how cute are these? simeli crocheted dress guards

After last September’s bikethemed day, I started getting some of the best bike submissions. While bike-riding weather has sadly passed for me here in Brooklyn (more snow?), I’m already gearing up for that first cool ride of spring. And these amazing hand-crocheted dress guards from Simeli in the Netherlands have been on my mind. I’m one of those dorks who’s always trying to look cool on a bike (my giant blue helmet sort of negates that, though I prefer safe to cool), and I feel like these would not only look beautiful, but they’d also keep my dresses and skirts from getting caught in spokes or gears. If you’re looking for a handcrafted way to protect your frillier clothing while you bike, click here to check out and shop ($63.50 each) Simeli’s dress guards. Thanks to James for the tip!

1. Emily says:

I love these! Whoa. I really REALLY need some. How very
    clever.

2. Brittany says:

I love the first picture! XO

3. eva.lu says:

Those are soooo adorable! Although , I do wish the
    mechanism for attaching them to the fender was more
    permanent.

4. olivia says:

nice idea! i sort of wish they attached to the bike in a
    less (dare i say it) garish way – these just look like office
    clips. i do appreciate the thought though! i have awkwardly had my
    dress get caught up in the machinery many times while
    riding.

5. Molly says:

Can I have one in every color, please?? What a darling
    idea!

6. Christine says:

Ohh, I remember these. All the old ladies used to have them
    on their bikes when I was little (haha, I’m only 27).

7. Christina G says:

Have you ever seen the Copenhagen Cycle Chic website? These
    were featured a while back. When I spent last winter in CPH, I was
    amazed that everyone rides bikes, even in winter! With blizzard
    winds and everything! Check out the website. Long live the bike
    rider! http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/

8. I would want these even if they served no purpose at all!
    They are so cute! I love them!

9. Cindy says:

These would be so SO easy to make. For wayyy less than $60.
    Get on youtube and learn how to crochet. :) I’ma go make one right
    now.

10. Crystal says:

Awesome, it never ceases to amaze me what people come up
    with!

11. Jordan says:

Wow, they are so pretty! If I had a bike, I would
    definitely need one of these to go with it.

12. susan says:

my mom in law has these on her bike and they are just
    charming. really sweet!

13. chrissy says:

adorable, but are there holes for the brakes? how about a
    pattern?

14. Katie says:

Adorable! Now I just need to get myself a bike!

15. Christine says:

I didn’t realize what they were at first. But that’s a
    brilliant idea!

16. elsa says:

WOW, really cute and just lovely! want a pair!

17. Hilary says:

I love it! At first i thought it was just for decoration. I
    must get one!

18. marigold says:

yes! i absolutely LOVE crocheted stuff for my bike! this is
    adorable…i pinned it on my pinterest board with the rest of my “i
    like to ride my bicycle” pins
    great post!

19. alissa says:

Love these! Now I need a bike to go with them!

20. tera says:

How (k)ni(f)ty!

21. Annie says:

love love!! want want!!

22. Kate says:

Very cute! Wish there was some in red and white to match my bicycle!
    xx

23. Laguna Dirt says:

those are about as original as it gets! i would swerve and crash my bike rather than ride through a mud puddle if i were lucky enough to have one of those!

24. Gina says:

Oh wow! are you serious? i mean, yes, its creative, and much respect to whomever came up with the idea. But cute? No way!

1. grace says:

Gina

Yep, I’m serious. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea though ;)

Grace

25. Natalie R. says:

Such a lovely bikes! Love it (:

26. Rakhshari Maya says:

BRILLIANT…..

27. Simone says:

I feel flattered my design is mentioned on this site
    between so manny beautiful designs…. Thanks ! Simone.

28. Amanda says:

If you are ever in Seattle, check out Hub and Bespoke, they have really cute “helmet covers” that look like a brimmed hat – you can sort of see it in this photo

29. marijka says:

Re. the attachment — couldn’t this just be one piece that drapes over the fender, with openings as necessary? I don’t crochet, but that’s sure how I’d sew one, kind of like a fitted slipcover.

30. andrea says:

I love it, very creative ……………

31. sofy says:

oh that is just brilliant!!
    My skirts kept getting into the wheel last year!
    One day I might just make on or something ;)

32. XN says:

..remember these from old former GDR (german democratic republic) times. There are still some old granny bikes with hand-crocheted dress guards like these… funny, everything reverts in life :-)

33. Kathi says:

Fantastic designs people. I did the crocheted skirt guard but the only problem was rain.. If you are not at your bike to take it off! I have now made a record (vinyl records) skirtguard…

Check it out here

34. Marta says:

UAU! Where to buy?

35. Amina Onwu says:

Oh, so pretty, thanks for inspiring me, just looking for a class or a book how to work them. A lot of inspiration and some patterns for a pretty summer bike on crochet for bike friends. Happy biking, it brings a lot of fun!

Check it out here