happy 2011 + pretty prints from the uk

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year! I am still in utter disbelief that 2011 is actually here. I feel like 2010 completely whipped by and I’m still sitting here trying to remember it all. I had planned to kick off today with my New Year’s resolutions but my jet lag is getting the best of me so I’m going to share them tomorrow instead. I surprised AC with tickets to Las Vegas for a special Christmas/Birthday gift and we’ve spent the last few days at the Bellagio trying to wind our way through the crowds of crazy people playing slots at all ours of the day. My body has refused to adjust to the time change so this morning I thought I’d kick things off with something pretty and light.

These prints are from graphic designer Sarah Winter who’s based in the UK. Sarah produced four beautiful prints that incorporate famous quotations or lyrics from people like The Beatles and Dolly Parton. I’m partial to Dolly’s rainbow print, but the cheerful Beatles* print is pretty great, too. If you’re looking to pick up some new art for your home and get the new year started with a fresh look, click here to check out Sarah’s hand-pulled prints right here for $48 each. xo, grace

*During my jet lagged haze I ended up watching VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists of All Time countdown. I think the Beatles were fairly placed at #1, but did anyone else watch? I thought Elton John, Neil Young and Johnny Cash got robbed.

1. Jessica says:

LOVE these prints! The top one in particular is so sunny – would really brighten up a room! If only I had a spare $48 dollars to spend on something nice but not entirely crucial after Christmas has wiped out my bank account. Oh well! Thanks for sharing :)

2. Lisa says:

Sweet Prints. The rainbow does it for me too although I am slightly crazy when it come to the colour grey.

3. Renée says:

Happy New year to you!! And I really like the songtext prints!!

4. Laura says:

These are the cutest! Love the rainbow one. Happy new year to you :-)

5. Cary says:

I love the type in these prints, it is amazing how they work in a 2 color print. love it!

6. dominiqueb says:

lovely prints!
    johnny cash is the man (june is pretty awesome too!)

7. Elizabeth says:

Love the prints, really want one for my office.

8. Happy New Year, great prints!!

9. “All You Need Is Love” is my favorite! I´m a sucker for pink :)
    xoxo Marie

10. Eva says:

Definitely a great post/images to start the year off with. Thank you for sharing!

11. Sara says:

I really love these, but I never know what to do with Europe sized pictures. Does anyone have a source for A2, A4, etc size frames that don’t cost an arm and a leg to ship?

12. jaine says:

love these prints! they are so pretty!

13. Sally says:

Love these, The Bealtes one is a great valentines
    gift!

14. Tarryn says:

Coming from Durban – I’m about all rain’d out now, so bring
    on the rainbow

15. Lisa says:

In reply to Sara, I’d check out IKEA. They have quite a variety of frame sizes and the prices are always good.

16. Allison says:

These are lovely, but isn’t this copyright infringement? Am I wrong? Anybody know for sure?

17. puck says:

I wondered that, too, Allison… I have stenciled lyrics on
    a wall, but I was not SELLING them. I know you have to license a
    likeness. And to record a cover of a song, you have to pay ASCAP.
    (Bars pay fees to play recorded music that keeps cover bands safe).
    I would have to think there would be copyright for lyrics,
    too.

18. puck says:

As a musician, I asked a couple musician friends about copyright and linked the Etsy store. Both answers look like copyright infringement.

(1)
    They could sue her. I’m not a judge but they would probably win if they could prove that she gained benefit from their work and they would probably get a portion of that benefit (money). The question for a writer/musician is; do you really want to sue someone for using your lyrics that you put in the public domain?

Also, Dolly Parton is not the author of that “rainbow” quote. It was originally written by Ray Whitley and Fred Rose back in the 50s. She’s not even quoting the right author.

If we want to split hairs, “The Beatles” didn’t author “all you need is love.” It was Lennon/McCartney.

So somebody should probably just sue her for general getting-s***-wrongery.

(2)
    If the author(s) can prove that their “market” was infringed, then he or she would have some type of claim.

Now … proving to a judge that the profits gained from a poster are somehow making Dolly Parton lose revenue from sales or royalties of a particular song might be a stretch, but I wouldn’t put it past someone these days.

As far as it being a derivative work, well, that’s changed quite a bit in the last 10 years or so. One particular case, Acuff v. Campbell (I think), set the groundwork for rappers using samples of songs. In Acuff v. Campbell, Luther Campbell from 2 Live Crew was sued for sampling Roy Orbison’s “Pretty Woman.” At the time, I believe the court said it was a derivative work that was so different from the original work that it didn’t violate Roy Orbison’s copyright.

But that has since changed. With the advent of the Internet and ease with which people can digitally sample original works, courts are much less tolerant of sampling, drastically changing the concept of what constitutes a “derivative work.”

But it all still boils down to the same thing: if one can prove that a copyright has been violated, that a market has been infringed, then that person has a legal claim for compensation. So if this poster, this “derivative work,” is somehow taking away from a market for a song, then that person should have a copyright infringement claim.

19. Keith says:

Then it is not worthy of a claim since the supposed proponents of said claim are not into poster art marketing. or could it be ruled as such?

20. Jacquelyn says:

These are fab! Love em.

21. puck says:

100% of her benefit is being gained from the use of the lyrics. People are not buying the poster becaue of the font she used. they are being based on the author… hence I think there is basis for a lawsuit. But I doubt Paul, Ringo and Yoko really care.

22. Gareth Coxon says:

Love these, very retro and a great choice of
    lyrics.