Okay, I’m gonna level with you for a second: I’m probably one of the biggest astrology cynics I know. Not that I have any problem with other people following astrology or astrologists — it’s just not my cup of tea. But I happen to have a close friend and colleague (ahem, Amy) who cares about it deeply, so when I heard about this fun project from Erica at P.S. I Made This, I silenced my inner cynic and embraced Erica’s email as a sign (sorry, couldn’t resist) that I should share this with all of the other astrology fans out there.
After The Great Astrology Panic of 2011, I’ll admit that I was a bit saddened to think that I was no longer a Gemini but a Taurus (no offense to any Taureans out there). So this project served as a nice reminder that perhaps I’m not as cynical as I thought, since I think my sign actually fits my personality quite well. Whether you’re a fan of astrology or not, this fun DIY astrology artwork project is a great way to spend some free time or make a custom (Valentine’s Day?) gift for someone special in your life.
CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!
- zodiac chart
- card stock/poster board
- awl or other hole-punch tool
- bright string
- artist tape
2. Draw the astrological sign of your choice on the back of your card stock. Make dots at each point where you plan to punch your holes.
3. Punch holes at each of the main stars in the design using an awl (or use another tool to poke holes).
4. Thread string through the holes and connect the dots.
5. Tie knots and thread at each hole.
6. Tape down the loose ends of string on the back of the card stock.
7. Open stapler and staple in a circle to create surrounding stars. PS — Make sure you put the cardboard underneath the card stock everywhere you staple a star!
8. Mat and frame your zodiac artwork, or make into note cards, stationery and more!
PS — I thank my lucky stars that @astrologyzone, Susan Miller of Astrology Zone, completely inspired this DIY! — Erica