sneak peek: josh vogel of blackcreek mercantile

When I saw the amazing sculptural wood-turned objects that Josh Vogel creates for Blackcreek Mercantile, I knew I wanted to see the inside of his home. I wasn’t disappointed — get a look at those floors!!! Josh and his girlfriend, Kelly Zaneto, live in what was originally a small, two-room stone cottage in the Hudson Valley. Like many older homes, this stone house had been subject to numerous renovations. Since purchasing it about five years ago, the couple has worked to restore some sense of authenticity. Josh says that this is part of a “constant conversation [he] has with the house.” Josh listens to the house as he listens to the wood he works with, constantly encouraging its soul and story to come out. (I love that sentiment!) Thanks, Josh! And a big thanks to Jeff Goldman (interior photos) & Vivian Lanzarone (exterior photos & photo of settee) — Amy A.

More than a specific decorating “style,” our house reflects the attitude of our lives. My girlfriend and I live in the forest of the mid-Hudson Valley. In the summertime we love to keep the doors and windows open, we cut flowers and herbs from our garden and take showers outside. In the winter, we keep the fires burning and a kettle on the stove. Nothing we own is so precious that it can’t get dinged or scratched; in fact there is a softness and warmth we enjoy that can only be created through use and a simple beauty that is inherent in basic functionality. Our home is a work in progress and as we grow into it, we seek to simplify, support and create balance.

Image above: Perhaps a bit unorthodox — when we renovated, we put a door in our bathroom that opens onto the back deck. Our backyard is very private and expansive, and in the warm months, we enjoy using the outdoor shower because it is invigorating & keeps us connected to our larger, natural environment.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Josh’s sneak peek after the jump!

Image above: We love to play with textures and materials. These design fundamentals are often more interesting to me than what color, or if we decide to paint something. Chestnut . . . raw-hemlock floor, rough-plastered walls, a lace tablecloth and some freshly cut flowers.

Image above: Between simple property maintenance around the house and having a woodworking business, there is never a shortage of wood for us to burn in the stove. A current project we are working on for the house is hand-making our own tiles for the floor to ceiling backing of the wood stove.

Image above: The stone walls of the house were solidly mortared together with the same famous “Rosendale cement” used in the Empire State Building. Our fences and gates, which I put together, are all constructed from white oak saplings cleared right off the property.

Image above: Living in the forest is important for my business, Blackcreek Mercantile & Trading Co. All of the materials I use come from local resources. A lot of the work I do is so exacting and meticulous that I find these types of sculptural “sketches” liberating and a great way to exercise excess creative energy.

1. Daphne Collins says:

I could swoon. Love that pantry. Love the bedroom. Love that the house is obviously in progress yet so peaceful and lovely. I missed that phase in my home renovation.

2. Jürgen says:

The color palette and variety of textures are extraordinarily rich.
    Thank you for these wonderful photos.

3. I love it! So many fabulous little details. Thanks for the great sneak peek. :)

4. jen says:

5. Dana says:

oh. ohjeez. this is just so amazing and soothing and great – where I can see myself finding balance. the door to the deck/outdoor shower from the bathroom is a total highlight.

6. John says:

Not one but two rifles hanging on the wall..can someone explain me the beauty or poetry of weapon which shoot bursting bullet into flesh?I am really astonished someone might find cute hanging a gun

1. grace says:

it’s not for everyone, but there is artistry in building any object, including rifles. not everyone sees them as something that “bursts bullets into flesh”. in the same way that some people collect knives and never use them, there are people that collect guns for the same reason. the metalwork and woodwork can be very beautiful when you look closely and will remind you that these pieces were often made by hand, by very skilled artisans. that said, i understand that the purpose of the object itself may be too much to overcome. but speaking as someone who knows people who collects guns for display, i can assure you not everyone uses them for that purpose and many people really value the skill that goes into building them as objects.

7. Tracey says:

Such a gorgeous setting, and I LOVE stone houses. That bathroom is so lovely and peaceful. You have done a wonderful job. I am jealous of the outdoor shower.

8. Lauren says:

First, thanks for showing us your home – simply beautiful!
    Secondly, what is that black box on the table in the 1st and 6th photos? It looks like an antique, but I wonder what it’s original purpose was.

9. the black box is an antique moisture meter (for wood). & it still works :-)

10. VintageSmith says:

That wooden sculpture is beautiful. I’m always amazed when someone makes something so simple become something so wonderful.

11. Lauren says:

@blackcreek – Thanks!

12. starr says:

I agree, this place is simple and classy
    Thank you for sharing.

13. Sara Kate says:

I just adore the color of the headboard.

14. lulu says:

Beautiful simplicity. Great choice of textures and
    materials. Super calming, thanks for sharing.

15. wow, josh! i came to the closing party for your one mile
    gallery show. your hudson pad is a textural dream. great photos,

16. Tricia Rose says:

so personal – and absolutely beautiful

17. Niknak! says:

Your home looks so warm and lovingly created!