2010 gift guides: monogram gifts

I know that the novelty of owning items with my name on them probably should have worn off by adulthood, but I have to admit that I still love giving and receiving monogrammed gifts, and I don’t see myself tiring of it anytime soon. There are many great reasons to love personalized objects. Not only are individual letters such beautiful designs in their own right, but there’s also a sweetness to labeling something especially for someone you love. It’s kind of like carving their name on a tree, but without any safety hazards or environmental concerns :)

I’ve found some amazing monogram gift ideas, and I’m pleased to report that these options go far beyond the initialed towel or bathrobe. There are gifts of all sizes and shapes here; hopefully you can find the perfect gift to suit your budget and style. Enjoy! — KBP

Image above: 1. Papercut Letters, $25; 2. Petit Love Stone, $15; 3. Perch Letter Lights, $120; 4. Alphabet Letter Tote Bag, $20 5. Missus Monogram Mugs, $6; 6. Monogram Votives, $10; 7. Retro Modern Letters, $15

Image above, from left: Custom Mugs, $18; Large Letters, $125.

Image above, from left: Monogram Coir Mat, $85–$110; Custom Address Stamp $19.95

CLICK HERE for the rest of the guide after the jump!

Image above: 1. Pinwale Alphabet, $14; 2. Monogram Stoneware Juice Cup, $65; 3. Wax Seal Monogram Pendant, $26; 4. Linen Monogram Napkins, $18; 5. Metallic Personalized iPad Case, $102; 6. Jonathan Adler Letter Pillow, $98; 7. Signature Antique Spoon Ring, $15; 8. Letter Hooks, $17; 9. Personalized Notecard Set, $25

Image above, from left: Monogrammed Shadow Stripe Throw, $49; Mirror Coasters, $12

1. Nathan says:

Awesome collection! but I was sad to see our monogram barn wood wasn’t included http://www.etsy.com/listing/61912635/custom-monogram-barnwood

2. annawithlove says:

love this! I`m so enjoying every gift guide!

3. I love the traditional elegance of a monogram! For Christmas this year I bought my mother a pair of J. Crew’s traditional cotton shirting pajamas, then learned that they will not monogram on the breast pocket–only below the pocket. Huh? So I’m going to monogram her initials myself with my rudimentary embroidery skills. Holiday mayhem!

4. Tracy says:

I love this! All I could think of was mary tyler moore and her M :) I made my own gold-tone plastercraft “T” when I was little and it’s been proudly displayed in every apartment I’ve ever had, and the first thing I put up.

5. Loooove monograms! You can rarely go wrong when you combine typography and personalization. I have a DIY tutorial with free pattern for an embroidered initial notecard on my blog for another option: http://blog.aquickstudyonline.com/2010/11/diy-monogram-notecard-%e2%80%93-part-2/

(It also ran on the papernstitch blog.)

6. Cher@NR says:

I loved monogrammed stuff! Loved this post!

7. love them all! thanks for this sweet little post… well, i guess it’s not so little…ha ha ha

8. Yes! I love monograms. How can you go wrong with a person’s own initials? The excitement never gets old. The spoon is especially lovely

9. Renee says:

Great round up! I totally just ordered the pebble for my boyfriend for our upcoming anniversary – thanks for the gift ideas!

10. Selena Cate says:

I am loving letters. Did you see Cathe Holden’s post yesterday on vintage letters? Not quite monograms but a similar idea. I can’t get enough of letters at the moment.

11. i adore type as home decor!!!! in fact, i’m beginning to worry our apartment is starting to look like a preschool thanks to my fascination with oversized letters… woops.

that said, i use one of the anthropologie initial mugs in our bathroom to hold my toothbrush, and would really love to get a coordinating {but more masculine} version for my boyfriend’s side of the sink as well. has anyone come across a more guy friendly initial coffee mug by chance?? i would love any suggestions…

12. audrey says:

love the gift guide! thank you for featuring our letters from Edie’s Lab (#7 at the top). We really appreciate it.

13. hena tayeb says:

i don’t have anything monogrammed but it makes me fee like a should.. great list

14. Joy Merryman says:

I love monograms. They are the original avatar, personal icon or profile pic!

15. mydesignchic says:

I adore a beautiful monogram on anything from towels to scarves to silver…never seem to tire of it!!

16. I love giving personalized gifts, so these are all great ideas. Thanks!

17. Leslie says:

I love the petit love stone :)

18. holly regan says:

Some really great ideas yet again and it’s so appreciated that the pricepoints are varied with so many affordable options!

I went to a paint your own pottery place and created a platter with a monogram recently and it was a very well received gift.

CheCk LA PLATES for more monogrammed goods.

19. Lisa says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I have been literally racking my brain for a perfect wedding gift for my gf and her new hubby and the monogrammed rock is perfect.

20. wonderland says:

This stone is so lovely!

21. Christine says:

I love those monogram napkins and the retro modern letters! i have the Missus mug and I absolutely love it!

22. Ida Björs says:

Oh I´m gonna get those mugs, they are so lovely.

23. Monogramming anything makes it so much more special and thoughtful.

24. Betsy says:

I love to see clean, modern monograms. I can’t help but invite you to see some of my monogrammed stitched note cards.

25. Sara, West Elm had some cool initial mugs (large black letter, white mug) that are great for guys, but I don’t see them on their site anymore. Maybe in the store? Also I saw some on the SALE shelf at Target.

26. oneida says:

thank you for posting this! i have been looking for something monogrammed for my sister and her fiance for christmas since they are getting married on new year’s. i might even diy one of these!

27. Betsy says:

Great finds! This idea is really cool too, get whatever you want cutout of wood…http://whatwoodyousay.com/

28. Sally says:

Absolutely love big intitials – so simple yet so classy at the same time! Those candles are gorgeous. Have already bought a few totes from alphabetbags.com – they make such perfect gifts!

29. Cheryl Vozzella says:

Love the Jonathan Adler initial pillow. I would love to
    make it. Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find a
    pattern? Needlepoint or Bargello?