living in: metropolitan

by

Would it be sacrilege against all of the classics to call Metropolitan my favorite holiday movie? The holidays function as nothing more than a glittery backdrop in this film, so maybe we can call it my favorite non-holiday holiday movie. Metropolitan is a 1990s Gossip Girl for the intellectual crowd. It follows a group of privileged upper-East Siders as they navigate debutant balls, existential philosophy of the bourgeoisie and a mean game of strip poker.

1. Anibel Candle Sconce, $224; 2. Seiko Dress Watch, $138; 3. Antique Gold and White Teapot, $175; 4. Kate Spade Bow Ring, $75; 5. Wayne Cooper Ruffle Party Dress, $549; 6. J. Crew Glitterati Clutch, $59; 7. Vintage Chanel Pearl Earrings, $836; 8. Sure Shine Heels, $49; 9. French Theater Tufted Chair, $399; 10. Holiday Wreath, $128

While uptown snobbery is best kept to a minimum during daylight hours, a little dash of blue-blood chic never hurt a holiday soiree. Metropolitan is like The Preppy Handbook come to life at Christmas — hilarious, witty and at times, painfully privileged. Jane Austen-reading girls in poofy dresses with pearls, and boys in sharp tuxes waltz into the wee hours of the Manhattan night, and gosh, just once I’d like to raise a glass in such company. — Amy M.

1. Rosehip Garland, $42; 2. Vintage English Top Hat, $150; 3. Ribbon Buckle Belt, $48; 4. Topshop Tux Jacket, $135; 5. Stainless-Steel Server Set, $32; 6. Champagne Bucket, $29; 7. Vintage Silver Dome, $42; 8. Mansfield Park, $8; 9. Pearl Glam Necklace, $39; 10. Moet & Chandon Champagne, $34

1. Stephanie says:

This is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. Whit Stillman is a genius and I am so happy to see one of his films featured. If you haven’t seen his others (particularly Last Days of Disco), you should definitely watch them. In fact, he has a new one coming out soon: Damsels in Distress. I can’t wait!

2. Nicole says:

I LOVE this film! Chris Eigeman is simply amazing (see Noah Baumbach’s Kicking and Screaming for further proof)

3. Niki says:

I have never seen the movie, but after seeing this, I am very interested!

4. Danielle says:

I’d never really thought of this as a holiday movie, but now that you mention it, it really is.

I love the Kate Spade bow ring.

5. stephanie says:

how funny, i literally JUST rented this movie from the library… have never seen it, but figured a criterion collection movie must be worth watching!

6. kaytet says:

i agree! this is one of my favorite movies ever!
    so glad it got a feature!

7. I love the pearls necklace!!!

8. Tiffany S. says:

I LOVE this movie! Whatever happened to Chris Eigeman? He’s a genius! Thanks for the reminder!

9. I’ll take the dress, shoes, and Chanel earrings. I love vintage-y (aka 70s, 80s, early 90s prep).

xo, Anna of green gable

10. Laura L says:

I adore this movie. Witty, painful and oh so privileged.

11. verhext says:

Oh!! I’d forgotten this movie – totally going to put it on my Xmas watch list.

12. susie says:

Tom. Audrey. Cha cha cha!

13. Yay! So so happy you guys are fans. It really is the smartest little movie. If you haven’t seen it, please do and start referring to things as “tiresome” in my honor.

14. That Wayne Cooper dress is gorgeous!

15. saf affect says:

Love this movie too! And Barcelona. And Last Days of Disco. All brilliant. Great decor too.

16. Jessica says:

Thank you for writing a post about this movie. I never realized it was the same person behind Last Days of Disco, totally makes sense. This movie is chic, smart and a little dark. Inspiring!

17. Naomi says:

What a gem of a movie!

18. Donald says:

My cousin played Charlie Black in the movie, which is only one of many reasons I love this (these) films.

19. Kate says:

Oh my goodness, I just rewatched this the other day to troll for holiday design ideas. Thank you for reading my mind!!

20. Chrissy says:

I remember watching this in my high school-era bedroom and feeling just rife with envy.

21. RT says:

AAAH! This is one of my favourite movies ever! Which makes this my favourite “Living In.” Thanks for making my day.

22. db says:

such great taste in movies!

23. Alison says:

I always watch this movie around Christmas. Hope this post turns more people on to Whit Stillman.

24. I really LOVE Last Days of Disco. And I especially love how you included a Seiko watch. So late 80s/90s!

25. Sandy says:

I love this series!

26. jennu says:

Oh! My favourite movie ever. His trilogy is superb – Last Days of Disco and Barcelona, plus Metropolitan.
    Thrilled to hear he’s got a new movie coming out.
    Thanks DS for featuring this one.

27. Anne N. says:

Love the Sally Fowler Rat Pack!

28. “But it has a lining!” somehow that’s my favorite quote from the movie, or something like it. Love it.

29. This movie has great memories for me. I was living in the Hamptons and saw it alone in the East Hampton theatre. That movie is woven into my psyche.

30. Janelle Zara says:

Ah i have that topshop tux jacket. it’s wonderful. Amy, have you ever thought of doing one for An Education? that would be lovely!

31. Jane says:

Wow! I haven’t heard that movie mentioned in years. It wasn’t a box office hit but I remember a friend of mind recomending it.

32. Ricardo Martinez says:

I love what you do, moreso now that you feature one of my favorite films. Whit Stillman is like a modern day Jane Austen, but male. He is a genius!

33. Brigitte says:

You have no idea how happy this made me! This is my absolutely favorite movie of all time :3 hurray!

34. Rachelle says:

This is my all-time favorite movie that no one’s ever heard
    of! Thank you for posting this. :)

35. dd says:

Huh, I’m surprised everyone likes this movie. We rented it and found it almost unwatchable. The dialogue is really repetitive and navel-gazing, but not at all entertaining or “ha ha, look at them” funny. Not sure why we had such a different reaction than all of you.

36. Abby says:

My husband would agree with you, and no it’s definitely not sacrilege. It’s a movie that we watch every Christmas.