2010 gift guides: for the animal lover

Pet toys share a common trait with children’s toys — the big plastic monstrosities are often the real crowd-pleasers. But I’ve rounded up my favorite items that are sure to please pets and design-conscious owners alike. And if you have a pet-less animal-loving friend, I’ve found some fun animal-themed items, too. — Amy A.

Image above: 1. Martha Stewart Space Dye Sweater, $19.99; 2. Found My Animal Harness, $54–58 (made by Brooklyn-based Found My Animal, which donates 25% of all profits to the Louis Animal Foundation); 3. Pup Pies, $7.99; 4. Horace the Pig Cutting Board, $39; 5. Dog Bed Bones, $195; 6. Seed Bombs, $6; 7. Marmalade Cat Scratcher, $42 each; 8. Cat Attack Scratching Post, $40; 9. Holden Design Pet Feeder, $94; 10. Zoo Year Calendar, $24.99; 11. Fashion Pack Note Cards, $18

Image above: Native American Teepee, $24

Image above: Pedigree Bowtie Collar, $18

CLICK HERE for 17 more great animal-lover gift ideas after the jump!

Image above: 1. Corrugated Cardboard Canadian Cabin, $24; 2. Tube Birdhouse, $28; 3. Crocheted Cotton Kicker Toy, $12; 4. Adjustable Found Recycled P.E.T. Rope Leash, $43–$52 (also made by Found My Animal); 5. Leather Dog Collar, $39; 6. Sally Sisal Mouse, $6; 7. Cat Grass, $9; 8. Wildfield Dog Bed, $148

Image above: Donate $25 to Best Friends, the largest sanctuary for abused and abandoned animals with a nationwide network, and your gift recipient will receive the organization’s monthly magazine. You can also sponsor an animal with a one-time gift, or commit to monthly support for the care of some of the neediest animals at the shelter and become a Guardian Angel.

Image above: 1. Photobooth Dogs, $10.17; 2. Curve Mounted Wall Pet Bed, $199.99; 3. Le Sportsac Dog Bone, $12; 4. G0 Cat, Cat Catcher, $8.98 (This mouse on a wire is one of my favorite cat toys and is guaranteed to get even the laziest cat moving!); 5. Nantucket Bike Basket, $118 (This basket is so awesome, it almost made me want to get a dog just so we could bike around the city together.); 6. Pup’s Trench Coat, $48; 7. Mustache Dog Toy, $10 (Your dog will look like it’s sporting a mustache when it carries this ball!); 8. 3-Piece Dog Bowl Set, $10.99–$18.99

1. Lissette says:

OMG so many Boston Terriers! I’m sold.

2. Ashley says:

I love the idea of the seed bombs. My boyfriend’s parents love their garden and I’m always needing gift ideas for them!!

3. kiki says:

oh i’m so so excited!!! we’re going through the adoption process right now to rescue a Greyhound and we have nothing yet! this is perfect :)

4. Catherine says:

I love the bowtie collars and the mustache ball–so fun!

5. EmmyL says:

I want to get the teepee or cabin for my cat, but I’m afraid he’ll be too fat to fit through the opening! :-/

6. wow great idea… I was sent your blog linka nd i’m lovin what i see..do you do a lot of dog related posts?

7. Kate says:

I agree with EmmyL, I want either the teepee or the cabin! So adorable!

8. pinassotte says:

it’s a great idea and so pretty !!

9. Danielle says:

I bought a different variety of the garden in a bag a couple years ago for all my friends and none of them worked. Everyone came back and told me that they couldn’t get anything to grow. So, perhaps go for the teepee over the Catgrass.

1. amya says:

Hi Danielle – Maybe it depends on where they live – which is certainly a good thing to keep in mind – I got one for my brother-in-law a couple of years ago and it worked well, but he lives in Southern California – I think you can get pretty much anything to grow there! :) xo Amy

10. db says:

*squeal* mustache dog toy! anthropologie bed…bow ties..!
    so many goodies today. I recently bought those martha stewart 3-piece dog bowls. that lid is smart. matching jar for treats is great too. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4022362

1. amya says:

db – I got the mustache dog toy for my sister’s pit bull and it was SUPER cute! xo Amy

11. Casey says:

That teepee is so cute (especially with the grumpy-looking cat inside)! The bike basket is awesome – should get one of these when I finally get my mini doxie. Thanks for all of the cool finds!

