before & after: percy’s home transformation, part II

Here is the second installment of Percy’s 1915 home transformation. As you may know, I have a weakness for salvaged wood walls, and this guest bedroom room is making me way too envious. I also find it inspiring, though; Percy has tackled not one but several plain walls in his house to install a textured surface. When I have my own place, I must remember that though it seems daunting, installing brick or wood is doable.

If you see any antiques here making you envious, you may be in luck. Percy has begun selling some of the antique and vintage items. I’m assuming he does this because a) he’s crazy or b) he’s confident he can find more great pieces and wants to rotate his collection. Either way, I won’t argue with it. I’ll just reap the benefits.

To see what’s available, check out his online blog/shop Jersey Ice Cream Co. It’s worth noting that his shop sports a lovely logo design as well . . . naturally. Great work, Percy! When can I move in? — Kate

1. Ulla Greenberg says:

Wow aamzing!!!!!!!!
    I have this sink but I need to replace would it be possible to get some info where bought yours??Thnk you

2. Sara says:

The bathroom is gorgeous!!! Great work

3. Percy Bright says:

@al: Salvaged! And it was actually free, though not in the best shape. Everything was there, but the faucet had been unceremoniously torn out and took some serious work to return to functioning well. It’s not the smoothest stream in the world, but I love how it turned out.

@Heather: You’re a doll.

@ecuadoriana: Agreed. There was definitely too much going on (and no real direction) in the before pics. As for bathroom storage, I have a lovely primitive pie safe turned linen cupboard to the right of the door, and it offers plenty of storage. I’m also planning on getting a medicine cabinet up on that chalkboard wall soon.

@Ulla Greenberg: I wish I could offer more help, but I actually lucked out and got that sink for free from a contractor who pulled it out of a house he was working on and just wanted to get rid of it.

4. Rachel says:

wow! please come to my house and do the same. brilliant

5. giulia says:

I don’t like so much the rough walls… but I think the masterpiece in this house is the bathroom, really fantastic!

6. Wow! I love the bathroom wall. The only thing I would do differently is to put a mirror in the draw in space.

7. Wow – you have done an AMAZING job of making if funky, fun and your own. Can’t wait to see more of your home.

Where did you get your fabulous bed?

8. Ulla Greenberg says:

Thank you for the reply.
    Wtill keep looking for that sink…I must say I love your aesthetic…..you have inspired me.

9. Tara Mangini says:

Dear Percy,

Please don’t hang a real mirror in the bathroom. So much more fun without one.

Love, Tara

10. LP says:

I’d have to agree with your girlfriend: The mirror-space without the mirror is cheeky and elegant at the same time.

11. Mallory says:

Wow, this is AMAZING. Love the exposed brick and wood walls of course, but the bathroom is FANTASTIC. Love it!

12. ann says:

when is the HOW-TO on that lath wall coming???

13. Wow !!!
    Great work…your before/after work is really very inseparable and antique.
    Mirrorless Medicine Cabinet

14. Katherine Benezra says:

I am blown away by what you did with the lath. Who would guess that something hidden behind walls could look so beautiful as a wall! Also, love the “mirrorless” bathroom. What a great eye. Congrats.

15. Mary says:

Percy…was the bathroom mirror paint all done freehand? Is that a chalk-like paint? Can you tell me what kind of white paint you used for the bathroom drawing and how you did it? Thanks! I think I am going to go for something similar in my small bathroom.

16. Janis Elayne says:

sorry, but some befores look better than the after

17. Carrie Auckland says:

I love everything! So great! Can you come do this to my house? :)