diy project: bliss’s colorful log caddy

This great winter project from Bliss Alexander-Smith is perfect for the chill in the air, and right now, I want a fireplace more than anything. For you lucky fireplace owners out there, this log caddy is an easy, stylish fix for carting your logs to and fro. I’ll let Bliss explain the rest, and be sure to check out Bliss’s other great goods at her shop, Sew Bliss Sew. Thanks for sharing, Bliss! — Kate

Our first winter in our new house happened to be a very cold one, with a few more months to go. We were bringing wood in from outside in boxes, bags and by the armload, but there seemed to be a flaw with every approach. Not finding a log caddy anywhere that I liked, I decided to make one! It’s been a HUGE help for bringing wood in from outside and gathering kindling in our wooded yard. It was simple to make, a cinch to clean and even easier to store. Now I have more time to enjoy my new favorite hobby of stoking the fire. I love it! — Bliss

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• 2 straight sticks or dowels, 1″ diameter
  • 2 yards of 44″ canvas (two different patterns)
  • sewing machine
  • rotary cutter
  • iron
  • straight pins

1. Start with two panels of different patterned canvas. Two different patterns mean you can say it’s reversible! A safe ratio is double the width for the length. If you know your fireplace or wood stove can’t fit anything larger than a 20” log, then make the width 23” (to allow for a 1.5” hem on either side), so you’ll know what size logs and sticks to gather.

2. Make sure you have two sticks that are at least 20” long. Dowel rods work, too, but if you’re gathering wood, you can likely get your hands on two fairly straight sticks. About 1” in diameter is good, but make sure they’re comfortable to hold in one hand.

3. Using a small hand saw, saw off any little branches that could snag the fabric or make it difficult to slide through.

4. Sew or fuse the two panels together and rim off any irregularities with a rotary cutter. Fold over 0.5” and then another 1” to hide the raw edge.

5. Once both sides are sewn, pin a 3.5” hem along the width. Iron to mark the crease. Fold in half, length-wise and find the center. Then, with your trusty rotary cutter, cut away a space for the handles. Make sure your stick or dowel will fit once it’s hemmed.

6. I made my own bias tape out of the scraps to secure the raw edges of the handles. Mine weren’t great because the fabric was already pretty thick, so I hand-sewed them, but if you use a thinner fabric, it should be pretty easy to run through the machine.

7. Now fold over 0.5” to hide the raw edge and hem 3” or where ever the center of your handle ended up. Be sure to use a heavy needle for this hem because you’re sewing six layers of fabric here, including the 0.5” fold-under.

8. Saw the nubs and bumps of your sticks with a small hand saw and slide those suckers in!

9. Now go gather some wood for your soon-to-be relaxing fire!

1. I have no use for a log caddy living in Florida but I want to make it. So simple, cute and handy!

2. SweeterHours says:

that would be pretty sweet for magazines too!

3. Stephania says:

This would be perfect for all of my New York Times that are piled up around the apartment!

4. georgia says:

love the log bag but loving that sweater even more….hmmmm!

5. Michele says:

Love it! My husband uses the ugliest log carrier to carry wood from the basement to our fireplace. And then he leaves the dirty old thing sitting in the living room until our next fire. I’m inspired to make a pretty one now.

6. Piper says:

I’d love to see that full sweater!

7. Tanya says:

Bliss! This is too cute!

8. bliss says:

yay! thanks all! i’m pretty please with it too. and for those of you who asked about the sweater, check it:

9. Michelle says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial!! I cannot wait to make one for my dad. He just so happened to have fallen last week getting wood so this would be so perfect for him!!

10. May says:

This looks great!

11. Emily says:

Love this idea! So stylish!

12. Rinna says:

where is the fabric from???

13. Rinna says:

Was just about to comment ‘ where is that fabric from but oh! I asked that nearly 2 years ago lol! Still wondering…..

14. bliss says:

I happened to stumble across this, now very old post and saw your comment! Both fabrics are from ikea but are now discontinued. You may be able to google’m or find them on ebay or something.

15. CENA says:

Coucou Can you give me this tuto in French please ?

1. Grace Bonney says:

You can cut and paste the text here for translation: