weekly wrap up + california wedding

This has been a week of such happiness, good news and exciting new things that I couldn’t resist ending with another happy day: the wedding of two designers in California. Danni and Nick met at The Art Institute; he was studying game design, and she was focusing on graphic design. After meeting at a friend’s poker night they clicked, and Nick proposed during a trip to Seattle (he even made her a wooden ring).

For the big day, Danni and Nick chose to get married on their five-year anniversary of dating at a park in Fullerton, California, where they had their first date. What I love so much about their big day is that they actually reversed their wedding schedule to have the reception first because they wanted to get married at sunset. So at 4pm, guests gathered and everyone shared a picnic basket lunch together. Blankets were laid on the ground and everyone was able to pick up delicious wrapped food and eat together in the sun. I think it’s such a sweet and romantic way to start off a fun celebration, which ended with a post-ceremony dessert party. Danni has shared all the details below, so I hope you’ll enjoy this glimpse inside a beautiful day as much as I did. Thanks to Danni and Nick for sharing their photos, taken by Christian Cruz & Hope Feathers.

Before we dive into the wedding (which continues after the jump), there is a summary of this week’s content below. Have a wonderful weekend, and I’ll see you on Monday (with some pictures of our new apt.)! xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

CLICK HERE for the rest of Danni and Nick’s wedding after the jump!

Image above: Cake bunting by Kiki LaRue

Image above: For their wedding favors, the couple sent guests home with boxes filled with mini-Bundt cakes. Danni designed the tags, and the calligraphy was done by her friend Cathie. They tied each box with lace and included a wood fork

Image above: They had a lounge area with vintage furniture rented from Found Rentals. Danni’ s father also built a photo wall for the guests to take pictures.

Image above: The welcome table. When guests arrived, they took a fan (according to Danni, it was a HOT day!) a button and a program, and then signed the Polaroid guest book.

Image above: Simple silver wedding bands.

Image above: Danni’s wooden engagement ring made by Nick.

Image above: Test tubes and bottles hanging from trees along with succulents and lots of dry flowers. All the flowers and lace decorations were made by Danni’s friend Ruby!

Image above: The couple had a dessert table with mini doughnuts, madeleines, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and Bundt cake! They had vintage plates stacked for the guests to use.

Image above: Danni’s dress was vintage and borrowed from her friend Ruby.

1. Lauren says:

ahh so awesome.. what an insane amount of vision she has. does anyone know where nick’s vest was from? love it!

2. julie says:

this makes me want to have a second wedding!

3. Wow. I love weddings that are so personal. I did something similar for my wedding, so much work! But isn’t it stunning?! What a stunning dress.

4. Allison says:

This wedding is so perfect. I want to use found’s vintage rentals for my wedding now (whenever that is…). Thank you for sharing!

5. Sarah says:

that is the cutest idea ever! reception-wedding-after party. thanks so much for sharing

6. Julie K. says:

I always liked the idea of weddings somewhere outside, in the park or so and this one only doubled my enthusiasm for them. Everything looks so lively and sunny. And Danni’s friend Ruby is really clever, those flowers and lace decorations look fantastic. I am thinking about using those for my summer garden.

7. Beautiful story! Thanks for a lovely post!
    Jamie Herzlinger

8. Susan says:

Interesting. I was nervous walking down the aisle. Not to be married, just the production of it. I think I’d be too jittery. That being said, the idea of having a big party and then ending with the anticipation of the big day sounds pretty amazing!

I love it when someone can approach a traditional idea like a wedding with a whole new outlook.

9. LM says:

This sounds like a beautiful day. I love how the couple have personalised an event that to me seems so outdated and hideous! I hate some of the wedding traditions that no longer make sense. I love that you had the reception first because you wanted to! Everything in the photos is gorgeous- individual picnic baskets= pure genius! I wish I had a friend like Ruby! Congratulations to you both!

10. Congratulations Danni and Nick! Incredibly beautiful wedding pics!! love the details…Thanks for sharing…

11. I am beginning to think about planning my own wedding and think these guys have some super ideas. Also, beautiful colour scheme, many congratulations to you both.

12. Courtney says:

I love hear pics! You all are so creative and all the small details are beautiful! Where did you all get Nick’s clothing? I’m getting married in May and my fiancé loves his look. Thanks :)

13. laurel says:

What a pretty wedding! I think the reception before the wedding is super awesome (although personally I’m too superstitious to do it myself)!

14. Carolyn says:

Wow, so pretty! I love unique weddings.

15. So amazing! I can’t believe all of the unique ideas here. Danni just came in to my shop today and I am so glad I caught this! Great great great.

16. Elaine says:

I love the picnic idea, very charming! However, the lounge area and welcome table seemed like they should be in an Anthropologie store – while I love that look in a store, it seemed strange in such a natural setting. I agree with the earlier comment that called it overwrought. Too much going on, and very self-conscious. What’s up with the bookshelf with books arranged on it?

17. I’m no romantic, but this looks beautiful (and I’m a sucker for that sandwich packaging). If only it didn’t depend on the weather!