before & after: kirsten’s chair + sarah’s credenza

It doesn’t matter how many chair images cross my desk; I will never tire of seeing great re-upholstery jobs. For one thing, I love seeing all the different chair shapes and styles out there. Second, I just love chairs, and a picture of a beautiful chair will never cease to inspire me. Case in point: this fantastic specimen from Kirsten. Not wanting to alter the chair’s lovely wood finish, Kirsten left the original frame intact and simply swapped out the old upholstery with two perfectly mismatched printed fabrics. Personally, I find the art of complementary mismatching to be quite difficult, and I enjoy seeing when someone can do it well, as Kirsten has done here. I would very much like to own this chair . . . that’s pretty much all I can say about it. Amazing work, Kirsten! — Kate

I think I’ve mentioned before that a great photo can usually win me over with before & after projects, but I promise it’s not the only factor. Sarah clearly has an eye for design and knows how to work with color. The subtle shift in tones and the mix of print and paint on this piece are expertly achieved. The fact that she’s also managed to tuck this little credenza into a charming vignette with a great mix of colors and textures is just a bonus. If I saw this piece in a shop, I’d never guess it came from such humble beginnings. It looks like the perfect addition to a rustic and stylish kid’s room. Great transformation, Sarah!

1. Ah, love that chair. I have a couple things in my shed just waiting for me to learn how to reupholster them!

2. That. Chair. Is. Gorgeous!

Not to mention a beautiful photograph. Well done!!

3. I love that chair! I want to have one of these for my room – so chic!
    Much love,

4. Lisa says:

I love the credenza. I would have a hard time passing up an unfinished version at a thrift store, whether I had a place for it or not.

5. Wow! I love em both!! I really like the use of 2 different patterns on the chair, and the light color really brings out the wood tones. Beautiful!

The credenza looks great as well, especially with the props you have used around it. The colors are amazing!

6. That chair looks incredible!

7. Dani Kreeft says:

that chair looks so crisp and ready!
    I love anyone who can pick out something a bit frumpy looking and make it look like THAT. bravo!

8. You are master!
    Well done

9. annawithlove says:

I can’t get enough of before/after posts! Love them!

10. conundrum says:

Amazing before & afters today, I especially love the fabric choices for that chair.

11. ohh, wonderful changes!!

12. orlando says:

chair: wonderful choice NOT to paint the wood, and the mismatched fabric is sassy! clap! clap! clap!

13. Anna @ D16 says:

That chair is FABULOUS!! Great job combining the two patterns. I’m totally impressed.

14. Katherine says:

Love the chair! Where are those two blue and white fabrics from?!!

15. Shayna says:

Great chair, before and after day is my favorite day of the week!

16. hi-d says:

Both projects turned out great! My Mom has a chair similar to the frame of that one and it needs to be re-upholstered. They got an estimate from someone that it would cost around $600 for fabric, building up the seat an labor! Yikes…I wish I knew how to tackle that kind of job. Looks so cool!

17. Ashley says:

What a cool combination of fabrics on Kirsten’s chair. Very, very cool.

18. Ban Clothing says:

I love the use of two different fabrics on the chair; so bold!!!!!!!!!!! I would have never thought of that and it looks phenomenal. I am also happy the wood was allowed to remain. So many people paint wood now and I like to see people who can make wood look modern.

19. eva says:

fabulous… the combination of modern and old style match..

20. Karla says:

I love the new color of that credenza!

The knobs, however, look like pimples that are about to burst.

21. Justina says:

that chair really scratches my itch. gorge!!

22. Love your choices of different fabric for your chair, very imaginative.

23. Laura says:

What a great chair!! That is inspiring me to go redo my kitchen chairs with some new fabric!

24. Rochelle says:

Love the fabrics on the chair. Does anyone know what they are or where you could find them? Looking to re-do an old wingback chair and loveseat in something like that.