sneak peek: andrew & matt mccracken of doublenaut

Brothers Andrew and Matt McCracken, the duo behind Doublenaut, have shared this house in west Toronto for the past 4.5 years. Their home also became their studio when the company shrank by a partner. Since they were already living together, it made sense to forgo a studio and set up shop at home. Making the shift from “real jobs” to working for themselves also means they haven’t bought a piece of furniture in the past few years. Luckily most of their style comes from being poster artists, and they’re fortunate enough to have a lot of talented friends and influences whose work decorates their walls. You can see more from Doublenaut here and more of their home here. Thanks, Andrew and Matt! — Anne

Image above: Our fireplace is the first thing you see when you walk in. We don’t have a ton of storage in the living room/studio, so we use what we have. The Wilco poster is by Dirk Fowler.

Image above: One of our cats, Milo, and some show posters by Patent Pending & Aesthetic Apparatus.

Image above: Doublenaut is the design and illustration work of Matt & Andrew McCracken. Working together full-time since 2005, we design just about everything from identities to music packaging but are probably best known for our screen-printed posters. Here Matt is at his desk.

Image above: A shop on Queen St. West was throwing this weird shelf out, so I got a friend to help me carry it back to our office. We got rid of a huge crappy Ikea bookcase and haven’t gotten around to building a new one for these books or my collection of Murray’s pomade tins.

Image above: I bought this table and chair set years ago from a shop in Toronto that makes new retro furniture to order.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Andrew and Matt’s home tour after the jump!

Image above: A lot of the hallways/entrances in the apartment have that cool molding and archProbably our only designer-y piece of furniture is this end table by Douglas Coupland; it’s pretty great, though.

Image above: Box of reference books in an old soap crate that I found in someone’s garbage.

Image above: More concert posters.

Image above: This is above our sink in the kitchen. Ephemera and knickknacks collected over the years. Love my antler cigar cutter.

Image above: Our bathroom has been updated a bit but still has a lot of the super old, cool-looking tile. Print by Geoff McFetridge.

Image above: I bought this flat file on Craigslist back when we had a studio. It’s a behemoth; I never want to move it again.

Image above: Andrew working on sketches.

1. Deadweight says:

Sweet place, guys! NICE.

2. Paulina J! says:

I must say, this is such a cool space and these guys are super organized. I might have to show this to my husband as some “inspiration” to clean his home office :)

3. I think I’m in love ;)

4. annawithlove says:

I love all the artwork on the wall

5. Such an interesting flat, with so many things to look at and wonder about. I love the wide windowsill in the front room, Matt’s clean, uncluttered desk and the word behemoth.

6. Sarah T says:

Yay buds!

7. Matt says:

Two of my best buds – immensely talented and I’m so happy to see anyone, anywhere giving them some much deserved attention…

8. Juney says:

Thanks so much for showing a home that’s stylish, but looks like it belongs to people who make about as much as I do. It balances well with the drool-inducing kitchen refurbs. xoxoxo d*s!

9. As a fellow Torontonian, I am familiar with Doublenaut and love their work…and now I love their home too! What great style!

10. kendal croix says:

the checkered table is so great and i love the stacks of books.

11. db says:

GREAT place. very very nice. good job guys.

12. Steve Lam says:

happy belated birthday dudes! these guys did my tattoo art almost a decade ago.

13. Eric Blair says:

I’m totally jealous of that Glenn Danzig poster! I’ve wanted that for years – not because of Shepard Fairey, but because of Danzig.

14. Loving all the concert posters.

15. Lois says:

I love the painted brick fireplace, and the cat is adorable!

16. Awesome feature about two super rad guys! Congrats Matt and Andrew, we heart you two and love the place!

17. RB says:

Um, am I the only one wondering why these guys are allowed to be single? Come on, ladies!

18. Beth L. says:

I’m seriously loving all the Douglas Coupland books in the “weird shelf” photo.

19. bargain bex says:

andrew: i’m single, if you’re single … just sayin’ … so i could get the chance to get a peek at your rad pad in person ;)

yet another beautiful space, ds. you did done do it again.

20. serena says:

I love that half circle table and black chairs!!

21. Alex says:

Pretty big fan of their apartment – even bigger fan of their work. Great feature guys!

22. lentie says:

Those posters are awesome. Wish I had them for my flat

23. Maya says:

Cool yur jets ladies, both of these rad guys have equally rad lady friends.

24. andrewm says:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and Design Sponge for featuring our place! Very cool!

25. katherine says:

I own a flat file (for posters and art) and I also refer to it as the Behemoth!

26. Kathryn says:

I have that lil blue robot. I collect toy tin robots and my husband just surprised me with two more for Christmas. :) sweet decorations.

27. breeree says:

Love the re-use of the fireplace! Nothing nicer than a pile of tubes.

28. Gail Walker says:

super space, balanced and alive!

29. These two bro’s got style!
    I want to come chill at this sweet crib!

30. Courtney says:

Hey guys Congrats on the feature!! So cool- keep it up!

31. Carina says:

Oh, wow, this space is absolutely lovely. I am in love with everything.

32. Marne says:

I hate to sounds sexist, but it’s amazing to see 2 grown men (especially artists) living in such a nice environment. Well done, boys!

33. Ben Prentice says:

The pics look great! Any chance you are willing to sell the WILCO Fowler poster from the Austin show (the one above the fireplace)? Thanks

34. grit engelmann says: