graphic usa: an illustrated guide to 25 cities

Speaking of city guides, one of my big dreams is to one day turn the D*S city guides into an illustrated book that people can carry with them (or on their phone) when they’re traveling across the globe. I’ve been squirreling away little design and layout ideas for a while now, so when I saw this email from Ziggy Hanaor about a brand new city guide book written and illustrated by graphic designers, I was instantly smitten. Packed to the brim with creative illustrations, interesting layout designs and, of course, fantastic tips for traveling, Graphic USA (Cicada Books, 2011) is a wonderful example of how fun and creative city guide books can be. Ziggy describes the book as an “alternative guidebook,” but I think most of you will find their recommendations for great places in each of these 25 American cities to be right up your alley. If you’re interested in traveling with some great local tips the next time you hit the road, click here to check out and pick up a copy of Graphic USA. You can also check out more of Ziggy’s great books about wallpaper, crafts and ceramics right here. xo, grace

1. Leslie says:

Fantastic & so fun! I’m getting one.

2. Alesya Opelt says:

Love that they included Charleston! I’m going to check it out.

3. What a great idea- especially because designers have such a unique way of experiencing their own cities- and then telling that story/experience. Giving them opportunity to tell the story through art- even better!

4. I did a little squeal when I saw Anchorage was mentioned. YAY for Alaska! (And Portland, of course, but everybody loves Portland.) I am definitely going to be checking out this book!

5. amy says:

oooh! Love this!

6. I’m no designer but I’m looking for a cool place to relocate. Ohio just isn’t it for me. Thanks for the suggestions! Now I can mention some places to my wife.

7. Jen C. says:

Oh my goodness, living in Austin can be really rough! I’m still laughing…

8. Kristen says:

I love this! I’m pre-ordering one now. So excited to see Baltimore mentioned twice on d*s today :)

9. Grace, I love your idea of an illustrated city guide! I hope that it materializes in the near future.

10. Marija says:

Wow, what an inspiration!! This is so awesome!

11. This made me smile! How fun would it be to tote one of these around a new city. I’m seriously thinking of getting one.

12. lizzie says:

what an inspiring and interesting project! it looks amazing, can’t wait to check it out!

13. Tomoko T says:

Exciting idea!I’m looking forward to see it.

14. lauren says:

i LOVE design guides. so excited to see kansas city front & center!

15. Emma says:

I love this idea! Yay, for Austin love. So true about the Red River Liver – haha!

16. rachael says:

detroit over cleveland? baloney!

17. Neeray says:

What what Bay View on DS!? Awesome

18. Sara says:

Awesome indeed. Bay View!

19. laurel says:

Fantastic! I can’t wait to buy this!

20. Leigh-Ann says:

Having lived hard-adjacent in Austin for 8 years, I can attest to the veracity of that diagram!

21. Grace- I love your idea for making your city guides into a book! Yay! Do it! (o: