sneak peek: kate rivinus & adam blackman

by

Designer Kate Rivinus and shop owner Adam Blackman have spent over a decade restoring their 1950s modern post-and-beam-style home in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles. Kate says her style runs the gamut of modern to classical and is inspired by dramatic scale, smart writing, color, texture and the patina that comes with age. You can check out more from Kate’s lifestyle and family paper products company Egg2Cake, and you can visit Adam’s antique and design “cabinet of curiosities-esque” emporium, Blackman Cruz, in LA. Thanks, Kate and Adam! — Anne

Image above: The bed was designed by Rick Cortez and is made of walnut and brass. We wanted a Japanese style built high enough to take advantage of the bedroom’s view of the Getty Museum, which lights up at night.

Image above: The kitchen materials are stainless steel and plywood. We recycled the original kitchen handles. A collection of Chinese water carriers hangs over the sink. Beyond the kitchen is the office, featuring an aluminum base violin and a Gio Ponti coffee table.

Image above: The sofas in our living room are by Billy Haines. The classic “Papa Bear” chair by Hans Wegner has its original leather upholstery. The tables and lamp are by Pepe Mendoza, c. 1958.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Kate & Adam’s house tour (and all 11 images on one page) after the jump!

Image above: The sunken living room features a louvred wall original to the house and a cinder block fireplace. The orange leather swivel chairs are custom Paul Frankl. The rug is 1970s Pierre Cardin and the tapestry over the fireplace is from a Playboy Club, c. 1960. You can see the iconic rabbit logo in the lower right. The lion is a mid-century amusement park automaton and the tiger is a German “nodder,” c. 1900.

Image above: A large fiberglass and wood architectural panel acts as a sliding room divider between the kitchen and office. It rolls in place behind a 1920s stacking chest found at a flea market. The lamp is by the Mexican artist Pepe Mendoza, c. 1958. In the foreground is a leather and chrome Seagull Chair made by Fritz Hansen in 1968. The wood louvres are from a 1950s dental office.

Image above: This view looks up toward the dining room from the living room and shows the crest of the roof line, which defines the post-and-beam architectural style. The cork console table in the foreground is by Paul Frankl.

Image above: A closeup of a curiosity cabinet in the office.

Image above: The entry hall features a 19th-century Venetian mirror against an original redwood-paneled wall. The chair is a Japanese root chair from the early 19th century.

Image above: A view of the living room through the louvred wall.

Image above: A view from the courtyard entry toward the office with its Fritz Hansen Seagull Chair through a sliding glass wall.

1. Sara(Mrs.B.) says:

AMAZING!! This is the opposite of my house (new victorian ) and yet I adore it. Great job!

2. Tanya says:

What a gorgeous home! I am thoroughly jealous.

3. Danielle says:

Beautiful!

I love the stacking chest. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

4. Heather says:

Zowee!!! I would die for all that natural light! Definetely makes it easier to get away with all the dark colors! Though the syle is a little too modern for my taste it’s a beauty just the same.. thanks for sharing!

5. Erin says:

Was this the home that Tom Ford used in “A Single Man”? If not, it’s a dead ringer!

6. Dre says:

Wow. My dream home. Amazing.

7. Wow. I really love the mid-century wibe and the strong with nature throught the windows.

8. Jenni says:

Danielle,

Anthropolgie has a stacking dresser called the Brigitta Dresser. It’s a bit pricey but still lovely.

9. julie says:

Erin,

you took the words out of my mouth, this is so much like the glass house in a single man! beautiful, just BEAUTIFUL.

10. Meghan says:

Wow!! This is incredible. Pure perfection. I gasped when I saw that Venetian mirror against the paneling—love it!

11. LOVE that kitchen, and I so covet the Poppa Bear chair. Gorgeous!

12. arroyo says:

@Erin: The house you’re referring to is the Schaffer House, designed by John Lautner.

The Schaffer House is located in Glendale (other side of LA). It is about 1700 square feet; I’m sure this house is much larger. Brentwood (clears throat).

Blackman Cruz is my dream source. Love seeing this house. It really is perfect.

13. Stephanie says:

I have house envy…:( gorgeous.

14. love the mix of concrete and wood, the rough textures with the warm, smooth ones, and all the natural light. it’s such a handsome home!

15. a says:

beautiful home!

oh how i covet the papa bear chair…i have two original papa bear chair ottomans -but no chair!

16. Elena says:

This looks very familiar….Is it the house where “A single man” was filmed? Can you confirm?

17. Laurie says:

What a stunning home with so much character to every piece! It’s such gorgeous proof that it’s worthwhile having the patience to collect meaningful things for your space.

18. Matt says:

I LOVE that “papa bear” chair! What a find! I might faint if I ever was to see one tossed to the side at a flee market or garage sale. I’ll take 4 please!!! :)

19. Superfoofy says:

I love mid-century homes, but this house looks a bit like a jail with the cinder blocks and cracked cement floors. The original design likely had wall to wall carpet. If this were my place, I’d think about putting a warmer colored cement finish on that floor. One problem with these homes that looks like it’s happening here — some of the beams and the wood at ground level looks like it’s getting water damage/dry rot. Sorry, I know we are just looking at design but it’s hard not to see that they might want to spend a little less on furniture and a little more on maintenance.

20. toby says:

i would never leave my house….ever.
    stunning, magnificent.

21. claire says:

Love the ceilings. Reminds me of my parents’ post and beam house in LA. Feels like home.

22. Laura says:

Those orange leather chairs and the Japanese root chair are AMAZING. Love the whole house.

23. kate says:

freakin awesome! what wonderful treasures to live with and in.

24. Kate says:

Thanks everyone (!), for the very cool feedback. We’ve worked so long on our house that it is great to hear we’re doing okay. We also want to credit the UK photographer Richard Powers who took such great images.

25. Bren says:

pure drool worthy work right here. and the white cello—a couple after my own heart. this was magic.

26. Veena says:

Wow, what an amazing house. The interiors remind me a lot of the house featured in the move A Single Man.

27. Nick Heywood says:

Sooo past the point, but whatever, moved to speak in response to the mean-spirited comment from Superfoofy — I can’t imagine where you’re seeing lack of maintenance in this house, unless you mean the areas of paneling of the foyer at floor level, where decades of wear have caused a change in color. As already established by the owners, they relish “the patina that comes with age,” and this clearly falls under that category. As to the judgment on where they should be spending their resources, consider that they own one of the best curated (and I don’t use the term lightly) decorative arts stores in the country, which is apparent in the sterling selection of furnishings in their own home. Beyond being handsome and compelling, those furnishing are certainly worth a mint, and may well surpass the value of the real estate over time. I don’t think you get it. Superfoofy indeed.

But getting back to your original point, I’ve looked over these pictures 3 times and cannot see anything looking worse than the usual and inconsequential wear of a house over time.

28. Hare Cheung says:

So beautiful !

29. julie says:

i want.

30. Kim Johnson says:

Love the organic feel throughout the house with natural colors and modern furniture. It makes me smile. :)

31. Elaine says:

Hi, I love looking at d*s sneak peeks. This house is pure dreamy. I thoroughly enjoy all the classic and modern elements. Very ying/yang -beautifully designed home!

32. Serge says:

Beautiful! Could you tell me where the lamps above the bed are from? Thanks!

33. Mike vR says:

Wow!Kate, you have a very nice place. Great look and feel. I’ve always wondered what you have been doing out in LA. Best wishes from StL.