in the kitchen with: tess darrow’s dutch baby

Tess Darrow of Egg Press has shared a recipe for a Dutch baby with us this week that is the perfect base for any seasonal fruit you may have on hand. While she has done it with blackberries, I could easily see it with caramelized pears, the last of the plums or divinely prepared quinces (I like mine with ginger). It’s also quick, easy and hands off, so you can put this in the oven while you prepare the rest of the meal and in 20 minutes, you’ll have it all ready to go on the table at the same time! If you have great winter fruit compotes or preparations to share, please do! We’re always looking for new-to-us ideas! — Kristina

About Tess Darrow and Egg Press: Tess lives in chaos with her husband, two young boys, dog, Angora rabbit, chickens, yarn collection and garden in Portland and owns Egg Press. Kara lives in relative peace with her collections of beautiful furnishings and things and tools around the Northwest snapping up treasures in her prized 1988 Saab. Tess and Kara enjoy collaborating together, whether in the design studio, sewing room or kitchen. Egg Press, founded in 1999, is known for its authentic, fun and clever designs and for helping with the resurgence of interest in letterpress printing. To see their work or to learn more about Egg Press, visit

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

Dutch Babies
For each person, I usually use 1 large egg. The flour-to-milk ratio is 1/4 c. each per egg, so for 4 people, 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of flour should be enough. Leftovers aren’t the end of the world. You will also need 3 tablespoons of butter.

1. Heat the oven to 425°F. Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet when the oven has almost reached its full temperature.

2. While the butter is melting, whirl eggs for one minute in a blender. Then add milk and flour and whirl one more minute.

3. Pour mixture into the pre-heated skillet with melted butter, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown and impressive in size.

4. Serve while hot, with créme fraîche, blackberry jam and fresh blackberries. Alternatively, use your favorite seasonal fruit to make jam and to use as a freshly cut garnish.

Blackberry Jam
One large mixing bowl of blackberries (about 8 cups before mashed) is enough to make about ten 1/2-liter jars. Follow the instructions on Pomona’s Pectin box or whichever brand you use.

A longtime friend of mine, photographer and stylist Shelly Coon, photographed our morning in the kitchen. Many of the dishes shown are Heath Ceramics bought at one of our favorite Portland stores, Canoe. Also from Canoe were the best-looking canning jars I know, Weck, which are well worth the cost, especially if you are gifting your homemade preserves. The Weck jars we used are called “mold jars.”

Why Tess Chose This Recipe
I have been, appropriately (Egg Press!), keeping chickens in my backyard and am enjoying fresh eggs daily. The eggs come in a beautiful variety of colors and sizes and are such jewels that it’s sometimes hard to want to cook with them! I have also been obsessed with how Portland is just dripping with blackberries this time of year. Everywhere you go in the city, these nuisance weeds are stocked, and I literally can’t pass a patch without scouting or picking. As a result, this year I have made several batches of jam, most recently with Pomona’s Pectin, which requires very little sugar compared to traditional pectin. In the kitchen with me was fellow Egg Press teammate Kara Yanagawa (designer and great creative).

1. Dutch Baby — brings back such fond childhood memories! My dad used to make a wonderful Dutch Baby, just like the one here, for special occassions when I was a child. He did it from memory, so I’ve never been able to come close without a recipe, but I’m thrilled to try Tess’s recipe. It looks like it would be just as wonderful (if not better) than my Dad’s.

I agree, there’s nothing quite like home farmed eggs. I love the freshness and all the beautiful colors!

2. helen says:

so as far as I can tell this is essentially what we in
    britain would call a Yorkshire pudding (butter rather than beef fat
    seems a small quibble)….I’d never ever dreamed of having one with
    a sweet topping! NOM! will have to try this out soon :o)

3. betty says:

what a funny coincidence. i’ve been making these all week
    for dessert. they’re so light and yummy..the plus+ totally easy to

4. Stephanie says:

I love love love Egg Press. Have for years.

Very cool to put a name, face, and recipe to the brand. :)

5. Cara says:

My mom made these every Christmas morning and we’d eat them with little candles clipped to our plates. We’d serve ours with powdered sugar and fresh lemons squeezed on top. Or with apples sauteed in brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. I’ve continued the tradition with my own family. We always called them Dutch Babies, but I’ve also heard them called German Pancakes. I live just south of Portland, I’m going to have to try them with blackberries!! Yumm.

6. sally says:

Yum! I haven’t made a Dutch Baby in a long time. This one
    looks great!

7. Emmeline says:

When we make these we call them Panokuchen’s, and typically
    add a little bit of sugar to the mix. However, you can opt out of
    the sugar and use Nutella or powdered sugar on top for a sweet
    breakfast treat. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t looove these!

8. dee says:

I make these often. The recipe always works if the eggs and
    milk are at room temperature. You can leave the eggs out the night
    before or warm them in a bowl of hot water. I use whole milk and
    zap it in the microwave to warm it.

9. Amber says:

My friend used to make these and we called them “Lenore’s
    Pancakes” … not sure why :) Another great toping for them (and my
    personal favourite!); sprinkle with icing sugar and then squeeze
    fresh lemon juice over the whole thing. Amazing!

10. Amber says:

Sorry Cara, I just realized that you also used the lemon
    technique – is it not the best?!? :)

11. Kimberley says:

Makes me wish blackberries were in season. Good thing I’ve got some jam from the summer!

12. Kasey says:

I love a good dutch baby–it always feels like celebratory morning when I make it. I am excited to see the ladies behind Egg Press, too, as I adore their prints and cards.

13. heather says:

A classic breakfast in our kitchen. So easy and fulfilling. Would be a show-stopper for guests, and I love the idea of blackberry jam on top.

14. Iyang says:

Hooray for Egg Press! So cool to get a glimpse of who they are. Congrats on target!

15. Anne says:

My Aunt Fran used to make this every time we visited her…. it’s a breakfast favorite for sure!

16. My kind of breakfast! I love the hands off aspect of it and it’s versatility ain’t so bad either!

17. Katrie says:

I like eggs are easy to find it easy to cook many things. Especially omelet
    Eggs to make dessert. Or a variety of desserts. I liked it really very.

18. elisabeth says:

Hooray! So happy to see the fantastic ladies behind egg press on d*s. Love the photos and recipe.

I’ve got one more name to add to the list. My husband’s family calls this Sunday Surprise.

19. kalanicut says:

I love these as an alternative to pancakes, quickly whips up and you can shower while it bakes instead of standing over a pan cooking individual pancakes and then trying to keep them all warm to serve a group. These photos look delish!

20. kristina says:

So that’s what Yorkshire pudding is…!!!

21. I have always loved egg press! Some of the sweetest designs around.

I have also heard these little yummies called german or dutch pancakes- nothing like a pancake at all so I think I’ll have to try a dutch baby soon. Since we are in the midst of winter/prime nothing- in- season time of year- thinking apples and cinammon might be the way to go.
    Thanks girls!

22. traci caporicci says:

Love Tess, Egg Press and Dutch babys! Thanks for this- my step mom used to make these for a treat on summer mornings in BG. Now I can make it too. yeah

23. Cecile says:

I had never heard of a “Dutch Baby” before so the title completely confused me haha. It looks beautiful though, would definitely be ideal for bringing to housewarmings or BBQs

24. Sophia says:

I tried this recipe out recently and it turned out just lovely! Creme fraiche is very hard to come by in the Canadian prairies, so I used Balkan style plain yogurt instead.

Thanks for the recipe!

25. silicone bh says:

This article is really interesting to read.

26. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. I like this kind of blog. Thanks for sharing informative information with us