attention: calling all upholstery experts!

We are looking to add a new section to our Before & After Basics series that covers — you guessed it — upholstery! Barb from Knack Studios has already given us an amazing collection of tutorials, and she’s got plenty more to come, but we realized that many Before & Afters involve textiles as well. So we’re hoping to expand the column to include techniques and tips for a wide range of upholstery projects.

With that in mind, we’re looking for an upholstery expert to join the team and write monthly tutorials on the various techniques for upholstering many different kinds of furniture. If you’re interested in applying, please send us an email with some images of your upholstery work (including any tutorials you’ve written online) and a bit of information about yourself.

You can apply by filling out this form right here. We’ll be accepting applications through Friday, March 25th. xo, Grace and Kate

1. Beth says:

This is a shout out to all about Amanda Brown the owner of Sprucea the team she leads….if you have not checked them out you MUST..Amanda leads a team of friendly,creative,very knowledgeable people, who made my experience very pleasent and my favorite sofa and chair took on a new life and the workmanship was exceptional..Thank you Amanda and the team at SPRUCE..I will be back….Beth

2. Evie says:

Spruce in Austin Tx. would be great, their before and afters will blow your mind…Amanda the owner of Spruce takes items that you would never think could be brought back..and turns them into beautiful modern pieces…go to their website you will love it!!!..Evie

3. Kevin says:

Amanda and the folks at Spruce should be in the running for anything having to do with upholstery. Having taking their hands on class I can say that you would be not be disappointed if you choose them. They are full of great hands on practical knowledge with a fresh perspective!

4. Mary says:

I’m checking ModHomeEc on my ballot. Upholstery is like some sort of mystery science to the uninitiated. Shelly’s greatest give is giving her students confidence and making even the part that aren’t so much fun a blast. Her online tutorials are well organized, easy to follow and – best of all – really hard to screw up, even if you’re a first timer. SHEL-ly, SHEL-ly, SHEL-ly!

5. Holly Hooper says:

You should get Shelly Leer for your upholstery expert. She’s a great teacher and writes terrific columns for the Indianapolis Star and her own website She’s an expert teacher as well!

6. Monica says:

Can’t wait for the tutorials! Sooo looking forward to it.

7. I have directions for simple upholstering on my blog,
    I’m not an expert, but a figure it out practically kind of girl. I hope my blog is helpful and fun to readers while waiting for the expert’s advice!

8. liz says:

shelly from is super fabulous. she makes even the most daunting job seem like a piece of cake with her calm demeanor and encouraging words. pick her! pick her! pick her!

9. Danielle says:

oh my goodness, looking through these comments I see others had the same idea, I would LOVE to see Spruce on design sponge! Maybe it will help me to finally finish old set-aside projects!

10. Christina says:

Yay! I would be very excited to see a merger between two of my favorites- Design Sponge and Shelly is a fantastic teacher!

11. Julie says:

Spruce is AMAZING! Amanda Brown would be perfect for design sponge! She and her team are so creative and make the most beautiful pieces. Amanda is sweet, fun, and knowledgeable, and she would be PERFECT for this! The best choice, hands down!

12. laura says:

SPRUCE SPRUCE SPRUCE!!!! They are simply the best. Spruce. Austin. Texas.

13. Beth J. says:

I started with a beginning upholstery class about one year ago, then quickly moved on to an intermediate class. I am now working on a large project I could have never imagined doing on my own, thanks to Shelly at Great knowledge, great teacher, great writer. Shelly makes learning something new so fun, you need her!

14. Krysti says:

I will have to agree with some of the comments above. Spruce is a GREAT company, and Amanda has a tremendous amount of knowledge for upholstery! Not to mention how much creativity and fun she puts into her products. There couldn’t be a more perfect person for this position.

15. Christin says:

I am an upholsterer in Birmingham, AL. Drop me a line at christin_at_recoverdesignstudio_dot_com. Cheers

16. orangesugar says:

I also nominate Spruce, love their work and how they bring a current flair to old pieces.

I also have a couple of questions I would love to have answered.

Q1: Recommend a good and not terribly expensive pneumatic stapler.

Q2: When upholstering a large piece, for example a headboard, what if your fabric is not wide enough. Home dec fabric is typically 54″ wide and if your headboard is 60″ tall and king size what do you do? Do you sew two lengths of fabric together? And if you do where do you place the seam so that it isn’t noticeable?

Here is an example of the kind of headboard I’m talking about:

Can’t wait to read the tutorials.

17. KayGee says:

I’ve taken classes from and read all kinds of DIY articles from Shelly at ModHomeEc. She is easy to work with and knows how to teach people with different learning styles. Her articles are easy to read and follow.
    I’d highly recommend her!

18. Amanda says:

Hi orangesugar!

I would recommend the BeA staple gun. It costs around $130, is light weight and has minimal long-term maintenance. You can find other professional upholstery guns for $90-$100, but I have found that the extra $30 will at least double the life of the gun.

Here are a few options for your headboard:

1. If your fabric can be railroaded, you can hide a horizontal seam behind the mattress.
    Here’s a link explaining railroaded fabric:

2. If you are using a fabric with a pattern that is not railroaded, pattern matching will almost completely disguise your vertical seams. In standard practice, you would have a piece of fabric (the full width of the bolt) in the middle of the headboard and seam onto both the right and left sides to get the appropriate width. You can also place the seam down the middle if you prefer fewer seams.

Here’s a link to a headboard that shows how well pattern matching disguises seams.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the shout out!

19. Kamie says:

My vote is also for the Sprucettes all the way!! Amanda Brown would be an AMAZING addition to the Design Sponge blog and she’s the perfect pick for your upholstery addition. She is so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what she does, it’s contagious! The Sprucettes know just how to transform your everyday furniture into extraordinary works of art. Their website tells all.

I love Design Sponge and I LOVE Spruce!!

1. grace says:

thanks for all the recs, guys! we’re processing all the applications/forms this week :)

20. Joyful says:

it’s been said several times and I couldn’t agree more. The gals at Spruce in Austin, TX are so creative and fun! They would be so great at a blog tutorial that is both entertaining and educational. What a fun idea! My vote is for the Sprucettes in ATX!

21. Valerie says:

As a novice in the confusing and chaotic world of furniture recycling, I include myself among the many who have found illumination at the feet of upholstery goddess, Shelly Leer. Without her wise and patient tutelage, I would not have had the courage to transform a garage sale outcast into this beautiful and valued member of our furniture family. God bless you Shelly!

22. Bulk says:

I wish i was an expert! I’m such a big fan of this awesome site. I hope you find your guy though (or gal) =]

23. Key says:

I just discovered your site a day or so ago though pintrest, and I am trapped. Also in awe of all the great idea’s and helps. Can’t wait for this one to come to life. I have a very nice three cushioned, three pillow back sofa I want to re-do. It’s showing signs of wear and needs a new look in general. I was going to try it on my own but, would have wasted alot . Just a crafting, doing yourself, southern gal that appreciates all the finds here and waiting on more . Thank you so much for all your shares .