sneak peek: reiko kaneko

Given the fun yet sophisticated nature of her ceramics, it’s no surprise that the home of Reiko Kaneko features these same elements of humor. Reiko is drawn to the clean lines and uncluttered aesthetics of Japanese homes but jokes that despite her Japanese heritage, it just doesn’t turn out like that (and it doesn’t help that after every trade show, she ends up swapping products with other great designers). Her home is located in Stoke Newington, in the northeast corner of London, which historically attracted anti-establishment characters like Daniel Defoe, who wrote Robinson Crusoe. These days the area is a vibrant place, full of independent stores, secondhand bookshops and coffee shops. Thanks, Reiko! — Anne

Image above: Airs and Graces chair is something I did for [a] London design festival a while back. We were asked to customize the Ghost Chair by Kartel, and I sent a flock of birds flying through it to make it more ghostly. (Prop birds, so no harmed birds!) The dots of light you see on the wall are little reflections of sunlight bouncing off the mirror balls I have hanging in the window. Especially in winter, with low sun, it reflects back a burst of sunlight into the room, which makes my day.

Image above: The cozy corner of the flat. Margo Selby designed these bed sheets for Habitat with her genius 3D crunched up weaving. Genius because it doesn’t need ironing and looks fantastic.

Image above: The green bottle is a re-blown wine bottle by Klass Kuiken, which I fell in love with at Dutch Design Week. The hanging vase is another hand-blown glass beauty by a good friend, Maggie Williams.

Image above: This is one of the first things I did when I moved in — put up a “Paint by Numbers Pineapples” wallpaper by Jenny Wilkinson. I had a pineapple painting party and had friends coloring them in.  I didn’t know her at the time, but we’ve recently collaborated on an exhibition as Grimm++, and it was great to show the creator her work in action! The sofa was picked up at a charity shop for bargain money a few years back.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Reiko’s home tour after the jump!

Image above: Little bottles of memories include a little bit from the pyramids in Egypt, fine white sands from Dune du Pilat and salt from the flatlands of Camargue in France.

Image above: I’d love a cat but living on a second floor apartment makes it difficult. So for the moment, I’ve consoled myself by cutting out a shadow of my future cat larking around on my door.

1. I love the bookshelves in the bedroom, where are they from? Thanks!

2. Shauna says:

I’m in love with the book holder attached to the wall beside the bed. Where can I find one???

3. Sallie Ann says:

Great wall paper, and interesting trick with the upside down lamps. But organizing books by cover-color is my favorite. It’s what I do, and it totally works for me. Drives my English major friends bananas!

4. lucy says:

Really lovely, can you let me know where the allsorts cushion is from?

5. I’m curious about the bookshelf over her bed. How does that work and where can I get one!? Thanks! e

6. Eva says:

That pineapple wallpaper is genius. And i always wanted that same bed sheet from Habitat!

7. wayhey for London!
    I have a rainbow bookcase & memory jars too:
    love that fruity wallpaper:
    nice ☯

8. ruth ann says:

i will third (or fourth) the bookshelf request…i love that they are floating, but not the typical way.

9. Tanya says:

What a fun home! How can you not wake up with a giant smile living in this home?

10. the boot says:

in love with the color coordinated books! such an easy way to change things up!

11. gila says:

love the bookshelf! where’s it from, please? :)

12. Regina says:

another bookshelf inquiry…where is it from?

13. Reiko says:

Thank you for your lovely comments. The floaty bookshelf is “Sticklebook” by Mode Studio

14. I just love that pineapple wall paper. So sweet!

15. giulia says:

pineapple painting is a fun idea and the wallpaper is great!

16. miffy says:

oh i love the way you captured your travels! would you mind terribly if i followed your inspired idea?

17. kat says:

Could you tell me where you bought the lamps in your bedroom? I just love them!!

18. Reiko says:

The honeycombe lamp is by Kyouei Design in japan.

19. Hollie says:

I think every house needs color-by-number wallpaper! So fun!!

20. Awesome! It’s nice to know I’m not the only crazy person who has a dirt collection

21. dominiqueb says:

little bottles of memories & cat cutout = fantastic ideas!

22. Barbara says:

It’s ALL just right — from the sun dots to the cat shadow and all points between. Thanks for sharing your sources.

23. Alicia says:

i like her collection of dirt.

24. Rakhshari Maya says:

Brilliant… the glass bottle and glass is so adorable… so is the small bottles of memories and yes the bookshelf by the bed…. i love every piece of your home…

25. Helen says:

Love those memory bottles and that re-blown wine bottle
    vase is amazing!

26. Toby says:

RAD pad…Time for Toby to get his books out of boxes
    & make a colour ordered shelf methinks…Thanks for

27. clotilde says:

Thank you for inviting us into your flat, Reiko! I am
    curious about the mirror balls you mention in the first paragraph:
    I love the effect, and I’m trying to picture what they might look
    like. If you have a moment, could you tell us a little more about
    them, and where one might find them? Thank you!

28. melanie says:

love the pineapple wallpaper! that is so cute. i’d do

29. Rosie says:

Oh my, what a lovely flat :) The colours are beautiful –
    really soft and feminine, without being in-your-face girly. It’s
    brilliant! And that bedding… ahh! I really love it! Reiko, if you
    are reading, are the bed sheets something you picked up recently? I
    can see it on the Habitat website but only available in a single
    size, and no mention of the double :( I desperately want it! So
    pretty :)

30. love this home! i have a collection of bottles filled with
    sand from different beaches i have traveled to. (a very inexpensive
    but meaningful “souvenir”) they make me happy whenever i see them.

31. Josie says:

I hope you get to get a real cat soon. It will be very
    happy in your lovely home!

32. Will says:

Interesting to hang lamps upside down. It works! This isn’t
    the first I’ve seen to do this:
    To me thie Holkotter 5210 looks this way as well.

33. boukates says:

I’m in love with the color coordinated books! I’ve started color coordinating my own. Makes them appear more organized and easy on the eyes.

34. georgia says:

I love the little glass vase by Maggie Williams hanging in your window, great colour…I’m off to check if she has a website

35. Sun Memory says:

Thanks to share this great information. It is so useful. I hope that everyone like it. Thanks

36. Alex says:

It looks soooo pretty! Glad to see that my pineapple
    artistic skills have been immortalised after all this time. Loving
    your puss xx

37. Heidi says:

Reiko, I adore your home! Have re-blogged. Thanks for

38. tom g says:

I love the mud collection!

39. w says:

a home where you can feel the personality of the owner without even having to meet her. lovely lovely.

40. noa says:

wow! love that Pineapples wallpaper. brilliant!

41. noa says:

I have just noticed that among the books (in blue) there is a hebrew visual dictionary that was very popular here in the ninetees…