diy project: homemade leprechaun spirits

Saint Patrick’s Day is right around the corner; it will sneak up on you before you know it, so you might want to prepare! The tradition of drinking on the holiday comes from a legend called Patrick Pot. This project honors that tradition. These mini, leprechaun-sized ales are perfect for a St. Patty’s Day get-together or to give as good luck gifts! I used miniature liquors to create this fun favor but to make it kid friendly, limeade is perfect. — Halligan

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• miniature liquors, such as Irish Whiskey or Goldschlager (limeade to make non-alcoholic)
  • print paper
  • corks
  • string
  • gold paper
  • glue
  • hole puncher
  • scissors or X-acto knife
  • glue, Goo Gone or another adhesive remover

For the Labels

1. Download and print paper labels from here. Cut them out.

2. Remove original labels from miniature bottles using adhesive remover. Take off the original lids and replace them with cork.

3. Apply glue to paper labels and adhere to bottles.

For the Golden Shamrock Bottles

1. Download tags from here. Print and cut them out, then punch a hole at the top of each tag.

2. Remove original labels from miniature bottles using adhesive remover. Take off original lids and replace them with cork.

3. Cut heart shapes out of gold paper, put glue on the backs of the paper hearts and apply them to bottles in shamrock shapes.

4. Tie tags on to the bottle necks.

1. This idea is too cute…a little liquid luck!

2. Kristin says:

This is very merry! Tis an elegant little display of St. Patty’s bottles. Cheers.

3. laura says:

awesome!! i feel like i have to have a st pattys party just so i can give these out!

4. I’m Irish and never once heard that legend. It’s at least also because we can break Lent on St Patrick’s Day and it’s not a tradition of drinking, it’s one of celebration (in all forms). But nice job propagating the stereotype we’re all drunks…

1. grace says:

I’m sorry if felt the post implied that was all there was to St Patrick’s day, I did some research online and found several references to Patrick Pot or “Pota Phadraig”, it’s definitely a “legend” (as Halligan mentioned in the post above) rather than something that happens on a regular basis, but I think part of what we do here is find unexpected or less traditional sources of inspiration. You could certainly make these containers for non-alcoholic drinks, floral use or just for display.

5. J.B. says:

LOooovVVeee this idea!

Can’t access the downloads!!! Please help….:(

1. grace says:

hi jb

what problem are you having? is it loading for you? it may take a minute or two, it’s a big file.

6. alison says:

Oh my word, these are so cute! I’m with Laura. I feel like I need to have a St. Patrick’s day party, just so I have an excuse to serve this little cuties!

7. These would be fun to leave on people’s desks at work when they weren’t looking. Which is how i assume a leprechaun would do it…

8. J.B. says:

Couldn’t access via Internet Explorer. Opened Mozilla and it worked perfectly!!

Thanks, grace :)

1. grace says:

glad it worked, thanks jb!

9. Janel Foster says:

How cute are they! I’m going to have to make these! Thanks!

10. candi says:

These are too cute!

11. Gretchen says:

Love these too, but I was also unable to access the downloads despite allowing several minutes…page just never loads.

1. grace says:

hi gretchen

did you try on firefox or chrome? sometimes IE just doesn’t play well with modern blog servers.

12. Cady Snyder says:

My friend is having a St. Paddy’s day party – I will be passing this idea along!!

13. Tara says:

perfect for kids if made with limeade! I love this idea.

14. Sally says:

Where did you buy the mini corks?

1. grace says:

hi sally!

i’ll let halli answer the specifics, but i’ve seen them in bags at michael’s craft stores before :)

15. Halligan says:

Hey Sally I found mine at AC Moore :)

16. Bonnie! says:

I’m Irish and took no offense. It’s a rare culture that does not have a drinking tradition!

17. What a cute idea. Love it.

18. kelly says:

Brilliant of you to post this early enough that we actually have time to put this gift together instead of a day or two before the big day. Thanks!!

19. tag says:

I to am having a hard time downloading the tags, and lables.
    I get a red x in the corner and it says done. I love these and hope to get it to work

20. samantha says:

what size corks did you use? i’m getting married the day after st.paddy’s and we have a bit of a luck theme going. i’d love to use these as favors!

21. Halligan says:

Hey Samantha. I used two sized of corks. Let me measure the bottom diameter for you in the morning!

22. Judy says:

Where’s the blighted potato charms? Are you making charming little gelt keepers for Chanukah?

I’m with Jane; while this is hardly the most egregious offense, it does perpetuate a stereotype and it is in bad taste.

23. Debbie says:

Love these bottles! So cute!

24. Mariana says:

I was able to download the labels… but am wondeing how to have them print to the right size. Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

1. grace says:

hi mariana

you just need to scale the image down (to fit your bottle) using a photo program like photoshop, ms paint, or our favorite free online tool:

25. Mariana says:

Thanks Grace; just downloaded Gimp and found some mini bottles of wines at Rite Aide 2@ $3 and will be using them for those fantastic labels. Happy ST. Pats Day.

26. Super cute! If I didn’t already have party favors….

27. desi says:

everyday i get excited when i open my browser and get to read all the nice and cool stuff here!, im not even close to getting a blog this awesome but one day and with hard work i hope so :p

1. grace says:

thanks so much, desi :)

28. Michelle says:

what font was used for the labels? is it available to download somewhere?

29. Shauna says:

I love this! So cute! I wanted to let you know that I featured this project on my blog with a link back to your site. Happy St. Pattys to you.

30. Cami says:

People are very easily offended. They should probably stay off the Internet.

31. Bonnie says:

This is such a great idea — Grace, I hope you ignore any negative comments here – Propaganda? No one said all Irishmen/women are drunks, heck I’m Italian, and we drink a wee bit too!! LOL – whether it is a “real” tradition or not, as Ms. Flanagan so ungraciously pointed out – it’s an awesome idea – Start a new tradition. Maybe a little liquid luck will chill her out.