before & after: elsa’s bedroom + elise’s fireplace nook

Many design-loving people suffer from a bit of decorating ADD — I know I do. I tire easily of something I’ve recently been obsessing over, and the walls in my apartment have four layers of paint just from my tenancy alone. But one room I will always advocate changing up periodically is the bedroom. It’s such an intimate and crucial space where you go to unwind.

I can only imagine the joy that Elsa must have felt in completing this incredible bedroom makeover. Enlisting the help of designer Kirsten Krason, Elsa created an inspiration board and went to town transforming this room into her dream space. The dark walls are dramatic but not overbearing, the bedding is crisp and cheery, and the zigzag curtains are pure fun. I love the mixture of darks and brights, stripes and florals, and all the varied textures in the bedding, furniture and wall art.

I know I was just advocating giving in to decorating whims, but I might backtrack and say that you can stick with something if it’s a real keeper, like this one. Fantastic work, Elsa! — Kate

CLICK HERE for more of Elsa’s bedroom and Elise’s fireplace nook after the jump!

Like Elsa’s bedroom makeover before it, this fireplace nook from Elise is greatly benefiting from the addition of bright, cheery colors. It’s amazing what a bit of color theory can do for a room, isn’t it? Elise was asked to redesign a room in the offices of HearitFirst, a music company in Nashville, TN, and turn the space into a multifunctional zone for hanging out and conducting video interviews with artists. I love that Elise used simple compositions of plates and wall art to provide visual interest and coziness to the room, and when has a pop of yellow ever failed to brighten and energize a space? The result is charming and versatile: mission accomplished! Great job, Elise!

1. Love this room! I’m planning on doing something in the same palette, have that same fabric from on my inspiration board for curtains and it’s great to see them made into curtains in this room, they look fantastic!

2. Les says:

I really really really really LOVE this bedroom…

3. Elsa says:

@Orangesugar the nightstands are Ikea Rast dressers painted in a warm white with knobs I picked up at Hobby Lobby. The fabric on the chair is from Calico Corners called Silhouette Turquoise.

For those asking about the color on the walls, the deep charcoal is Benjamin Moore’s Almost Black–I had it mixed in Behr’s primer + paint in one. The rest of the walls are Behr’s Anonymous.

4. Love the patterns used in the fabric!

5. Gorgeous. The walls are a dark color without sucking the light out of the room.

6. Elli Davis says:

Wow, if you didn’t tell, I would never have guessed it is the same room in the pictures. Btw, I always knew blue, yellow and white look good together but the dark details make this combination a lot more interesting. Love it!

7. Michele says:

Love the colors and the patterns.I have been looking for some decorating ideas for my bedroom. You have inspired me with your lovely decor!

8. kspejewski says:

It must have been quite a feat to change the eight foot ceiling to a vaulted ceiling. Great color choices.

1. grace says:

please see our comments above about the room mixup.

9. Natalie says:

This room is so gorgeous! I especially love those orange, chevron drapes!

Such a fantastic transformation! :)

10. Curtains says:

Nice curtains and pole. Make the window look much better.

11. janice says:

Thanks for clearing that up! I am going to be moving later this summer and will be following along the blog for ideas and color inspiration etc !

12. Unbelievable! perfect transformation … a great weekend to you!

13. kodie says:

oh this bedroom is exactly what i have been putting together in my head! just lovely!

14. Molly says:

Hi! Love the room. Where are the lamps from?

15. i would like to know where to get a hold of fabric like that used for the curtains. Love love love this room…

16. Susan says:

Definitely great work, love the pillow an wall decoration