she & him video premiere: don’t look back

She & Him – Don’t Look Back from Merge Records on Vimeo.

One area of my life that I don’t often get to discuss here is my love of music. In college, I was a radio DJ and my first job out of school was working for an independent record label in Brooklyn. I couldn’t decide between art and music, so I chose music at first. That job didn’t work out like I hoped, so I threw myself full-force into art and design and never looked back. Six years later, I often find myself missing my music days and wanting to inject a little bit more of them here into the site. It can be hard to find the right place to do that, but when I heard from Lindsey at Merge Records, I knew her offer was the perfect fit for D*S.

So many of you have expressed your love of Zooey Deschanel’s style: her clothing, her adorably retro hair and makeup and her beloved home spread in Domino. In addition to loving her personal style, I’ve heard nothing but praise and admiration over the years for her music career as half of the group She & Him (along with musician M. Ward). So when Lindsey offered us the chance to premiere their latest, design-focused video, I jumped at the chance.

“Don’t Look Back” (off of their new album, Volume Two) is not only a wonderful song, but also a visual trip down mid-century memory lane with furniture, decor and references that I think so many of you will love and appreciate. Whether you’re in it for the classic furniture designs, the sounds or both, I hope you’ll enjoy this video debut. It’s so fantastic to get to celebrate the worlds of design and music colliding. Thanks to Lindsey, Zooey and M. Ward for sharing this video with us today. You can check out She & Him right here online. xo, grace

1. Blake Eames says:

Love for many many reasons…

2. YAY!!! Thanks for sharing, Grace. We adore She & Him! Congrats to them and the new video!

Perfect song to start the day. xo

3. Marie says:

I love your site, but I must be the only one who didn’t like this video.

4. ara says:

it’s funny!! zooey is cute! and music is MUSIC!!

5. Going to an M.Ward concert sat. night in Tahoe. CANNOT wait!!! Wooo!

6. Jeannie says:

The Deschanel sisters are so talented– fashion, acting, singing, producing, everything! I love the retro intro :)

7. Gene says:

My daughters and i will definitely danse on that! Love the choerography!

8. This is really cute. It reminds me a lot of the movie “Down With Love”. Check it out, if you haven’t and you like this mod/retro feel.

9. layne says:

I just can’t wrap my brain around ZD. I love M Ward, but she just gets on my nerves. A friend of mine worked on a music video for M Ward a few years ago, and it was never released because ZD felt it was making fun of her. I hate to say that anyone’s feelings aren’t valid, but after seeing the video I just couldn’t understand why she would think it was anything but cute. Eh. Just not for me, I guess.

10. Valerie Genzano says:

Zooey is the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen, I’ve been a loyal fangirl since the beginning. I love this whole album, especially this song.<3

11. Allan says:

nice song…reminds me of someone i love who also loves this song.

12. Piper M. says:

Man, I love how badass M. Ward looks in all their videos.