diy project: katie’s glass-jar moroccan lanterns

I’m getting a little tired of the winter weather and will take just about any opportunity to daydream about the sunny warm days ahead. These Moroccan-inspired lanterns by Ohdeedoh contributor and DIY expert Katie Steuernagle are the perfect antidote to the winter blues; I love the glow of the rich jewel tones and the intricate gold designs. If you have any old sauce jars lying around, this is the perfect way to make good use of them and get yourself psyched for spring— it will be here before we know it! —Kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

Materials

• old glass jars (spaghetti jars, jam jars or any plain glass jar will work)
  • gold dimensional puff paint
  • glass paint (Delta or Pebeo Vitrea glass paint are great options)
  • paintbrush
  • wire (optional, for hanging lanterns)

Instructions

1. Remove labels and any glue residue from the glass jars and allow them to dry completely.

2. Apply the gold dimensional paint in various patterns. You can use the applicator tip to create small stud-like dots, draw various decorative patterns or push around the paint to create solid areas of gold. Let dry.

3. Pour a small amount of glass paint inside the jar and use your paintbrush to drag the paint up the sides of the jar, coating all of the jar’s interior. Let dry.

4. Your lanterns are now ready to enjoy indoors or out! Simply fill them with candles or add loops of fine-gauge wire to the tops for easy hanging.

1. Allison says:

Perfect way to decorate wine bottles that have lights in them. Thanks for solving my dilemma.

2. Kimberly says:

Hi Katie,
    What a fun tutorial. You mention using the Delta glass paints. Did you use the surface conditioner or just straight out of the tube?

3. Una says:

These are genius. So beautiful.

4. Charles says:

Wow !!! such a great idea! let me know if u decide to sell them i will be right there in the beginning …….such a great job !!!

5. AlexSajda says:

I am married to a moroccan so I love the idea of touches of morocanish things around the house <3

6. Sajda says:

I tried to go buy puff paint at jo ann’s and the person i asked there said they dont have and and i didnt understand the stuff I was looking at in the aisle

7. chaitra says:

they’re beautiful…trying them today :)

8. amanda says:

what would be a good way to hang these?

9. Siham says:

Great diy idea to do on a boring Sunday! Very creative :)

10. Alle says:

I’m thinking about making these, but I can’t seem to find any Delta Transparent Glass Paint other then in a small kit? What other paint would you recommend using that could be found at Joann’s or Michaels (since these are the only craft stores around me).

11. jessy says:

i just did this project and used the tulip brand dimensional paint and wasted 38 dollars. the big gold bottle is 4 and the smaller bottles are 2. lots of fun for sure came out so cute. we are using these for my bff bollywood inspired bridal shower.

1. allyson says:

why was the 38.00 “wasted”?

12. Joyce Waldvogel says:

I’m obsessed with these. I made them as favors for my daughter’s shower. I had some problems with the earlier ones streaking, but now I have it down pat. Add food coloring to modpodge until you have the color you like. Now pour modpodge on the inside of a clean jar. Swirl it around until all the sides are covered. Don’t use a paintbrush. Don’t worry about the bottom. Now drain for five minutes upside down. Place in a 250 preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove with a pot holder. No streaks, perfectly covered, and no, they won’t break in the oven.

1. Amy wood says:

Joyce, what kind of modge podge did you used? I am having trouble with streaks

13. LizQuigley says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have collected ton of pix on Pinterest to gaze at Morrocan laterns just to gaze at the longingly because the are so expensive! I can’t believe how simple you made this for me!! I am going to make a bunch for a ‘Gypsy Summer Night’ party for my Mother’s 90th birthday! She will love it. AND I will check out your advertisers and tell I came to their website because of you. Liz Q of Quakertown

14. Tara says:

I’m also having trouble finding the paints mentioned here. I have the puff paint but the glass paint is trickier.. I went to joann’s and they were afraid that whatever kind they had (that had to be baked) would be flammable… the instructions here didn’t mention baking the jars but I assume they were..? Is the paint flammable? Anyone know anything about DecoArt brand paint? That’s what I saw at the store..

15. cc says:

This will never work unless you make a hole near the bottom. A candle needs air supply to keep burning. How do you make a hole on a glass jar?

1. Grace Bonney says:

cc

the lids aren’t on ;)

grace

16. Sheila says:

Michael’s Arts & Crafts do sell the Tulip brand of puff paint and they also sell the Martha Stewart brand of glass paint.

17. Rudri says:

Wow!!!! Love these lanterns – they are so awesome! Thank you so much for sharing- I’d love to create some soon! xoxoxo

18. Justin Ternet says:

I know that trick. I decorated baby food jars a bit like that. I slipped behind the wall Celtic petterns, fix it with tape, and I traced with the liner.

19. Cathy says:

Can you use the puff fabric paint

20. Pam Douglas says:

I did a project similar to this but my jars were already tinted. I found a large lot of various colored jars (50 for 25.00)
    I love the look but had a hard time finding puff paint that wouldn’t run and I kept smearing it before it dried. I was just about to give up and found temporary henna body art in gold and silver at the craft store… I made sure to use a sealer and threw on some stick on gems and a touch of fairy glitter on the first coat of sealant (while it was still tacky)… A second coat and they were done.
    I bought LED tea lights… at the dollar store…

21. Janet says:

I used a Dremmel to drill a hole in the bottom of the jars, wired them up and hung them from the ceiling as pendant lamps. I staggered them in a bunch of three and used chain over the electrical cord to disguise the cord a bit and for ease of hanging. They look absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much!

22. Brendi says:

My local dollar store has glitter glue that can also be applied with a paint brush, also from the dollar store, or wooden skewers. It takes about 24 hours to dry but is beautiful. Try taping graph paper to the inside of the container to give guidelines if you don’t have an artist’s eye.
    I have also added a layer of sand in the bottom for the candle to sit on, which keeps it stable and helps prevent the jar breaking if the candle burns all the way to the bottom.