sewing 101: cookie cutter ornaments

Few things spark nostalgia like favorite family recipes, and Christmas cookies have got to be one of the most nostalgic family treats of all. I designed these tree ornaments to commemorate some of my favorite cookie cutters. These were made by tracing the cutters themselves then adorning them with embroidery “icing.” They’re a great way to craft a non-perishable version of your favorite holiday goodies! Still looking for last-minute gifts? Make these for your siblings using your mom’s cookie shapes. They’re also adorable as gift toppers or just as an addition to your own tree. — Brett Bara

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• felt (I love wool felt, but craft felt works fine, too.)
  • cookie cutters
  • embroidery floss
  • sewing thread
  • hand-sewing and embroidery needles
  • fiberfill
  • scissors
  • decorative cord

1. Trace the cookie shapes.

Using a cookie cutter and pen or thin marker, trace two cookie shapes onto the felt and cut them out.

2. Add the embroidery.

Working with three strands of embroidery floss and using simple, straight stitches, add the details you would normally make with icing. You can stitch the same design on the front and back, stitch the year on the back or just leave it blank.

3. Join the front and back.

Put the front and back together with the wrong sides facing each other, and join them around the perimeter using a whipstitch and one strand of sewing thread. Leave an opening of about 2″ in the stitching and lightly stuff the ornament with fiberfill, and then stitch the opening closed.

4. Add the hanging loop.

Thread a short length of decorative cord under the stitching at the top edge of the ornament, and tie it in a knot to make a loop.

And that’s all there is to it! Have fun playing around with different cookie shapes to make a whole batch of yummy treats. Happy holidays!

1. laurel says:

Those are waaaay too cute! I might have to make some of those next year!

2. Amanda says:

You just gave my a project for today! These are just adorable.

3. Jessica says:

These look great! I especially like the gingerbread man one. I’m a big fan of christmas cookies too – although generally the spiced kind rather than the felt kind – actually made some yesterday!

4. These are very pretty, they are similar to the felt
    ornaments I made with my craft club. Here are some downloadable

5. Anjela says:

Adorable!!! Such a cute idea!

6. hilary says:

I’m doing this today! Such perfect package toppers.

Thank you!

7. Rachel M. says:

Aw! I tend to make Christmas ornaments every year for gifts. You just gave me another idea!

Thank you for sharing. I love that snowflake!

8. Amy says:

Would love to make these with my son. Any chance the cookie shapes can be available as a template to download?

9. Oh I love felt projects – they’re always so fun and
    definitely cozy for the holidays! We actually just shared a felt
    & yarn wreath diy over at our blog – check it out!

10. So cute- my sewing skills are not up to par but I think I
    could even do this!!

11. annawithlove says:

this is so great for kids! my sewing skills are terrible though.

12. Aimee says:

love these! understated and simple.

13. nattida says:

14. erin m. says:

Love this idea! It is so simple, yet SO cute!

15. who knew cookie cutters could be multi-functional?! so awesome!

16. Alexandra says:

So cute! I want to do this next year!

17. ecig says:

I have been reading your blog for a while now and it’s one of my favorites.
    Thank You and Merry Christmas to you.

18. Patr says:

What a great christmas decoration.
    It is already christmas so I will save this project for next year

have a nice christmas

19. Sandy says:

Super cute and simple. Love it.

20. LamLinh says:

Your blog is so wonderful. Lot of brilliant ideas and useful advices. Thanks.

21. Tallulah says:

I’m a new girl on the block and your site is truly inspirational.

22. mae says:

so cute. I like it!

23. eva says:

they are all so cute! i love the colors and the cut and

24. Aileent says:

I am new to the blogging experience and I think your site
    is full of inspiring ideas. Thankyou

25. To cute, I will have to try it

26. donna says:

these r really cute, I would do the embroidery b4 I would cut them out.

27. Doris says:

Super lindo!!!!
    Besos desde Lima-Peru

28. fab idea fpr my christmas tree and i just happen to buy a set of christmas cookie cutters from dollar tree and felt , so it will be a awesome accent to my tree this year and little gift tags , thanks for sharing this , very cool