sneak peek: christina weber of studiopatro

Christina Weber has lived in this apartment in the Cow Hollow neighborhood of San Francisco for 12 years. And it’s no wonder she hasn’t wanted to leave — she’s just a block from the Presidio and a short walk to the Crissy Field beach. However, her great location means that space is at a premium, so she has carefully planned for lots of built-in storage and frequently edits her possessions, careful to keep only those that are well chosen and functional. Her work is inspired by elements in nature (she even has a nature blog!), architecture, maps and typography, and I love seeing where that work inspiration intersects with the home she has created. Many thanks to Christina & Lily! Amy A.

My home is a typical city flat with lots of San Francisco’s wonderful light. I love the morning light in my bedroom and the warm afternoon light in my living and dining rooms. My studio is on the lowest level of the building, separate from the flat, quiet and right off the garden. A simple commute of one flight to outdoor stairs! I tried to work with the “bones” of the space — simple decorative woodwork, curved ceilings, 30s cabinetry and yet keep it bright, white and filled with my favorite “friends” (paintings and photography from friends and family, objects and folk art from travels).

Image above: The dining room painting is a favorite. It was painted on the beach in Barcelona by my sister’s former boyfriend. There’s sand mixed in with the paint.

Image above: When I moved into the flat, it had an old 1930s kitchen. For two years, I planned and drew and designed, before completely tearing out the old and building the new. I love to cook, so this is where I spend most of my time.

Image above: More of my favorite things — the Beatles, a doll from San Miguel de Allende, a linen throw by Robert Le Heros in Paris.

Image above: Can you tell I love typography? I painted the “e-a-t” on the wall myself in beautiful Helvetica.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Christina’s sneak peek after the jump!

Image above: The painting is by my sister Karen, and I love how it balances with the round wooden Marimekko tray. I saved and restored the old cabinetry on the right, to keep the original integrity of the flat’s design in place.

Image above: My embroidered linen pillows play with contrasting words and their meanings. Turn them over and they say “still” and “life”.

Image above: The dresser was nine different bright colors when it was in my teen-aged daughter’s room. I’ve painted it white and reclaimed it as mine!

Image above: Lily B. Good, my walking companion.

Image above: My garden became another opportunity to add some pattern to my life . . . the stepping stones in a bed of pea gravel are a favorite place to play for visiting kids. We move them around to create new patterns or create letters.

1. coral says:

I have a sudden desire to add some black and white stripes to my all white dish collection.

2. Ruth Ann: the towel is available from my website, studiopatro.com. It’s “wanderlust” in slate.

3. Hey everyone… your comments are so kind. Thank you! A few notes about sources: the photo over the mantel is from Thomas Arledge, a photographer friend of mine. Primary wall paint color is Kelly-Moore Frost. Coffee table was a taller table that I found years ago, and cut the legs down for the lower height. Embroidered pillows in LR: I designed and had them made. Might be a future product for studiopatro though!

4. cait says:

love the kitchen!! im obsessed with typography too, i so want to steal that “eat” idea…

5. Love this!!! Wonderful little details, and it truly seems like a HOME.

6. LM says:

Love the combination of patterns and textures. Not once did the multiple patterns seem overwhelming and busy because of your clever use of tones and colour. I love this sneak peek, I would love to see more pics of your garden, it looks like you have a beautiful piece of the world back there!

7. Greg Jacobs says:

Gorgeous home, very jealous!

8. Great design work….and great name;)! Can’t wait till my home projects are done and I can feel as serene as your space looks!

9. Hickory Furniture Mart says:

Christina did a great job making use of all of her space. The apartment is beautiful–I’m particularly impressed with the kitchen! http://bit.ly/hexyxU

10. Stacy says:

What a *gorgeous* home! I have been trying for soooo long to find a groovy fireplace screen like yours. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks!

11. Sandie Pope says:

I have been lucky enough to spend a night in the guest room of this wonderful house. Chris has such amazing talent and it’s all over the house. Simple, beautiful,
    uncluttered: just like her products.

12. cc says:

I’m going about to start a kitchen renovation – were all your cabinets custom? I just love the clean lines and how simple they are.

13. Charlene says:

very, very nice!

14. Christian Nova says:

Hi Christina! Awesome photos of your beautiful house!! We wanna come for a visit!!! Christian & Tony

15. Mike Groves says:

Castronovo has been living in Berlin for a couple of years.

Number one or 2 fan so I have direct contact with him everyday.

I too decorated my kitchen with some of his murals. Darker ones though.

Indeed you never get tired of them.

16. connie says: