pillowcases.

18. Uyen says:

So clever, love the bold pattern! Great idea for my guest room.

19. What are the chances! I was just thinking about headboards last night, and was planning to revisit Grace’s tutorial this morning.

Meanwhile I know someone who’ll totally go for this starched fabric headboard. She’s going to be so thrilled to see this. Thank you for sharing!

20. great idea! I will definitely make something similar… thanks, xxb

21. Carrie says:

I love the yellow chevron! I need something like this in my spare room.

22. Sonja B. says:

Fabulous! I have been thinking about stenciling a flurry of butterflies on my daughter’s walls and now I know I can cut them out of fabric and apply to the walls — yet still can remove them later. So much more fun. Great post. And I love those eyeglass pillowcases!

23. Aj says:

What a fabulous idea! Ive seen walls done with fabric before to imitate wallpaper, but it never occurred to me to make it headboard shape. Good thinkin!

24. Maggie says:

Thanks for sharing the pillow tutorial! They’re wonderful.

25. Aj Simone says:

26. Sarah says:

Oh my gosh! I have a boss wooden headboard, but this has totally opened up the possibilities for CUSTOM WALL DECALS!!! My boring hallway is getting a face lift. ASAP.

27. Tamra says:

I know this post was for the headboard, but I am lOOOOOVING the pillows. I’m so inspired to create these! Thanks!

28. I just read and looked through the whole tutorial over on Metal and Mud and it looks really comprehensive. I can’t wait to try out this project on my own off-white wall! Thank you for sharing :)

29. Brianna says:

how cool! I had been thinking about the same thing with a headboard after seeing a TV show where they turned fabric into wallpaper using the same technique.

30. What an interesting idea! There are so many ways to add focus to the bed wall. I just also did a tutorial on a DIY Upholstered Headboard http://www.ashleywhite-design.com/2011/03/diy-upholstered-headboard.html

31. Ali says:

This is the most fun bedroom ever! Love this version of the “his and hers” pillows.

32. I love it! I’m thinking of a quilt pattern done with groovy cotton fabrics on the wall! Such a great idea.

33. alison says:

Wonderful!

I visited my friend on the weekend and she had done something similar in her living room (in a rented house). She had used cornflour mixed with water to paste the fabric on, and apparently all it needs to get taken down is little more water to thin out the flour and wash it off off at the end!

Maybe I should suggest she does one near her bed?

34. Casey says:

What would be so much fun would be to combine this idea with the paint stenciling and the fake iron bed headboard from this tutorial: http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/06/diy-idea-embroidered-headboard.html
    You could easily stencil an iron headboard onto the fabric and then iron it on to the wall :)

35. Car Hire says:

I think you may want to add a facebook button to your website. I just marked down the url, however I must do this by hand. Simply my advice.

1. grace says:

car

we’re adding all the social networking buttons when we launch the redesign in just over a month :)

grace

36. Amber says:

What about putting brass tacks or studs around the headboard? It would add a little more depth to the design. My personal favorite would involve anything with rhinestones, though.

37. Dara says:

I have been looking for something to use starched fabric on for months now. It just sounds like too much fun! This is a great idea. Plus you can change it up whenever you please.

38. casamos says:

Hallejuah. I can finally have a headboard!

39. Mae says: