floris wubben bench no. 3

I’m a big fan of people building furniture designs around raw natural materials. Droog’s tree trunk bench has been in my “top 10 furniture designs” list since it debuted and this new bench from Dutch designer Floris Wubben plays with the same idea.

Floris uses natural driftwood to create an undulating bench shape, over which he lays an accordion-folded sheet of white polypropylene (a plastic material). The folded loops of plastic are attached with white lacquered metal bars and completes the final look, which is a beautiful hybrid of natural and man-made. This piece makes the wheels in my brain immediately start to turn, imagining all the things you could make by slightly altering something that’s already naturally beautiful and graceful. You can check out the bench in detail here– it’s actually for sale but price-wise ($4590) it’s more of an inspiration piece for me. xo, grace

1. Brittany says:

Stunning!! Innovative design like this is always so great
    to see!

2. Karen says:

This looks precarious as a bench. Did you ever sit on
    it?

1. grace says:

Kara

I haven’t seen it in person, as I mentioned in the post I love it more as an inspiration piece. :)

Grace

3. Ann says:

Well, to be honest, comfortable? cleanable? I could spend
    hours with the dust bunnies in my house! I give it an A+ for
    edgy.

4. meemsnyc says:

Oooh, love love love it!

5. Paul jeffrey says:

beautiful piece of art. If trying to sell as furniture, for
    me it has some negative comfort perceptions that have to be
    overcome.

6. Meg says:

On one hand, it’s kinda cool. On the other, it looks like a GIANT SCARY CATERPILLAR.

7. Bryan Hughes says:

Pretty? Sure.

Usable? Comfortable? Hell no.

1. grace says:

bryan

have you tried sitting on this? i’m curious to see what it actually feels like before assuming it’s one way or another.

grace

8. Carolyn says:

the wood is beautiful. the plastic – not so much… has a nice flow though.

9. Anna says:

Wow, this is just awesome, thanks for sharing! I will have to tell my boyfriend, he also loves working with wood in natural/raw forms. Very inspiring!

10. Marija says:

Fabulous bench!! The design works perfectly with the
    organic raw form of the branch. Just perfect!

11. Beautiful provocative for sure;) This also reminded me of an amazing tree bench I saw at the MALBA in Buenos Aires. I didn’t get a good picture since there is no photography allowed but found a snapshot on flickr.

1. grace says:

katie

wow, that is AMAZING. thanks so much for sharing.

guys check out that link katie truelove posted above. it’s a phenomenal bench.

grace