before & after: cecile’s kitchen + tammie’s chandelier

Friends are great, especially when they are willing and able to give you a fantastic kitchen makeover. Cecile runs her own design firm, so when her friend and neighbor needed to style up her kitchen a bit, Cecile knew exactly what it needed. The hot coral wall looks great behind the vintage stove, and I love that she used a pattern from Stencil 101 Decor by Ed Roth (who has an awesome apartment, by the way) to make a citrine-colored houndstooth backsplash. The resulting kitchen is warm, friendly and fun. Great work, Cecile! — Kate

This chandelier makeover from Tammie is proof that when it comes to style, it’s all in the details. I thought I had this brass fixture pretty figured out; I’ve seen it with a simple paint job before, and I thought I knew its basic potential. Tammie’s addition of texture with the crystals and twig garland really surprised me, and I love it! The platinum color, the icy crystals, the irregularity of all the small branches and the ease of how they’re just wrapped around the piece . . . stunning. Great transformation, Tammie!

1. Kelly says:

Fantastic! I love the way the coral wall makes the black and white floor pop!

2. Roboti says:

I just can`t get enough of your before and after storries!

3. Gabbie says:

Okay, I have this exact chandelier in my dining room and I’m always thinking about painting it or hanging something sparkly from it. This might be my favorite makeover idea for it yet!!!

4. Michelle says:

It doesn’t even look like the same chandelier! That’s incredible!! And the kitchen is great – I love the wallpaper under the cabinets. Great job!!

5. Helen says:

Wow, the chandelier looks absolutely stunning in the after. Amazing transformation.

6. Emily says:

wow. that after chandelier is quite…horrific.

7. carolyn says:

i’m so loving that hounds tooth wallpaper! fantastic.

8. annawithlove says:

wow so pretty!!! love it

9. Melissa says:

Love the color of the chandelier!! What brand and color is it?

10. Hip hip hooray, THIS is the inspiration for my plain kitchen with old white cabinets that I’ve been looking for. Now this I can achieve without spending lots of cash. And I already have the orange paint. Thanks a bunch, lovelies!

11. orangesugar says:

Where did you find the little crystal thingies?

12. Sarah Jane says:

LOVE the kitchen! Is the backsplash just painted on (stenciled) or is it wallpaper? Always looking for creative ideas in that area.

13. Megan Leone says:

That chandelier is brilliant! I don’t know why that fixture is in almost every old house. Nice work!

14. Julie says:

SO GLAD the chandelier was posted! I’m moving into a house that has that exact one and I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out a way I was going to transform it. This is a perfect idea!

15. Green houndstooth – and I’m sold!

16. kellie says:

I love the houndstooth, so cute!

17. I really love you before and afters, you have to take a look at Sandra’s blog goedinstijl.blogspot.com she has great ones too!

18. My mum has a chandelier like that and at Christmastime she runs a garland in between the ligths and hangs a few ornaments from the bottom.

19. Ban Clothing says:

The backsplash if phenomenal. So creative. Not crazy about the coral though…

20. Megan Clouse says:

Chandelier: A much better gold!

21. Cecile says:

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. The backsplash is a stencil from Ed Roth’s “Stencil 101 Decor” kit. I found it a my local art store. It wasn’t super easy to do because of the height of the top cabinets. I had to bend over the counter top at a weird angle.But, I just did a little at time and the end result added a lot to the space.

22. Angela says:

LOVE that chandelier! Can we find out what paint Tammie used? I’m hoping to get a similar look for a brass chandelier I have in my townhouse.

23. Tasha says:

WOW on the after chandelier! Definitely something I could see hanging in my house.

24. Andrea B. says:

Now I kinda wish I hadn’t thrown out my brass chandelier. *sigh*

Oh well. I can admire it here.

25. I am blown away by that chandelier! Who doesn’t have one of those lying around?…and who knew it could turn it that? Wow!

26. PixelHazard says:

such perfect changes!

27. I love that the chandelier looks completely different w/o having to completely overhaul the hardware! Stunning yet doable…that’s what I’m about!

28. karen berg says:

Wow, what a fantastic makeover. I am over the top impressed with the Brass Chandelier makeover. There is no end to the imagination and creativity of Design Sponge Followers. Thank you as always for sharing. Truly makes my day.

29. olivia says:

this is a great before & after –– realistic, practical, not an entire remodeling project and of course… it’s stunning! how refreshing!

30. olivia says:

31. Lisa says:

Wow, I am impressed with both of these transformations! The chandelier looks very luxe with those simple additions.

Also, kudos on the kitchen remodel. I am always excited when I see a remodel that isn’t a complete gut!

32. AngelaM says:

Gorgeous kitchen! Curious… Did you just paint cabinets? How? What kind of paint did you use?

33. Cecile says:

Hi Angela, The cabinets were just painted in Benjamin Moore, satin finish, interior paint. Thanks.

34. re: the cabinets. What is the Benjamin Moore color that you used? Love the gray with the green and orange. Can’t wait to spruce up our nest too!

35. Tammie says:

Thank you for all the wonderful comments!
    This was such a fun project! The twig crystal garland I got at a yard sale for $1.50.
    Spray paint: ‘Caramel latte’ by Krylon.
    Crystals: $3.00 for a pack of 40 at Michaels in the wedding section.

Thanks
    xo

36. Laura Faye says:

How funny, I just bought this exact chandelier on craigslist this week! Mine will probably end up painted turquoise, but I love this after so much!

37. Cecile says:

Hi Ashlea,
    The paint is 1467 Baltic Gray in Satin finish.
    Good luck on your project.

38. What I could not see in the after picture if you changed the flooring or not.. If so I would appreciate a picture very much showing the floor as well. Thanks, and great job!

39. Kate says:

I know I’m late, by I’m dying to know the exact color that coral paint is!