12. Brittany says:

I bought the dog mustache for my brothers french bulldog this christmas…as well as a bottle of dog beer! He has a patch of white in the shape of a necktie to boot. He’ll be a right gentleman!

13. Oh my goodness!

The above photos made my afternoon. I have a Boston Terrier, so anytime I see a photo of one my heart melts.

-Camberley

14. I can just see my pug in that superhero trenchcoat!

15. cass says:

What font did you use at the very top, where it says Animal Lovers?

16. amy says:

I am super excited about that dog basket!

17. Bobbi says:

This is another great place to get modern dog bowls: http://mayakhaira.com/Little_Bend_Bowls.html

18. Kelly says:

Such cute stuff – I am in love with all of Mungo and Maude’s stuff though. You should check them out!!

19. Christine says:

those bowtie collars are too adorable! and that leather collar is such a great find – love the idea of the push release buckle. great picks!

20. Louise says:

A superb list for our furry (and not so furry) friends!

21. This is my favorite. I’m revising Lyle’s gift list as we speak. santa paws is growing lyle a mustache for sure and a tepee might be in order. and i just realized that’s a bike basket. fantastic list

22. The Wildfield Dog Bed is on sale right now for $99.95. Still a lot, but for Anthro, not bad.

23. I’m loving all of it… how to choose?

24. I HAVE CAT says:

So excited to see pet items featured. I have a cat blog called I HAVE CAT – about being a single woman in the city – with cat (s). One of my BIGGEST challenges is finding aesthetically pleasing cat stuff and I’m so excited by some of your finds! Can’t wait to see more!
    tamar

25. *Ashley Terese* says:

Aww everything is so cute..

Grace I was wondering is AC going to do another guide to guys gifts this year? I have a few things in mind but it’s always neat to hear a guys perspective of cool things on the market I might not have noticed this year. I’m looking over the 25 under $100 guide right now too.

Thanks!

1. grace says:

ashley

yep! it will be up this week :)

g

26. n says:

A bunny basket, perhaps? Eamesy definitely needs that! :)

27. Koala says:

My cat is a proud owner of a Teepee for about a week now and he is inside HIS new house 24/24. This Teepee is also “fat cat ready”: door can be enlarge! What a nice idea :)

28. Carol says:

$200 for a cat bed? Seriously?!

29. So sad the mustache dog ball is sold out. HAHA. I love it.

30. christina says:

aw, you left out the bunnies.

that said, my pet house rabbit’s favorite toy ever has got to be cardboard toilet paper tubes, with apple tree twigs running a close second, so maybe he doesn’t need too much innovation. keepin’ it simple.

31. meemsnyc says:

Ooh, these are such cute ideas!

32. Katy says:

The cat does NOT look happy!

33. Piper M. says:

My kitty’s had his cat cabin for months now. He doesn’t hang out in it as much as I’d like him to, though… I might line it with a blanket to encourage him to nap there more often.

34. amya says:

Becka – You should be able to find one on another site. There’s plenty out there! Here’s an option http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/pets/d5e5/?cpg=froogle or just google “Humunga Stache Ball” Good luck!
    -Amy

35. the one thing i really and truly want for christmas is a cat – and thanks to my upcoming move out of my current, animal-unfriendly apartment complex, i can FINALLY get one!!! i’m thinking a cat tee-pee will be in order….

36. Peaches says:

I NEED THAT TEEPEE.
    I just bought my cat-child a cardboard tree house. Christmas will be very kitty-centric this year. Huzzah!

37. amya says:

sorry christina! next year i’ll spread the pet love a little bit more! :) xoamy

38. *Ashley Terese* says:

Thanks Grace! I’ll wait to check it out before I finish the boyfriend list :)

39. Danielle says:

I’ve been waiting for seed bombs to make a dog/cat friendly bomb!

40. oh
    house number one! I’ll buy you:)

41. Literary Dog says:

Fantastic list. Thanks for including Photobooth Dogs! (it was one of my editorial projects at Chronicle) A fascinating collection of vintage images and ephemera and a great gift.

42. Amanda Stark says:

I just stumbled across your blog, I LOVE the gift ideas they are so cool! Great post!

43. yiwu agent says:

Thanks for including Photobooth Dogs!

44. Nancy says:

I love it! Here is another great site for animal lovers: http://www.worldtohome.com/figurine-fans.aspx. I really adore their animal fans. They’re really cute and perfect for those hot days.