before & after: elle’s trash-to-treasure designs

I love it when Before & After projects combine several old items into one shiny new design. These two pieces from Elle are both great examples of this; I’m particularly impressed with the transformation of an old fan faceplate into the base for a lovely Capiz pendant lamp. Elle’s creativity is inspiring me to go to my local salvage shop and see what two items I can piece together. You can see more of Elle’s trash-to-treasure designs on her site, aptly named Switcheroom! Great work, Elle! — Kate

1. Brittany says:

Gorgeous! I love Elle’s blog and am so happy she decided to email her projects in!

2. I love the colour of the side table! So cheery.

3. So creative! I will def have to start following Switcheroom!

4. Amanda Hill says:

Holy Cow! That is so clever and stunning…I am totally inspired to make my own!

5. so creative! I will def have to start following Swichteroom!

6. Thank you so much Kate for featuring my projects! I’m so psyched to see them here! and thank you guys, I’m happy you like these little projects of mine.

Have an amazing day everyone!

7. riye says:

That light fixture is fantastic! I always see people’s old fan dumped on the sidewalk on bulky trash day. I might have to make one for myself. Thanks Grace and Elle!

8. Whoa, how genius is that light fixture? You can’t really tell what it was in its past life!

9. Kiti says:

I have the same frame in blanco and I was wondering in what colour I’ll paint it ( I was thinking about black ), but that yellow it’s not bad at all!

10. Andrea B says:

I’m blown away by the lamp. I usually pride myself in seeing the potential in things with “good bones” but I never ever would have thought of using an old fan face to make a hanging lamp.

It’s beautiful.

11. FinderMaker says:

The fan reuse is sheer genius! The possibilities for what could be hung from that framework are endless, though the capiz shells look fab! Well done!

12. I love these. Makes me look around my cottage and think what am I tired of and what can I combine to make it different. Great posts.

13. Jennifer says:

You made a chandelier out of a osculating fan cover?! That is amazing.

14. Christi says:

the capiz lamp is genius, turned out so pretty!

15. Ali says:

Super cool bedside table! I love that!

16. Susie says:

Fallling in love with painted furniture. Can you give some tips? oil or water base? Sprayed or brushed? How do you avoid brush marks? Comments from any diyselfers welcome. Thanks.

17. what an innovative idea for the nightstand. I love it.

18. Abha says:

That capiz chandelier made from a fan is amazing! It’s a great DIY for something that always seems too expensive. Any chance we could get a how-to?

19. Dayce Cruise says:

Love the idea with the fan and the beads’ curtain. If we like other looks like country, we can use other curtains like the one made with brown beads and make it for other rooms or for a reading corner. Nice, and those are inexpensive, affordable ideas. Thanks!!!

20. Briana says:

This is a stunning display of “upcycling” pieces.

21. Always so creative! Love the ideas!

22. ligaya says:

really nice chandelier! in my island of Panay, Philippines, there is a province by that name: Capiz. Between Panay and Negros islands, these shells abound, though not as plentiful as it was in the 70s.