before & after: cat’s kitchen + jodi’s mudroom

I’m a huge fan of ceramic tiles in any context, and I’m counting the days until I have a place where I can install some. When Cat sent over her gorgeous kitchen remake, I was so thrilled to see such a bold use of tile. The deep ocean color of the tile is a perfect contrast to the black, white and copper. Apparently this is just the start of things, as Cat is planning to renovate the whole apartment. If Cat’s design sensibilities in this lovely kitchen are a preview of what’s to come, I’m sure the whole place will be absolutely stunning in no time. Great work, Cat! — Kate

CLICK HERE for more of Cat’s kitchen and Jodi’s mud room after the jump!

I’ve always wanted a mudroom or at the very least, a decent entryway of some kind. I’ve also recently decided to stop wearing shoes in the house, and this decision, while good for the rugs, has only made the need for a mudroom more acute. I’m greatly inspired by this makeover from Jodi, who turned part of her garage into an airy, organized and stylish landing place for her family’s gear. I especially love the little details, like the vintage elements and the accessory bins labeled with photographs. You can see more images of the finished room here on Jodi’s site. Nice job, Jodi!

1. Alexandra says:

Love both of these transformations! So drastic! xo

2. Julie says:

Wow! Absolutely amazing!

3. Beautiful stuff here. I’m definitely stealing the photo display idea!

4. What perfect timing! I’m writing something up about mudrooms for tomorrow! Great b&a’s!

5. sandy says:

I love the before and afters, but what I notice with many room makeovers is that the photos from before and after are taken at different angles, which makes it difficult to see if walls were removed, etc. As in these photos, there was a window in the before photo but now is that where the island is?

All that being said, I love the color she chose for the tile. Very striking!

6. Bernie says:

Love, love, love the tile. What kind/brand is it??? We remodeled our Florida kitchen 7 years ago…..but still no back splash!

7. Lo says:

Love the kitchen! You did such a great job!

8. We just redid our kitchen, full overhaul from floor to ceiling, but every time I see a before and after here I fall in love with it and want another redo…

9. I would’ve never thought of that color but gosh! that blue-ish tile totally makes it rock!

10. Kim says:

great idea for kids pics…now I have a use for my pottery barn clips – yay!

11. Kristan says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I COVET that kitchen.

12. Lisa says:

Love love love it. That copper coloured light is one of my favourites but I’m still trying to convince the hubs on it. Maybe this gorgeous make over will help.

Loving those blue tiles too, such a great way to bring lots of colour without using lots of colour.

13. Beautiful! Those backsplash tile are fantastic!!

14. Missy says:

Wow is that even the same kitchen? It looks so much bigger!
    Great job!

15. dg says:

why are these before and afters never photographed on the
    same angle?

1. grace says:

Most people don’t document their makeovers with this column in mind. We do our best to get as many pictures as possible but sometimes we have to work with the images people are able to share.

16. Anne Bryant says:

Wow, amazing transformation Jodi! It’s so organized and
    welcoming. And I love that Cat made such a transformation but still
    kept a lot of what she already had. The blue is gorgeous.
    Inspiring, thank you both!

17. Eva says:

Is that a stainless sheet behind the stove? Love the

18. BREATHTAKING! I love them both so much. I dreaaaam of
    remodeling our kitchen. It’s such a mess. When I do, I’m bringing
    these pictures to the table!

19. Eva says:

I really like those blue tiles!

20. Mariela says:

Beautiful kitchen, love the blue tiles, very nice.

21. Kellen says:

That tile is just killer. Absolutely love it… and the contrast w/ the stainless steel and copper pendant fixture. Wow. Great kitchen!

22. lieludalis says:

Awesome tile! I’ve been wanting mother-of-pearl- like tile backslash for my kitchen for a while. That backsplash just makes a huge statement! Bravo!!
    And major kudos on the mudroom…we’re just about done with ours. I can FEEL the difference when I walk in the room now! Amazing job, looks beautiful!

23. lauren says:

i love the tiles, but i also LOVE the cabinetry. any guesses as to where it was purchased?

24. terri planty says:

what a cute kitchen!

25. love the transformation! hats off to you…
    can i know where do you get those backsplash tiles? (brand & website) if possible. cheers ;-)

26. Cat says:

Hi everyone, Cat here!

Thanks for all the fab comments, I’m from the UK, so the suppliers are UK companies.

The kitchen is from Accent Kitchens UK, with the addition of a quartz worktop from Silestone and the glass cabinets are from Hafele.

The tiles are from Fired Earth, from their ‘basics’ range.

The copper lamp is from B&Q!

We did remove the wall with the window in it, to open the kitchen up into an extension that was previously a second lounge, so it is much bigger.

And I agree, you don’t think of the angles when you are taking before and after photos really.

Thanks everyone!
    Cat x

27. Greenhouse says:

A complete transformation, certainly some inspiration for others…!

It just goes to show what can be done, with a tired looking space.

Lucky owners!

28. lisen says:

Love it, the tiles look amazing with the simple cabinets. Can I move in? I promise to bring another red Spice boy.
    And what is the red and white thing next to the kettle? ‘Cause whatever it is, I want it.

29. ML says:

I would love more info about the cabinets!

30. nezart says:

hi. love both of these. was wondering if you would be
    willing to share the make of the cabinets. i am a week away from
    beginning my kitchen makeover and looking at cabinets now. these
    are exactly what i had in mind. :)

31. nezart says:

hi. sorry. just now was able to see ALL comments and
    noticed cat had indeed replied re; her resources. i have seen
    similar cabinets from ikea/ “akurum” model. wondering if anyone has
    any feedback on them…?

32. hena tayeb says:

oh wow.. the kitchen looks so great..the blue tiles and
    crisp white cabinets gives it a great clean look

33. ML says:

same here. i was not able to see cat’s comments when i posted. sorry and thanks, cat!

34. Nell says:

Those blue tiles are gorgeous. I love this kitchen makeover!

35. Cat says:

Lisen – that red and white thing by the kettle is ‘sweet talker’ designed by Camilla Prada, it was bought from Thorsten van Elton. She is a little sugar shaker, the sugar comes out of her mouth, perfect when making coffee. I’m not sure you can buy her anymore though.

36. CrowNology says:

LOVE the copper light fixture.

37. Renee says:

The photo hangings are such a cute idea. I also love your retro small kitchen appliances.

38. Reana says:

Just love Design Sponge. Wish you had a Link in the email
    so that I could facebook to all my pals instead of email.

39. monika says:

FABULOUS! I’m a chef and this would be a delight to step
    into. Great choice and mix of finishes and colors. Refreshing,
    calming (the white) yet stimulating (the revved-up blue tile)…
    this kitchen is a confluence of great choice and great design. Good

40. Jodi says:

Hi everyone,

This is Jodi, creator of mudroom, thanks for all the compliments! We love our mudroom, it has made a whirl of difference in our life. As far as before pictures…I have one on my blog that’s the same angle, looking toward the window. I will have to dig up more and take a step back to show you just how it’s laid out!

Thanks to Design Sponge for featuring our project! We were so honored to be a part of your blog!

41. viola says:

It’s amazing how interiors date in a decade. I’m living in a place that looked good ten years ago, but now it’s screaming to be freshened up. That’s basically what a home should be, FRESH. I’m glad you didn’t mess with most of this kitchen, but the tiles added some pizazz.

42. parker says:

Vey nice photos.Very informative.I wish 2% of eople on net can write like you.

43. All the pics are amazing.I personally loved the second one from the top.

44. vanita singh says:

Please write some more posts on mudroom. I need some information on mudroom laundry layouts.