we like it wild: inspired by earthy spring

This week’s color and texture palette was inspired by a photo-walk around our neighborhood. We strolled around noticing crinkled leaf buds, new flowers popping out and the remnants of winter (bare sticks and nests of briars) before they are covered with new growth. We took lots of images without having any particular theme in mind but quickly saw a pattern when we sat down at the computer to look at our shots. The typical pastel colors that pop up a bit later in the season were far from our minds as an earthier palette of deep reds, rust, yellowy green and cream emerged. We decided to create an arrangement inspired by this magically fleeting time of year that happens just before the vegetation gets too thick and bright colors fully develop. — Studio Choo

CLICK HERE for the full post after the jump!

Our inspiration photos include bright moss sprouted from wet brick, a delicate pricker vine, fallen camellia blossoms that have turned a beautiful rusty color, tiny emerging leaves, early blooming banksia rose and a rose bush with a fresh batch of red leaf shoots.

Our arrangement is made with a mixture of market flowers and backyard clippings. We wanted to showcase our earthy palette combined with the look of densely layered growth, delicate petals and unfurling vines and branches.

• plum leaves (before they develop their signature dark color, they are a beautiful rusty red)
  • green and red ranunculus
  • poppies
  • purple hellebore
  • blackberry
  • echinacea pods
  • lichen-covered twigs
  • yellow hyacinth

1. That yellow lichen is a stunner!

2. LovewellPost says:

It gives me great hope that somewhere in this world there is life! We’re getting dumped on right now, and this is a breath of freshness for my day. Thanks!!

3. This is gorgeous! I am really loving the blackberries and other backyard cuttings mixed in…perfect for Spring! Thanks for sharing!

4. Melodye says:

I will have to wait a few weeks, because western PA is still firmly in the throes of winter. This, however, is going to be my “end of March” project!

5. Lucía says:

gorgeous colours!

6. Thanks so much for this – as I sit in my downtown office in Buffalo watching the blizzard outside, this is a welcome distraction. What a find with that lichen!

7. AtelierKari says:

Thanks for your lovely inspiration page. Have a lovely weekend from the norwegian forest!

8. sara says:

Love the earthier palette —spring still feels far, far away for the east coast!

9. This is just too beautiful…the colors are out of this world…for early/pre spring the colors are surprisingly almost autumnal…I’m going to be looking at these images again and again..thanks for sharing, Grace..xx meenal

10. It was -30 degrees Celsius this morning in Calgary so it’s wonderful to see some colorful life in these photos!

11. MelD says:

Er, blackberries in February??!!

12. Marcia says:

I’m reading this while awaiting the approaching big storm (yes, it happens even in Southern California!). These colors and arrangements pop even more when all around me is gray, gray, gray. Gorgeous!!

13. Suzanne says:

I love this idea of the twilight before the spring. I’ve never seen it captured like that.

14. Novi says:

Beautiful beautiful photos! My favorite is the rusty camellia blooms. Nature rewards us with so many wonderful colors, thank you for this reminder and inspiration.

15. Jenny Hoople says:

Absolutely Awesome-Sauce! (I love moss, love these colors!)

16. isabelesque says:

Oooh blackberries are my favourite thing! As are all Studio Choo’s arrangements. Is there any chance of higher resolution or larger images, for gorgeous desktop backgrounds while we work?

17. Debra says:

I’m looking at all the beautiful flowers and the colors are awesome. I went to pick out flowers today to plant in a flower bed on the side of my porch.

18. luscious – and I love how berries have been mixed into the bouquets. What a great idea.

19. I love when bouquets have unexpected fauna like the berries – it makes them seem even more luscious and abundant.

20. Oooooh, this is stunning! I absolutely am filing this one away for when the snow clears… and I love the idea of blackberries… I use them when they are “budding” but the red/black ones are gorgeous! And so easy to grow LOL… also helllebores are a favourite, as are rannunculus and I didn’t know there were green/red types that dark. You have opened up a new world for me, thank you!

21. I love rustic.Great pictures.

22. Lisa says:

What a wonderful idea! Way to pay attention to the small beautiful details people miss about early spring. I watch every new leaf and bud with anticipation, it is great to see the small steps celebrated in this arrangement. Love it!

23. natasha says:

i LOVE these gorgeous bouquets and arrangements!! the organic shapes and rich hues are gorg!

24. david says:

Love the mossy bricks!

25. Morgan G says:

Yes, the bricks! Those are amazing. Want ’em.

26. Leah says:

I loved this arrangement so much when I saw it that it’s now become the inspiration for my wedding flowers. Thanks so much!

27. Roni says: