diy project: vintage arrow valentine

A good girlfriend of mine has an amazing vintage arrow collection. She displays them all in her home on the wall and bunched together in containers. This February, I decided to whip up a Valentine’s Day DIY inspired by her collection. The big day of love is only five days away, but luckily that’s plenty of time to make some cute and easy arrows for your sweetie. Happy Valentine’s Day! — Halligan

[Update: In our research for this project, we came across a range of great projects involving vintage arrows. Danielle from The Thompson Family blog did a similar painted arrow project that we love and that you can check out right here .]

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• wooden dowels
  • wooden hearts
  • feathers
  • paint
  • string
  • paper
  • file
  • sandpaper
  • industrial or wood glue, such as E6000
  • paper or craft glue
  • paintbrushes
  • masking or painter’s tape
  • printer and computer
  • scissors
  • small saw (if you can’t find dowels cut to size)

First, take a look at the spacing chart to see where to tape-off for striping and feather placement!

1. Download wraps here. Print and cut them out.

2. File one dowel tip down to a “v” shape to fit into the crevice of a heart.

3. Paint dowels with your base color.

4. Using tape, mask off the stripes and paint. After the paint is dry, remove the tape. For an aged look, lightly sand the stripes. Paint the wooden hearts.

5. Cut off one side of the feathers. It’s much easier to cut against the grain.

6. Place a bead of glue along the end of the arrow and place the feather side in the glue. Space four feather halves evenly around the ends of each arrow.

7. Glue and wrap the paper templates around the arrow.

8. Wrap with string to add extra stripes.

9. Give to your Valentine.

1. Teresa says:

This is absolutely adorable!! Thanks so much for sharing. :) Would LOVE to do this with the kids… or for the classroom party. :)

2. lush bella says:

this is SO creative and inspiring! very cool!

3. caitlin says:

adorable. may make some just to have around!

4. again another cute idea!

5. this is such a creative, unique idea -these would be great as decor for a valentine’s day party! love the heart shaped arrow tips.

btw, your DIY projects are some of my favorite D*S posts!

6. How sweet and a little Peter Pan like. Thanks for posting this!!!!

7. What a fantastic idea! I love all of the possibilities with the colorful stripes.

8. Michelle says:

Forgive me, but anyone know where the girl’s boots are from in the last picture?? Lovely!

9. so great! I can invision some really awesome engagement pictures with these.

10. mer says:

super great. thanks!

11. Camila says:

12. heather says:

Oh my gosh. These would be a perfect accompaniment to a vintage valentine. CUTE!

13. Jasmine says:

super dooper cute!

14. Emily says:

Halligan’s projects get better and better every time! Now THIS one is my favorite!!!

15. Chelmander says:

BEST PROJECT EVER! love it.

16. EMILY says:

I truly love these.

17. Lois Keenan says:

I got the boots at a thrift store! Hooray for Halli!

18. db says:

such a clever idea. adorable and really well explained/executed.. tempting!

19. Jennifer says:

The link for the wrap downloads is broken. :-( Did it work for anyone else?

20. Kanya says:

I am totally making these this weekend!

21. jenn says:

with some editing, this would work with pencils instead of dowels. right?

22. Cara says:

I made these this weekend and have a few tips just incase anyone reads the comments later before making them-
    1. if you paint a coat of gel or matte medium at your tape lines before painting your colour the colour won’t bled under the tape.
    2. a couple rings of gold paint marker look super realistic on these. I used Sakura’s pen-touch and really loved the effect.
    I also painted my hearts (and carved them a small bit) to look like flint in a bronzey-silver because I couldn’t find thicker heart cut outs and had to laminate layers of balsa wood ones. They looked quite sharp (ha!) done that way.

Thanks for the great idea!

23. Thanks so much for sharing this. I’m doing a project that needs an arrow, and couldn’t find what I needed at the flea markets. This is better than perfect!!

24. Teri says:

I could do this with some large bamboo skewers that I already have. Very cute!

25. Debbie says:

Download templates for arrow labels is not working. It says not available. I am posting this in 2015.

26. cheryl says:

scanned most comments…for the kids why not use pencils and construction paper……just an idea

27. Brenda says:

This adorable. Def gonna do and it gave me another idea:)I’m going to do an offshoot of this using straws with my daughter. We’ll use them as valentines for her class. The students name will be on the heart and a rolled up message stuffed inside the straw.
    Let the fun begin!