weekly wrap up + wedding calligraphy

Whew! NYC survived another snowstorm, so I think it’s time to kick back and settle into a snowy weekend. AC and I are pounding the pavement tomorrow looking for new apartments (fingers crossed!), so I’ve been busy selling things and gathering ideas for a fresh start in a new space. I can’t wait to start over with some new ideas and a blank canvas. Before I dive into apartment-search land for a few days, I wanted to share these beautiful hand-illustrated illustrations from Holly Hollon‘s wedding. Holly sent them over, and I was blown away by how much she did on her own.

Holly not only created the illustrations for all the invitations, but she did the calligraphy on her own and created little banners for the groom’s cake. I love seeing people apply their own skills to their big day — it always makes things feel so much more special. Holly has shared some images above and below; I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I did. (How sweet are those bridesmaids’ luncheon invites? Watercolored by hand, no less.) Thanks so much to Holly for sharing these details from her big day with us. All photos by Stephen Devries.

I’m heading out to make lists of rental agencies to visit tomorrow, so I’ll see you on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm! xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. the calligraphy is gorgeous… and have fun apartment hunting….

2. Aaisha says:

So lovely! Does she (or someone else) have a blog post about the wedding and all the vendors involved? I would love to see more of her work, as well as the pastry chef who was in charge of the cake. Thanks!

3. Emily says:

so beautiful! haha but ever since your post on “put a bird on it” I cannot help but giggle now every time i see a bird. it’s so funny becuase it’s true! i don’t care i love it anyway!

4. Karen says:

Yay for Holly! I had the pleasure of attending design school with her at Auburn. She is amazing! Beautiful work.

5. Freutcake says:

Amazing! What a talented bride. Hmmm…I think I need to try my hand a calligraphy.

6. Holly Hollon says:

hi aaisha

here is a link to the rest of the wedding pictures

here is a link to my blog where you can see some more of my work

olexa’s did my cake and not only do her cakes look amazing they taste amazing, the inside was chocolate

cafe iz did the pastries

and anne wood handmade made the birds

7. Evalyn says:

I may have to get married just to get those adorable bride and groom birds.

8. Jen Green says:

Gorgeous! So classy, I can’t believe she did it all herself. Thanks for inspiring me to go beyond simple for my DIY projects!

9. Kathryn T says:

WOW!!! The calligraphy and detail is amazing! I can’t imagine doing as much as she did for my own wedding! I checked out her site and the rest of her work is just as amazing!

10. mllep says:

Beautiful detail – and of course the best part is the name Holly Hollon! It sounds like a fabulous character in a children’s book.

11. Ali B says:

So proud of you Holly! Everything was beautiful and perfect as always. You should post pics of your condo soon so everyone can enjoy! P.S. Hi Karen!

12. Christy says:

@Emily – that’s EXACTLY what I was thinking! …that said, they are lovely little guys. ;)

13. vibeke says:

How wonderful and romatic! Those cakes looks delicious!

14. Selina says:

I’m so inspired! The design are simply gorgeous. The wedding must have been perfect! But I checked through and don’t see contact information for this designer. Anyone?

15. Leah says:

Holly Hollon fan club right here!

I knew it was only a matter of time…

16. Mandy says:

I am very lucky to work with Holly every day- everything she does shows her attention to detail and her design talent!

17. Susan says:

Beautiful wedding! Good luck with your apt search!

18. elaine says:

her work is AMAZING!! I love the calligraphy and illustrations!! (also love her blog..adding it to my subs.)

19. Brigette says:

Woohoo for my college roommate getting posted on Design Sponge! Great job as always Holly, keep up the good work

20. Katie Bee says:

Oh my goodness! I am in love with those invites. What incredible calligraphy, and what precious cake toppers.

21. Cile says:

Love everything!

22. Wow, impressive calligraphy skills! It’s definitely adds a personal touch to the beauty of her wedding.

23. meemsnyc says:

Wow, the wedding details are stunning.

24. Barbara says:

Absolutely Luscious!

Note to D*S webster: we need a *chuckle* button to express appreciation for comments. Aren’t we all chuckling at Emily’s bird remark?

25. Teranne says:

Put a bird on it! ;)

26. Lauren says:

The first one was amazing! So cute. :)

27. She did such a wonderful job, I honestly can’t wait to have a wedding just to design. haha! but of course to marry my lovely boyfriend who is snoring right now :)

I’m so amazed with people with such talent, I hope I can become as talented as they are.

Thank you for sharing Grace!

28. the calligraphy is absolutely beautiful!

29. Lupe says:

Every time I see beautiful and unique wedding paraphernalia it makes me want to get married all over again – oh, that and my lovely husband. The color palette here is so elegant and modern. Love it!

30. Lil says:

Those invites to the bridesmaid’s luncheon are the most beautiful invitations perhaps ever.

31. Designbird says:

Thank you for some great wedding inspiration. I´ve just started to collect ideas for my friends wedding and this was helpful.

32. How beautiful are all these things! I just got engaged and I’ve been having a blast trying to put together all the little details :)

33. Wow Holly, that is one amazing wedding! I get a little envious in an admiring way every time I see a geniusly planned and executed wedding, and wish I could go back in time.

Good luck on the apartment search, Grace!

34. Nimue says:

Oh this is all so pretty! and I really need birdies like that on my wedding cake!!!

35. are the birds on cake from Ann Wood? she make bealtyful birds…

36. Tracy K. says:

beautiful work and amazing photos!

Wondering where you got your boots? love them.