morning eye candy: dodoplan holiday decorations

The holidays may be over, but I couldn’t think of a better way to start the morning than with this sweet piece of eye candy from Dodoplan, a young design studio in Poland. They created these amazing holiday decorations using simple materials, and the final result is pure heaven. Each little decoration unit was inspired by “Pajaki” or “spiders,” a traditional Christmas ornament hung under the ceilings of homes in Poland. Dodoplan sourced all local materials (yard, tissue, straw) and created over 500 of these star-shaped modules with the help of local Polish folk artists. After they were installed in the Stary Browar Art and Business Centre and the lights were turned on, the full effect was just breathtaking. On a smaller scale, these would be fantastic to recreate for a small birthday party or even a wedding.* Thanks so much to Poznań for passing this on to me! xo, grace

*Stay tuned for a fun DIY wedding project (and book) at 11am today!

1. patti says:

so magical! i would like a high ceiling room filled with Pajaki year round.
    hmmmm maybe our foyer…

2. d*s fan says:

That is pure delight!!

3. Kristine B says:

These are pretty, I think my grandma made some for the tree when I was little.

4. That is so beautiful. I am sure it looks even more amazing in person. Thank you for sharing such a fun and festive way to celebrate the holidays (really any occasion).

5. Bitsy says:

What a beautiful sight! Kinda reminds me of the chandeliers
    at the Met, with which I am a little obsessed.

6. ohhh glorious eye candy! I’m not sure who to contact
    but….I think some of y’all from Design Sponge are going to Alt
    Summit and I would really love to meet you!

1. grace says:

Hi Vivian!

I will be there! I’m part of a panel on Thursday with joy from oh joy and Emily from once wed- and Kate from D*S will be moderating our panel! :)

See you there!
      G

7. carol says:

lovely. they look like they are illuminated. are
    they?

8. I do love all these beautiful things you showcase, but that
    phrase “eye candy” makes me cringe! Couldn’t we retire it now? I
    think it’s had its day.

9. annawithlove says:

wow, that is stunning!

10. Peaches says:

HOLY CATS that is amazing! Love it. I was thinking of making a pajaki out of bottles, but now I see this and whoa nelly!!!

I think the whole reuse/up-cycle artistry movement must be big in Poland, or Eastern Europe in general. It’s everywhere nowadays, but there is something in the water over there…so many cool projects coming out of that neck of the woods. There was a Christmas tree in a museum here in Chicago that was decorated by the Polish community and every ornament was made from traditional Polish candies and candy wrappers. Just thinking about it makes me swoon!

11. KeLLy Ann says:

oooh, a new Holiday tradition for my family to add!

12. Maya says:

Peaches, you’re right – reuse/upcycle is big in Eastern Europe, because there was a scarcity of materials for a very long time. You learned to use what you had and be creative. “Spiders” are traditionally made from humble and cheap materials – wheat stalks and tissue paper. Nice to see such talent from my native country!

13. this is really beautiful! my mother is from poland and i think we had some similar decorations when i was younger. does anyone know where the studio is located? in poznan? or, anyone have more resources about the reuse/upcycle design scene in poland/eastern europe? i’ve taken some classes that sort of generally touch on the contemporary polish art world. i love what i’ve seen and would love to learn more.

14. Aliszia says:

Oh, wow! I live in Poznań and saw it with my own eyes and it was…. more than stunning! It crashed my mind :)
    When I saw Stary Browar (which means Old Brewery) in *DS, I thougt: “What?! What Poland is doin` here?!” But I am proud of it! And thanks for showing part of our polish design, cuz I think it`s worth of it :)

Stary Browar has a lot of good projects all the time- surprising and fresh. And if you on *DS only want, I can send you some pics of it from time to time. :)

Kisses from Pole Land ;)

15. GRACE!!! You have the most incredible panel and you better believe that I will attend your session with bells on. More specifically, I’ll have a huge smile on my face and probably want to ask you 2 million questions about your creativity and brilliance. I am especially grateful to be going to Alt because I just won a ticket LAST WEEK and my husband and I are driving to SLC from DALLAS! Woohooo! Thanks so much for the reply. Look forward to meeting you!

1. grace says:

oh wow!! have a safe drive, vivien! see you in salt lake :)

grace