valentine’s arrangement: floret flowers

Today I’m thrilled to share another Valentine’s Day arrangement idea from Erin Benzakein of Floret Flowers. If you don’t already read her blog, get ready to fall in love right here. Erin grows all of her own flowers on a farm in Washington, and well, we’re all huge fans of hers. Welcome, Erin! xo, grace

Growing up, Valentine’s Day was always one of my favorite holidays! The days leading up to it were so exciting, with hours spent making and sharing valentines, feasting on brightly frosted cupcakes and little chocolates, and enjoying school parties and secret crushes.

Inspired by these sweet memories, I decided to whip up a little Valentine’s bouquet infused with love, fragrance and some beautiful local flowers. — Erin

CLICK HERE for the full bouquet how-to after the jump!

For this bouquet I used

• 1 bundle of tulips
  • ½ bundle of hyacinths
  • ½ bundle of stock
  • a handful of greens (whatever you can scrounge up locally)
  • 1 bundle of mixed twigs, branches and seed pods (again, poke around your neighborhood or garden)
  • a handmade love note
  • 1 bar of good chocolate (optional)

Basic Supplies

• clippers
  • a simple vase
  • flower food

This little bouquet was so easy and fun to create.

1. I started by filling my vase with a mix of evergreens, making sure to let some of them droop over the edges. Then I added in some stiffer, more upright foliage (artichoke leaves and honeysuckle) to the center of the bouquet for added height and structure. After my vase was generously “greened up,” I began adding in the vertical flowers, alternating between fragrant stock and hyacinths. Sigh . . . Once these were in place, I filled in any holes with the bright and beautiful tulips.

*When working with tulips, be sure to note that they continue to grow in the vase, so you’ll initially want to cut them a few inches shorter to compensate for their stretching.

2. After the bouquet was nice and full, I tucked in a few twigs, branches and seedpods to add interest and some sweet detail.

3. Once the arrangement was complete, I added a little love note (written by a tiny boy), a fancy bar of chocolate and voila, a sweet Valentine’s surprise!

I own a small organic flower farm (Floret) and design studio about an hour north of Seattle. We specialize in growing fragrant, old-fashioned blooms . . . real flowers, as I like to call them, and supply floral designers, grocery stores, brides and flower lovers from March through November.

1. Sarah K says:

What a beautiful bouquet! I love how soft the colors are. So much more special than red roses. Thanks for sharing.

2. Carolyn says:

these are SO beautiful! i am a huge fan of having flowers in my house at all times, whether they are a gift or i treat myself. thanks for the how-to!

3. amy says:

Oh my goodness.

I hope that we get to work together one day and shoot a wedding that you do the flowers for! (worst grammatical sentence of all time, but the sentiment holds true)

4. Melissa says:

I love this bouquet! I had tulips in my wedding bouquet so they will always be special for me. Thanks for the tutorial!

5. Jennie says:

So lovely, as always, Erin. Love the mixing of wintery greens with spring-y blooms…a beautiful reminder that warm days will soon appear among the cold gloomy ones. :-)

6. amym says:

Amazing, Erin! I’m def. the president of your fan club, okay? Okay.

7. Great advice! The twigs are a great way to add a touch of personality to the beautiful arrangement

8. Cindy says:

Beautiful bouquet! Are you able to harvest fresh flowers now (greenhouses?). We don’t have any flowers yet here (Bellingham), but the crocus look like their thinking of blooming soon.

9. These flower arrangements are superb and is so high quality, they are a piece of art in themselves and will make a great Valentine’s present, or for any other occasion really.

10. gorgeous arrangements! i also love the image of the vintage watering cans. so pretty!

11. Micha says:

Beautiful. I especially like the foraged seedpods!

12. Betsy says:

You can even imagine the way the bouquet will smell just looking at it! It must be spectacular in person.