simply color: shay ometz

Shay Ometz, senior art director at Fossil, and her husband live in a mid-century modern home filled with color, pattern and art. Their kitchen really stands out to me; the architecture and built-in furniture is quite beautiful, and their retro color palette is a perfect fit. I adore the Orla Kiely and Kaj Franck dishware, too. Baking in this kitchen would be such a joy! — Lauren

Palette
A. Twilight Chimes (Behr), PMS 539; B. Orange Ochre (Valspar), PMS 1375; C. Ocean Sigh (Valspar), PMS 298; D. Simply Aqua (Valspar), PMS 3245; E. Ever Sunshine (Pratt & Lambert), PMS 127

Roundup
1. Dotty Match Apron, $32; 2. Long-Term Shakers, $18; 3. Salad Bowl by Kaj Franck, $85; 4. Wood Ampersand, $22; 5. Cross-Hatch Stem Mug, $16; 6. Rolling Pin, $4; 7. Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery, $19

1. susan says:

love this kitchen! would be interested in knowing what the tiles are – they look fabulous.

2. Emily Wilson says:

I love this kitchen! Especially that shelf! Id love to have all of those beams running through my house! That cantilevered eating plane is so cozy in its proximity to the kitchen! I can picture my self blogging there with a cup of coffee while my hubby makes me a delicious meal ;)
    Emily
    … thepostscriptofemilywilsondesign.blogspot.com

3. Andrea says:

Such a sweet, colorful kitchen. My favorite mixing bowls of all time are mid-century vintage ones. I inherited some from my grandmother and nothing modern-day can compare to their heft and longevity.

4. What is in that bowl on the table? It looks like an exquisite collection of Easter Eggs!

Beautiful. What a glorious room.

5. not gonna lie, i feel really cool because we have the same orla kiely cannisters!

grace – it was SO wonderful to meet you at alt summit. i was the weird girl holding the chalk board sign to take a photograph with joy after your forum. you are lovely and i look forward to only leaving positive/constructive comments on your blog!

6. Cat says:

Woowwwww. Love everything about this color palette. Retro and modern at the same time.

7. Nicola says:

Any idea where they got the yellow and green bowls on the shelf? They’re lovely!

8. laurel says:

I am soooooooo inlove with this kitchen and the color pallete (not to mention the apron, mug etc)…truly gorgeous!

9. Angela Carr says:

Gorgeous kitchen – I love the high level shelf running across the entrance! So often we forget to use the height of a room – as well as length and breadth – and this solution is so thoughtful, it works perfectly with the slope and structure of the roof…

10. marri says:

YUM, cathrineholm bowls in beautiful condition! lovely find!

11. I love this kitchen too, the orla kiley canisters are awesome, that line for target was so great. And the other photos of this house require me to buy a mid century one my self when I am not longer a renter. WOW.

12. shayO says:

hi everyone!
    thanks for the kind words.
    the bowls are indeed cathrineholm. you can find them on ebay, etsy and in many vintage shops.
    the little objects in the bowl on the table are handmade origami balls. im actually addicted to making them.
    and the tiles were already in the kitchen before we moved in so i’m not sure who makes them.
    xo
    shayO

13. wow this really beautiful. Total design of this room beautiful. It’s really heart touching. every thing is in perfect place and lot’s of space for new stuff.

14. orit says:

is the kitchen counter formica? i really love the simplicity of it.

15. Jemia says:

Oh wow, can I have this kitchen please?

16. Teresa says:

Oh my… I love, love, LOVE this happy home. Just the right amount of color, whimsy and layered “history”. Definitely not just a beautiful house, but a beautiful *home*.