living in: the big lebowski

by

That The Big Lebowski is a cult classic worthy of recognition is undeniable. It’s not just because we’re Coen brothers fans or that we weirdly love The Dude’s sweater. There is an unmistakable whiff of modern California cool behind The Dude’s slacker exterior (and we also appreciate his dedication to rug cleanliness).

1. Vintage Oushak Rug, $1,195; 2. White Russian Cocktail; 3. Vintage Cowichan Sweater, $25; 4. Cassette Box, $16; 5. Cigar Sampler, $28; 6. Manchester Media Stand, $89; 7. Vintage Bowling Pin, $30; 8. ’70s Clock, $18; 9. Michael Kors Watch, $308

It’s near impossible to watch The Big Lebowski without developing a hankering to sidle up to the bar for a drink. White Russian, anyone? Nah, didn’t think so. Whatever your poison and whatever life throws at you, it’s a small comfort to know that through it all, The Dude abides.

1. Vintage Ice Bucket, $25; 2. DKNY Robe, $58; 3. Cocktail Shaker, $10; 4. Aviator Sunglasses, $24; 5. Whiskey Set, $20, 6.  Gerry Zanck Bar Cart, $900; 7. Ice Tongs, $11; 8. Vintage Bowling-Style Oxfords, $35; 9. Golf Pencils, $10; 10. Rimmel Nail Polish in Marine, $4

1. Yep. Boyfriends around the globe love this movie. And yes, you made that jumper seem kinda cool! Jx

2. Tami says:

LOVE the Dude! And how could I have missed that poster in the background all this time? Thanks for righting this wrong!

3. Tami says:

And now that I’m looking at it, that’s some pretty awesome wallpaper in the Nixon photo. Do you think that it’s the White House bowling alley ca. 1970?

4. natblue says:

An inspired choice – am I wrong??

5. Lisa says:

My eyes went straight to the Kahlua and Vodka and thought oh White Russian not a nah a ya! Like Carmine, I too was hoping to see a link for the green velvet gowns!

6. mario says:

This is probably the best movie every made.

Great job on the boards… good find on that vintage cart.

7. db says:

awesome. just AWESOME.

8. Jackie says:

Hey, his house isn’t *totally* depressing. It’s in a classic California bungalow court, has some fab Craftsman details with some Mission touches, and has a simply amazing bathroom tiled in crazy 1930s colors.

Okay, so it could use a good scrubbing and some styling…but that rug really ties the room together.

9. Libby says:

the dude’s beverage of choice is a caucasian, not a white russian, haha.

10. Ann says:

One of my all-time faves, Oh that sweater! I saw one recently at Target, belted and all.

11. Cynthia says:

This is awesome. Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

12. Morgan G says:

Jeff Bridges…so hot…even slovenly.

13. Carly says:

Such a good ‘living in’ this week! Still waiting for ‘You’ve Got Mail’.

14. kupi says:

Those funky bar stools in the second to last screen shot are from a Scandinavian Furniture Design website. Beech wood seat. Chrome metal legs. My boss used to have them in our office. That was around 2003. Don’t remember the name of the store, but I’m sure if you do a google search for it, you can find them!

15. Leigh says:

I love it! I found your website through the She & Him video link. I was already excited for the website, then I saw Big Lebowski! I love it! My hubby and I have been on a Lebowski kick (He was the Dude for Halloween and we’re going to see Jeff Bridges tomorrow on Craig Ferguson). Now I know how to decorate our new apartment- you know really tie the room together with a valued rug! ;) Great website!

16. Ramblin' says:

I like this style, Dude!

17. rugman says:

What a great “Living in” post, definitely my favorite so far.

Not to split hairs, but the rug from the movie was a vintage Persian Kashan. I have actually sold more than one mid century Kashan like it in my shop to customers looking for “The Big Lebowski” rug.

The dude abides

18. Dude.
    Too funny. My Mom would say “what a stitch” :-) well done and brings a little cheer to the winter blahhhs.

19. Sarah @ Still Life Mercantile says:

Best…Movie…Ever
    but yes, the polish should be green :)

20. unabridged says:

All this post needs is a pomeranian.

21. Lauren says:

“Calmer than you are.”

Most useful movie quote when The Husband and I are getting a little snappy with each other. Awesome “Living in” post!!!

22. handz says:

One of my most favorite movies, just great. Didnt noticed he have eames chair at home before!

23. carolineclementine says:

Fantastic. Yes. check out the PBS doc about Jeff Bridges – American Masters.

24. Marc says:

AMAZING!! Thanks for this one.

I noticed that there are no John Turturro/Jesus, Goodman, Buscemi references, or isn’t a Time Magazine mirror. Oh well, I guess we can personalise on the solid Lebowski template.

25. One of my all-time favorites!
    Amazing… inspiring…

26. Jesus says:

F~> it dude, let’s go bowlin’!

27. suzanne says:

one of my all time favs! love this one lady. xo

28. bunglero says:

Blue nail polish? Should be a vial of “Second Skin”…

29. Lady Garbett says:

“You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me.”

30. Dawn K. says:

This aggression will not stand, man.

That blue nail polish is just fail. Also, confused about the cigar in the Dude’s collection. Maybe a roach clip instead? :)

31. ShannonTaylor says:

No Creedance?

32. Danielle says:

Hahahahaha…that movie was a riot! In fact for years I have done handstands in hopes of getting pregnant again, but after five years I finally gave up and just go to bed instead :(! It’s been over 9 years now, maybe I should start again! Funny what one remembers from a movie!

33. Elizabeth says:

The sweater is actually a Pendleton. My fiance owns the very same one (stole it from his dad, actually) and wore it for years before we put two and two together… I’m willing to bet he’s worn the sweater (unwittingly) while watching the movie at some point or another… As soon as we realized, of course, it became the go-to holiday costume. Greatest movie ever…

34. Oh, man You know anytime anyone mentions the Big Lebowski there has to be a sudden quote fury. LOVE this post ever so much!

Inspired. :)