living in: sleepless in seattle

by

As much as I wish I could fight it, it’s undeniably Valentine’s Day season. While I generally fall into the bah humbug category, I figure if we’re going to do it at all, we’re going to do it right. That’s where Sleepless in Seattle comes in — hands down the most gushy, romantic, gag-inducingly sweet chick flick ever centered around Valentine’s Day. Fess up, you liked it, too.

1. Eli’s Mail Order Tiramisu, $64; 2. Heart Pendant, $80; 3. Muji Umbrella, $14; 4. Hunter Wellies, $110; 5. Erector Empire State Building, $60; 6. Crosley Kitchen Phone, $178; 7. Crosley Radio Duet, $54; 8. Fjällräven Backpack, $40; 9. Kallisto Teddy Bear, $76

In 1993, Meg Ryan was basically the quirky girl’s ideal — pretty, smart and just wacky enough to make boys weak in the knees. She also rocked a vintage kitchen and a pair of highwaisted trousers like no other, all undeniable points in her favor, so it’s no wonder that Tom Hanks fell for her right away. Even if I’ll be sitting this Valentine’s Day out, I’ll be sure to channel a little Sleepless in Seattle in the off-chance that I’ll need to make a midnight dash up the Empire State Building. It never hurts to dream, right? — Amy M.

1. Vintage Pink Canisters, $40; 2. Green Band Cup and Saucer, $10; 3. Marble Green Apple, $10; 4. An Affair to Remember, $14; 5. Crosley Nomad Radio, $40; 6. Cast-Iron Skillet, $33; 7. 1930s Deco Ring, $2,500; 8. Airmail Envelopes, $1/set of 20; 9. Miu Miu Cotton Boyfriend Pants, $380; 10. Northstar 30″ Range, $4,595

1. Ginger says:

… “Sleepless in Seattle” and “An Affair to Remember” are my two favorites … and I moved to Seattle a few years after seeing it … about that boat ride from houseboat on Lake Union to Alki beach in West Seattle, couldn’t happen but who cares! … next favorite, “French Kiss” – all have great soundtracks!

2. Laura says:

Best movie ever! Soooo romantic. Love your post!. Lau.

3. Trinity says:

LOVE that movie, watched it again today thanks to your lovely post, makes me feel all valentinsey.

4. d*s fan says:

absolute perfection!

5. Josh says:

When I saw Sleepless in Seattle listed, I hoped I would finally get a resource for Tom’s umbrella. I have searched for years trying to find one with more than 8 sections.

Does anyone know of any sites to try?

This is a wonderful service and I read each one, remembering the look and feel of each film. Thank you for doing these.

6. Megan says:

After reading this post, I immediately went home and watched this movie :) Truly, it is the only thing I like about Valentine’s Day!

7. Love this collection! This movie has stood the test of time (all 18 years…), but it has given me faith that there are still great, classic romantic movies to be made!

8. Susan says:

This is a fun one & I admit I watched it on Netflix Instant about a month ago. Hanging head in shame.

Re: the stills & permission. Many are screenshots, it seems to me. These aren’t the ones released.

9. Sylvia says:

Just saw this wonderful movie again last night – looooove it in so many ways. Serious question, though.

Quoting “Steve” (February 9th, 2011), Can anyone source the painting behind Tom Hanks (sitting on the bench w/son)?

10. Raffaella says:

And What about the bench???!! I’d love to have it in my home … Do you know the name or something? I think i’ve seeen it in some other movies … Don’t you?