happy holidays + happy new year from d*s!

I can’t believe 2010 is almost over! This year has been more amazing than I ever could have hoped — full of fun adventures, hard but rewarding work, new friends and team members and more inspiration than I can possibly put into words. And at the core of it all is you: the amazing readers and friends that join us every morning to share ideas and talk. Without you all, we would be all laptops and no real fun. From the bottom of my heart, and everyone’s hearts at Design*Sponge, thank you so much for your support. We have so many fun new surprises right around the corner (new columns, a site redesign, The D*S Book and an international book tour!), and I can’t wait to share them with you all.

Before we close our laptops for a break, I wanted to leave everyone with some fun ideas for New Year’s Eve, as we won’t be posting on December 31st. Last weekend after our wreath class, Amy Merrick, Ginny Branch and I gathered at Amy Azzarito’s house to toast the end of the year and celebrate all of the exciting things coming in 2011.

To celebrate we made our own (inexpensive) DIY gold and silver-leafed champagne coupes that would be a great way to ring in the new year or just wrap up as a gift for friends. I’ve shared the full how-to steps after the jump, along with more images from our little get-together, which Ginny, Amy and Amy’s sister Mischa so festively decorated.

After this post, we’ll be taking a blogging break until the Monday after New Year’s Eve. It’s the one long break we take all year, and I hope you’ll come join us again on January 3rd when we jump into 2011 with both feet! Until then, I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday and best wishes for a wonderful new year. Thank you again for all of your love and support. I’ll see you in 2011! Love, Grace

*A big thank you to Dustin and Whitney at Oh Darling Photography for shooting our little New Year’s shindig!

CLICK HERE for the DIY Gold and Silver Leaf Champagne Glasses How-To after the jump!

DIY Gold and Silver Leaf Champagne Glasses

*You can buy a full kit of supplies here for $19. It will last you for many rounds of glasses.*

1. Clean your classes with soap and water and dry thoroughly.

2. Using your paintbrush, dab a SMALL amount of liquid adhesive on your brush to create a shape or pattern. If you’re doing a longer design, be sure to move quickly because the line will disappear as the glue starts to dry.

3. Let dry for 20–30 minutes. (Don’t worry if you can’t see the glue; it’s still there and sticky.)

4. Carefully take out a sheet of your gold or silver leaf and gently place it on top of your glue pattern/shape. Dab with your fingers until the leaf fully adheres to the glue shape. You can use a soft cloth or sponge to gently press the leaf into the glue.

5. Gently brush away the excess leafing until the shape you’ve drawn is left.

8. Using a clean paintbrush, coat the portion of your glass covered in gold/silver leaf with the leaf sealant (the sealant will dry clear). The design will not be waterproof until it’s coated. Allow the sealant to fully dry, and you’re ready to go!

Note: These are not dishwasher safe. They will be waterproof and safe to drink with, but you’ll want to wash them gently by hand.

Image above: Amy’s living room got some first class gussying-up courtesy of Amy and Mischa Merrick and Ginny Branch.

Image above: Our finished glasses and amazing beignets and biscuits from Goods in Williamsburg.

Image above: Ginny drawing our holiday sign.

Image above: Amy Azzarito’s cat, Freya, performs tricks for the crowd. She’s a remarkably good high five-er.

All photos by Dustin and Whitney of Oh Darling Photography

1. shuang-China says:

happy new year!

2. Kitchens says:

A very Happy New Year to all at Design Sponge.

3. Yanessa says:

You guys have the best ideas!! I love this one so much I
    linked you on my blog. Happy New Year to you all as well!

4. Anna says:

Thanks for all your hard work! Have a happy New Years and
    enjoy your week off.

5. Breeanna says:

Those glasses are so beautiful and I love all those great pictures.

Happy New Year!

6. dj says:

I just luvluvluv you gals!! I can troll your blog all day long… Have a fabulous start to 2011!
    PS – did I miss how you managed to get motion/action pics into your blog? I would love to know!!

7. Shelby says:

What a precious way to wrap up the year and to greet a new one.. Thank you for your inspiration, I look forward to the New Year with Design Sponge!

8. Gina A. says:

You guys are amazing. You have such an amazing team! A new year and a whole new blank slate to DIY and make pretty! Thank you so much for bringing your talent to us daily! :)

9. Heatherjean says:

Looks like a great party with a very happy team!

10. Eva says:

happy new year! your ojne of my favourite blogs! keep it up girls :D

11. Fay says:

Graaaace!! Come back soon. I’m having D*S withdrawal!!

12. Karin says:

Happy new year to you too!
    Love the first picture, looks like you had fun (: Let’s make 2011 even lovelier.

13. terri planty says:

what a great holiday / new years send off! looks like a super lady land party! love it! happy new year!!!

14. Marina says:

I love your wonderful blog. I follow you from Barcelona, Spain. I’m addicted to your amazing work. Have a nice holidays and happy new year!

15. Magdalena says:

Thank you very much for all the inspiration in 2010! WIll come back in 2011! See ya there!

Magdalena ^^

16. You are beautiful ..Happy new year from the tour Eiffel PARIS….

17. judith b. says:

Dear D*S,
    You make our day! Every day! Thank you for sharing your collective “eye”, talents, finds, passions, creativity and your darling selves…
    A very happy new year to all!

18. I will soon start a new blog with related content. Can I borrow parts of your content?

The used website is my working email and not my blog

1. grace says:

i’m afraid we don’t allow our content to be reproduced in full on other sites. but you’re welcome to use 1-2 images from a post as long as you credit and link back to d*s.