before & after: sharon’s boutique

Get your pencils ready, everyone. There are enough great ideas in this shop design by designer and event planner Sharon Taylor to decorate ten stores. For the creation of the Missouri-based children’s boutique Jellybeans, Sharon not only sourced most of the materials at local flea markets and on eBay, but she also worked with local artisans, art students and others to completely transform this defunct shop space into the most fantastical and beautiful interior.

From a child’s perspective, this space is clearly heavenly, but I love that it is also an environment that adults can appreciate and enjoy. I think this is due to Sharon’s smart, sophisticated color palette and her modern graphic elements, not to mention her creative manipulation of antique furniture pieces. Overall this is such a stunning space. I wish I could step inside immediately and stay for hours. Amazing work, Sharon! — Kate

Photography by Nathalie Bearden. Mural Painting by Tara Wilson and Desiree Dixon.

CLICK HERE to see the rest of Sharon’s amazing boutique after the jump!

Sharon designed the playing card and commissioned a Drury University art student to paint it.

Sharon had all of the antique furniture pieces lacquered in high-gloss paint by a local artisan.

1. what a great color pallet for a kids store, the peach and teal is awesome! I wonder what is inside that gum-ball machine ?

2. This is my first visit to Design Sponge, and I am totally blown away! I want to run out and buy up all of the spray paint in town and CREATE! I’m soooooo happy that I found you.

1. grace says:

thanks connie!

welcome to the site, hope you enjoy the before & afters :) we’re launching a re-design soon and they’ll be much easier to search by theme.

3. These are such cleaver make overs. I love the retail boutique! I love that map that simply starts on the walls and continues down to the floor.

4. Zenobie says:

Very inspiring for a baby girl nursery!

5. Eva says:

very cool! amazing sense of colour and I wanna have a playing card fake rug thing too!

6. The use of shape and color is absolutely inspirational. Whether it is to get landscape design or interior design I find a lot of new ideas from commercial designers as they often have a different and fresher approach

7. I have a set of four of those fantabulous metal chairs!! Found them on Craigslist last spring and bought for a b-day present o myslef – always called them my “Alice in Wonderland” chairs – these are the only other ones i have ever seen – i think they are from the 60s – i just LOVE mine!

8. Bouffant Blonde says:

Love this!

9. Melissa says:

I could spend hours there! Love how so many old items got an amazing new lease on life.

10. Janneke says:

This looks gorgeous!! Love the combination of white and turquoise…

11. I only can say SPECTACULAR!!, it´s a magic combination of colors and forms.

12. Elena says:

WOW! It’s such a perfect design for kids. Minimalistic yet very fun and imaginative. Great work!

13. V says:

Please tell me that’s not the Taj Mahal in Saudi Arabia, in the room with the map..

14. Karen says:

Where in the hell did you get those amazing iron chairs??

15. Lisa says: