sneak peek: sarah hvass

This bright and playful Copenhagen home that artist Sarah Hvass shares with her husband and two children certainly reflects her whimsical illustrations. The home is located in Østerbro, Copenhagen, in an area called “the potato rows” — a small network of houses that were originally working-class three-story brick townhouses built in the late 1800s. Throughout the home, Sarah has balanced her love of color with a neutral backdrop — the white floors just make all that color pop! Thanks, Sarah! And thanks to Espen Sørensen for the lovely photos! — Amy A.

Image above: My worktable is from Italy. I fell in love with it because of the beautiful pattern that was created from tiny pieces of rosewood. The chair is made by my father-in-law, Johnny Sørensen, and is fun because we also have a miniature one.

Image above: The yellow lamps are designed by Anders Pehrson and are called “Bumling.” They actually used to hang above the ping-pong table in my boyfriend’s childhood home. (If you look closely, you can see that they are covered with small dents from the ping-pong ball.)

CLICK HERE for more of Sarah’s Copenhagen home!

Image above: My twin sister Line Hvass made this bedcover. You can turn it around and every triangle has its own colour. The painting is my own.

Image above: I love the textural effect of different kinds of wood. The drawer and the bowls are Danish designs from the sixties. Above hangs one of my paintings called “Fields.”

Image above: This old flower painting measures 230 cm. x 180 cm. It was supposed to hang in the living room, but when we got it home, it was too big to go up the stairs. Now it has to hang in the kitchen. It looks like it belongs in a castle, but I think it is funny to cram it into a small house like ours.

Image above: In every window we have a curtain in a different color. Lime, grass green, pink, wine red, purple, coral, turquoise, blue, etc. I choose all the colors, and they are in the same scale on each floor. When I ordered them in the shop, I asked the shop assistant whether he thought it was a good idea. He did not say he did not like it, but warned me that our neighbors might think we had started a kindergarten in our home.

Image above: This African mask we got from our family in South Africa. I just had to paint it fluorescent pink to really like it. But now I collect them and paint them in various colors.

1. It is an amazing house: so fresh, colorful, inspiring. I can feel the personality of the owner/designer in every room and it seems to be a very imaginative and playful, yet well balanced person.

2. Veronica says:

Great artwork!
    I love the style for wall colors, kitchen tools & furniture.
    Lovely framed artwork at the children room!

3. StarR page says:

Insane, Insane! I LOVE this place! The colors, the furniture, the cleannessssss! the style,the health food factor
    Just love the place!!

4. Eva says:

whaaaa, that’s soooo cool. great, unexpected stuff.

5. Mila says:

unusual, unexpected and beautiful…thank you!

6. This looks and feels like such a happy home. I really enjoyed this one.

7. Merysa says:

The homeowner says she loves her backyard the most, but it looks like none of those photos made it into the posting. I would actually love to see a sneak peak section purely on DIY landscaping. I think most people who love this blog would find it interesting, too.

8. Sarah Hvass says:

Thank you for all your friendly comments. It really means a lot to me.
    I will try my best to answer them all.
    (Elizabeth) I found the German flower painting in an antique shop on the island Funen, in Denmark.
    (Tanya Patterson) The print you refer to is actually one of my paintings.
    The title is “Fried eggs” and it is acrylic paint on an unpainted linen canvas.
    (Sara) The wall behind the staircase has got a vintage wallpaper in bronze from Sweden.
    (Analisa) Our dining table is from Hay. The chairs are designed by Rud Thygesen & Johnny Sorensen, produced by Magnus Olesen in 1972.
    (Hanna) The painting in the first picture is unfortunately sold. I can send you an email with available pieces if you want.
    (Jane) It is a bit difficult for me to point out what wood is typical Danish. We have many kinds of wood, but maybe oak. Regarding what shade of grey is particular Scandinavian I would say white:).
    (Stephanie) The bedspread with the elephants is bought in Thailand. The bordeaux bedspread with the triangles is for sale. Just send me an email if any interest.
    Hope this answers your questions – if not please let me know.
    Concerning my backyard, I have not got any photos of it but I guess I have to take some and then see what I can do. I do not like hiding anything from you.

9. Emily says:

In the photo of the purple curtain, how did you hang that up? I didn’t see a tension rod, but it looks like whatever it is, it’s curving on the sides. Is it a piece of flexible curtain track? I want to do something similar…is this what you used? :

10. Isabel says:

Congratulations! I love your paints, Where did you by the paint of the dinnig?

11. Sarah Hvass says:

@Isabel thank you. The painting in the dining room is my own artwork. The title is “Cirkus” and it is sold now.

12. Chip Hwass says:

Hi My name is Chip Hwass (Hvass). My daughter Sydney (18) was just admitted to Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota Florida.

There are only 5 Hvasses in the US. We must be related because of the art. My ancients came from Aalborg, DK I like your work.

13. Sarah Hvass says:

Hi Chip. Thank you for your nice comment and congratulations with your daughter! It is possible that we are related, although there are a lot more people with our name in Denmark than in the U.S.

14. Ana says:

Beautiful! Congratulations!

15. Anastasia says:

wow! I cant admire your design! The only thing i can say is WOW!

16. AnaStar says:

Now you are my favorite designer! =)