2010 gift guides: splurge worthy

I always enjoy creating budget-themed gift guides, but there’s something extra fun about throwing caution to the wind and embracing the idea of luxurious gifts. Whether it’s a silk robe, handmade leather bag, cushy cashmere throw or a gold plate, sometimes a little splurge can be fun if you have someone special that you really want to treat this year. I’ve rounded up my favorite splurge-worthy finds below, and I hope you’ll find something you might consider worth the investment. The prices primarily range from $200 to $500, but there are a few ultra-splurges thrown in just for fun. Because maybe there’s someone out there lucky enough to get a $1,000+ vintage Suzani throw. If that’s you, please let us know so we can check out that beauty in your home. Stay tuned for more gift guides tomorrow and every day for the next week and a half. xo, grace

*Click here to check out the gift guide landing page on D*S with guides arranged by theme and price.

Image above: 1. Jonathan Adler Zig Zag Throw, $295; 2. Eames Walnut Hang-It-All, $249; 3. Galileo Telescope, $475; 4. Quartz Bookends, $495; 5. Aigle Rainboots, $169; 6. Fornasetti Plate, $285; 7. Keyhole Box, $470; 8. Onyx Earthspheres, $295; 9. Clare Vivier Bag, $320

Image above: 1. Large Scalloped-Edge Mirror, $348; 2. Jewel Fly Pin, $225; 3. Ottoman Silk Gown, $414 ; 4. Hand-Bowl Lamp by Curiousa & Curiousa, $860; 5. Domsai Terrarium, $150; 6. Log Stool $322.50; 7. Gold Plated Pinecones, $395; 8. Lambswool Throw, $128

Image above: 1. Zig Zag Shawl, $195; 2. Bow Ring, $75; 3. The Dorm Display Box, $140; 4. Paul Smith Coffee Pot, $278; 5. Vintage Suzani Throw, $1,995; 6. Civetta Bookends, $268; 7. Rhythm Zip Wallets, $385; 8. Electra Girard Circles Bike; 9. Etched Mercury Glass Demijohns, $295+

Image above: 1. Maple Falls Sheet Set, $178+; 2. Bamboo Reading Glasses, $110; 3. One-of-a-Kind Log Cabin Pendant, $598; 4. “Flash” Flats by Kate Spade, $125; 5. Faux-Fur Tree Skirt, $198; 6. Bronze Vase/Candleholder, $280; 7. Pindots Bowl, $395

1. leslie says:

Dear Santa, I would like the zig zag throw, the clare vivier bag, and the electra girard circles bike. I’ve been very good this year:) xo

2. Masha says:

Oh, I love the Clare Vivier bag and Kate Spade flats…

3. LOVE this roundup, Grace!!

4. Sugar says:

I want it all- everything. Please. So fantastic.

5. Camellia says:

I love the chevron patterned scarf in the first collection.

1. grace says:

thanks guys :)

camellia- it’s actually a throw- and it’s amazing in person. sooo soft.

g

6. Matrioshka says:

I’ve been crushing on that eames rack for like 6 months…might be time to get it.

7. Christine says:

The lambswool throw, the fornasetti plate, the robe, the display box… be still my heart!

8. Katy says:

Majorly crushing EVERYTHING on this list.

9. carolyn says:

i am so in love with each of these throws. must send santa this list :)

10. jodi says:

i am in love with the eames hang-it-all. *sigh*

11. hena tayeb says:

oh i love that vintage suzani throw.. if only it wasn’t for $2000!!!

12. donna says:

so many great gifts here. I wish Santa would bring me the Trop bag by Clare Vivier.

13. I absolutely LOVE those Kate Spades! and that candle holder, and that lamp! Another great list of suggestions

14. Mary-Grace says:

Oh my, these are all just fabulous. Thanks so much for putting this together, I’m sure it’s a lot of work for you, but it’s oh-so-convenient for all of us lazy shoppers!

15. i hope santa brought his wallet, because i want… pretty much everything in this roundup. {but especially the log stool and jonathan adler zig zag throw! *swoon*}

16. Ashley says:

So much here to love! My favorites are the quartz bookends, the scalloped-edge mirror, and the virginia johnson shawl…but I won’t dare add them to my real Christmas list. Dreaming is fun, though!

17. katie evans says:

ooooh the silk gown is amazinggg.

18. suzanne says:

i come to your site all the time, and never comment, and i just had to this time. i love everything on here and want it all! those kate spade flats . . . sigh . . . the rain boots? dude! the bike? the clare viver bag??? i’m hyperventilating over here.

thanks for sharing; love your site, love this post!

-suz

1. grace says:

thanks suzanne ;)

g

19. Jen says:

I’ll have one of each! I do especially love the silk robe, though!

20. Tricia Rose says:

You had me at the zigzag throw…

21. Caitlin says:

Anyone know a more affordable alternative to the Maple Falls sheet set? They’re amazing!!!

22. John J Tackett says:

One of the many things I learned from working for Albert Hadley was to keep an eye out for new handmade or vintage gifts all year long. I still find small miscellaneous items like Fornesetti coasters for a couple of dollars each that are very appreciated by architects and decorators.

23. Ban Clothing says:

chevron’s pull at my heart strings… great pick

24. I really love Fornasetti and that gorgeous silk gown

25. elissa c says:

So many divine finds! I love the silk gown and wool throw especially. I bought one of those Hang It Alls and it arrived yesterday, much to my delight. Apparently there were only 200 sent to Australia.

26. holly regan says:

You make it so tempting to shop for thyself! :-)

27. Elif says:

I love the gown.

28. C says:

The Paul Smith coffee pot is actually designed by Arne Jacobsen… but Stelton who produces it invited Paul Smith to give it a lift… new colourful handles…

Here is a link so that you can have a read by your selv :-)

29. Reana says:

I think I deserve a treat or two or three…I so love Design Sponge

30. emely says:

your website is really amazing. it includes answers 4 all my questions. i really loved it.