diy project: scandinavian-inspired wooden heart

Every once in a while, I like to try out DIY projects that are very simple, almost too simple: few materials, even fewer steps and no big requirements for effort or money. There’s a time and a place for a massive, complex DIY, but right now, when it’s rainy and everyone I know is catching colds and sniffles, I want something I can polish off in the time it takes to drink a cup of tea and watch a couple old episodes of 30 Rock . . . man, that first season was good!

This simple balsa-wood heart is inspired by the minimalist, nature-inspired interiors I’ve been admiring lately, like the ones I imagine Kim Krans of The Wild Unknown might possess. This heart is so, so easy to make and very versatile for display around the home. Stick it to a wall, hang it in a corner, prop it on a shelf — it’s pretty easy to make use of it. I hope you have as much fun with it as I did. Enjoy! — Kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

Materials

• two balsa-wood strips (1/32″ x 2″ x 35″)
  • wood stain
  • foam brush for staining
  • hot-glue gun
  • scissors

Instructions

1. Remove stickers and any sticky residue from the balsa strips and stain one side of each strip. Be careful not to let any stain drip over the edges or get on the other side of the wood, and leave the strips in a well-ventilated place until the stain is completely dry.

Note: You’ll notice that in my process shots, the wood is not stained. This is because I decided to stain at the end, so I could see what the heart looked like completely untreated. If you are sure you want to stain, it’s best to do this step before assembly; however, if you want to wait to make the decision, it is relatively easy to stain the interior of the heart once you’ve assembled it.

2. Take one strip and gently pull one edge until it overlaps the other edge, forming a teardrop shape out of the strip. You want the edges to be almost exactly perpendicular to each other when they overlap, but then pushed to a slightly more acute angle, as you can see here. Put a big dab of hot glue between the edges, then press firmly and hold until the glue sets. Repeat with the second strip.

3. Once both strips are in identical teardrop shapes, hold them so that their bases overlap (similar to the way you assembled the strips in step 2). The right side of the left teardrop and the left side of the right teardrop should overlap each other and form a straight line until the shapes begin to curve away, forming a heart shape.

4. While holding the heart shape in place, put a dab of hot glue between the two bases and pinch firmly while the glue sets. Now your heart shape is firmly adhered and cannot be adjusted.

5. Snip off the overlapping edges with a sharp pair of scissors to clean up the bottom edge of the heart shape. If they fray a bit, you can easily clean up the edges with a fine-grit sandpaper.

6. Now your heart is ready to hang or prop up for display. The piece is so lightweight that you can attach it to a wall with adhesive or sticky glue dots, but if you wish to make the display more permanent, you can use a very tiny tack or nail through the base to hold it in place. You can also hang the heart or prop it up on a tabletop or shelf for a simple, modern display.

YOU’RE DONE!

1. What a clever idea, it’s an instant sculpture. One of those “I wish I’d thought of that” moments. This could springboard a thousand pieces of wall art!

2. Lovely in its simplicity. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. What a cool, simple and cheap idea!!

-Chic Done Cheap

4. Danielle says:

how simple and beautiful!

5. Ashely says:

Beautiful! Where did you get the wood strips?

6. Liz says:

Seems like this could easily turn into a butterfly, too!

7. Karissa says:

Oh! heritage! It’s so beautiful and simple.

8. Brittany says:

This is so simple but elegant, and just plain cute! I’ve already got many ideas on what to do with it. Must try! Thanks!!!! =D

9. Emily says:

This is very sweet and pretty, Kate.

10. Totally making one. Love how simple and organic the shape is.

11. L says:

This is brilliant! Love the idea of simplicity!

12. Meg says:

There’s a more complex version of something like this made with basketry reed, which my mom (a basketmaker) makes as a christmas ornament — she calls them Alleghany Snowflakes, and they come out as five pointed stars with a woven center. They’re one of her best sellers all year round, not just in the Christmas season, and people have recently been asking her to make bigger and bigger ones for wall-art.

13. So pretty – I love this so much. It would look great in my apartment :) Might have to try this!

14. Pistachio says:

That is so sweet! I *heart* it :)
    Cheers!!

15. Molly Cooper says:

We had to do a balsa wood project in design class… this project of Kate’s looks WAY better than the complicated mess I created! What a beautiful, clean design :)

16. db says:

SUPER cute and easy to do. perfect!

17. Danielle says:

Great idea! I love that it says ‘heart’ w/o screaming it. :)

18. Christina says:

I LOVE THIS. I am fully obsessed with the Scandinavian look and I appreciate so much how this simple, inexpensive project can bring a little of that feel into a room. And I agree with what others have said, the simplicity of this lends itself to reinterpretation and exploring other fun shapes and structures with balsa wood. THANK YOU!

19. Making Happy says:

“Wood” normally not consider myself a heart person, but LOVE this! So beautifully and elegantly simple – I’m doing it!! THANKS!

20. This is so fun! Making it this weekend! Thanks =)

21. So simple and so beautiful!

22. mbb. says:

love it! so easy and so fantastic – will definitely be making one for my new space this summer!

23. germaine says:

can i use any other wood my town is small dont have any craft store but i do have palms?

1. grace says:

hi germaine!

i bet palms would work- but you can totally order this type of wood online too :)

grace

24. shani says:

Would this project still work if the strips were painted with color instead of staining? I’ve never worked with balsa wood, so I was wondering if it would change the pliability…

25. Barbara says:

I love it…but where do you get the balsa Wood, Michaels? Joann Fabrics?

26. I adore a simple heart motif that can be created without seeming trite. This one is so lovely!

27. Barbara says:

I tried staining this on one side and the stain seeped thru to the other side and I only used a small bit of stain them I wiped it off. Would conditioning the wood help? or did I do something wrong? Please help.

28. Miss L says:

I tried this project by staining the wood first and it made the wood too stiff. I was able to bend the wood prior to staining but after staining it snapped when I tried to bend it.

Perhaps staining after it’s constructed is a better idea.

29. Cio says:

I’ve been wanting to work on this project for two weeks now cannot find the wood in that exact measurement. I’ve been to Michael’s and 3 other art supply stores. Any suggestions??

30. Danielle says:

Is there a specific kind of balsa to use or not to use? I’ve tried about three different times and it keeps snapping in half. :(

31. Mr. C says:

I would recommend steam bending the wood to make sure it doesn’t snap. Try holding the wood over a pot of boiling water for a while, then bending it REALLY slowly (still over the steam) into the shape you want.

32. breanne says:

it seems like there were a lot of people who wanted to make this project, but not a lot of feedback or help? i’ve had this pinned for years and have been really wanting to make it. i can’t seem to find the wood either. a source would be helpful? thanks!

33. Flo says:

I definitely have to do this. I have veneer stripes at home, and it will work great, as well. If you like it, too you can try it with a hot glue gun and it is pretty easy. Another pro is that you can select the color from a quite wide range.