2010 gift guides: for the francophile

For nearly a year and a half now, I’ve called Paris home. So it seemed fitting to put together a holiday guide to help you — or your loved one — channel your inner Francophile. Since Parisian apartments are notoriously petite, I wanted to pick out some simple (and easy to ship) items that would add a little Parisian charm to your life this holiday season. Joyeuse fêtes! — Anne

Images above: 1. Caroline Blavec Lilac & Purple Cotton Apron, €89.70; 2. Mariages Frères Neige de Jasmin Tea Gift Set, €140; 3. Sac à Baguette, $299.00; 4. Natalie Lete “Bonsoir” [Good Evening] Plate for Anthropologie, €28.00; 5. Blanca Gomez Paris Print (comes in London and New York, too!), $60; 6. Savon de Marseille Soap, €9.90; 7. Souleiado Embroidered Bag, €169

Images above: 8. Rue des Martyrs print by Little Brown Pen, $30; 9. Sabre Cheese Knife, €18 (also on Amazon); 10. Famille Summerbelle Paris City Bag, $30

CLICK HERE for more Francophile gift ideas after the jump!

Images above: 11. Pâtes a Tartiner (en Français) by Rachel Khoo, €7,40; 12. Je Sais Cuisiner Pour Mes Doudous (en Français) by Martine Camilleri, €29; 13. My Little Paris — Le Paris Secret des Parisiennes (check out the video here to see inside), €14.90

Image above: Vahram Muratyan‘s Paris vs. NYC prints now for sale, $42

Image above: French jewelry designer Victoria LaCroix’s jewelry named after different areas of Paris; Butte Chaumont pictured above, €100

Image above: Double Merrick’s La Lune and Le Soleil prints, €42

Image above: Grow Little custom terrariums by Kali Vermes (available in Paris onlysorry!)

Hi Guys! This is Grace — I couldn’t resist adding a few of my favorite pieces that remind me of France. My favorites are: 1. Taschen’s Paris, $39.99; 2. St. James Sailor Shirt, $139; 3. French Linen Dish Towels, $22 each; 4. Astier de Villatte Teacup and Saucer, $155; 5. French Market Basket, $37.80; 6. Bensimon Sneakers, $55

1. Jessica says:

I absolutely adore each and every one of these…how freaking clever are the Paris v. NYC prints?? I am asking Santa for a set ;)
    I am so bitter that I have yet to travel to France…so I must live vicariously. sigh*

2. Lissette says:

Oh man, thank you so much for doing this! I am an absolute Francophile and everything here is making me miss Paris more than usual.

3. Alison says:

I love this gift guide, la lune and le soleil are my favorites.
    something funny I noticed, the “x” in “eSpresso” on the NYC vs Paris print haha

4. Alison says:

Ha. Just realized it was in FRENCH. duh. Face palm.

5. Alison says:

Ha. I just realized it’s in FRENCH. duh. Face palm.

6. Shalini says:

This gift guide has my name all over it.

7. I love your selection Anne. And not only because I’m French! ;)

8. Susan says:

J’adore! Great selections Anne & Grace!

9. Avril says:

oh the sac a baguette is the swoonsiest. I want to buy it and polyurethane a baguette and throw it ever-so-casually over une bicyclette in my hallway!

10. Que c’est joli! A taste of home for me, it has been many years since I lived there, how I miss it!

11. db says:

12. Jennifer says:

I saw the Bensimon sneakers (and Chuck Taylors) all over Paris but could not figure out what they were called. Thank you!

13. Molly says:

Thank you for this post!!! I’m sending my family a link to this page asap. All I want for Christmas!

14. vivid says:

we love this! So super cute :) Will you be our friend and give us these gifts? hee hee! good taste :)

15. MissHeliotrope says:

Cute, and while I tend to find annoying the complaints about such things, what’s so french about the sun or the moon? Other countries get them as well, you know…

1. grace says:

miss heliotrope:

yes, we’re aware that all countries have the moon and sun. the words are written in french- that’s the connection. this roundup is a mix of things inspired by, made in, and written in france/french.

16. Sara says:

Oh my my, I simply need it all! Je taime! x

17. Clotilde M. says:

Lovely items! Good taste!

18. Theresa says:

I love the baguette bag. It made me laugh because I’m always turning my bags inside out trying to get rid of the crumbs. Finally someone thought to give it its own space in the journey home.

19. Kirs says:

Yea! I had no idea I could get Astier de Villatte ceramics without going to Paris. Brought myself home a lovely platter this summer and really wanted more.

20. Rachel says:

What an honour to have my book in the your French selection! Merci beaucoup.

21. Marissa says:

I want it all! I LOVE the embroidered bag!

22. D'Homez says:

I love all the gifts that are listed here. Great collection!

23. pacamanca says:

I bought Blanca Gomez’s prints (I got the set for Paris, NYC and London) after following a link from your site (I think, can’t remember anymore!). Love them! Still haven’t figured out where to hang them as I have no free walls left (there’s NO WAY I’ll get rid of my Middle-Earth map, no matter how cute Gomez’s prints are!), but we’ll come up with something ;)

Anyway, love the post. Love all things France. Sometimes it makes me sad thinking that I decided to study Italian instead of French years ago – my husband is Italian and look where I’ve ended up! I could be living in France now! Shucks! ;)

24. Loora says:

299$ for a “sac à baguette” ? 139$ for a St James shirt ? 22$ for linen dish towels ? Where do you shop ? I can’t believe how expensive these are, I never paid that much for such items… (I hope there’s a mistake for the “sac à baguette” and that it’s 29,90$ in reality).

I like your finds ! There are not too cliche, which is pretty rare I think. I just may ask for the “Je sais cuisiner pour mes doudous” book for Christmas !

Joyeuses fêtes si vous les passez à Paris, et bonne chance avec toute cette neige !

25. Patricia Flournoy says:

I, too, live in France (Beaune)for three months a year but you have found many more wonderful things than I do…Thanks…Merci mille fois…I need a little help with Christmas Shopping…

26. reeve says:

obsessed with the Souleiado Embroidered Bag. Thanks for sharing!

27. Melissa Omerberg says:

For anyone who loves French culture, travel, food, design, artisanat, etc. etc., a subscription to France Magazine would also be a great gift: http://www.francemagazine.org.

28. Avril says:

I’m always surprised by people’s reactions to some of these high priced products. It takes a lot of time and money for small companies to make beautifully constructed things with intricate attention to detail. I’d rather buy one of these beauties and have for 10 years than 10 things from TJMaxx that fall apart after one.

29. le sac à baguette, ah ah , just necessary when living in France !! ;-)

30. What a beautiful collection! I think I may leave this post up on the computer for a family member to spot. ;)

31. Lauren says:

the link to the souleiado bag is broken; would you mind reposting it? thank you!

32. Love it all!! Bien sur! Merci beacoup for including us in your gift guide!!