weekly wrap up + beautiful elopement video

With the wealth of beautiful weddings shared online, one can easily forget how private, personal and special that moment is. We’re allowed to poke through the couple’s pictures, comment on the most intimate details of the day and feel as if we were actually guests at the ceremony. Despite all of this apparent access to their big day, I still feel lucky each time someone chooses to share pieces of their wedding with anyone online. And today I feel incredibly honored to share this touching video of April Powell and Jeremy Crantek’s elopement in San Francisco — not only because they chose to work with Studio Choo for their flowers, but because this video feels so genuine and personal that it’s hard to watch without tearing up.

Shortly after April and Jeremy’s engagement, they started to plan a small wedding in Tennessee. Within three months of planning, the wedding had quadrupled in size and budget because of outside pressures. Distressed about the progression of things, April and Jeremy looked at each other and said, “What are we doing?” After discussing how they envisioned marrying each other, they sent out an email with the subject title, “Reclaiming Our Wedding 2010.”

After that, April says there was only one right way — just the two of them. So they flew to Los Angeles, rented a car, spent three days driving up Highway 1 and got married on a Monday in San Francisco. In planning, there were a few elements that were important to them: the flowers, the video (shot by Britt Simmons, to be shared with friends and family) and making sure to keep it simple. If anything stressed them out for over 20 minutes, they decided to just let it go.

On Monday they woke up, ordered room-service, drank mimosas, got dressed, jumped in a car, picked up the flowers (from the Studio Choo girls!), then the cake and were married by noon. As they exited the City Hall, Jeremy surprised April by hiring a guitarist to play their first dance on the sidewalk. Then they had lunch at a small bistro near Golden Gate Park and spent the day exploring. April explained, “By 6, we were back at our beautiful hotel suite ordering Indian food delivery. The day was full of romance and spontaneity, and all day, we were wrapped up in the simple ease of it all. Perfect.” I couldn’t imagine a more perfect day and I feel so lucky to have witnessed part of this in the video above. (And I love Rogue Wave‘s amazing rendition of Buddy Holly’s “Everyday”.) I hope everyone can experience this sort of feeling in their lives; it is so special and, for me, is the perfect way to bring this week to a close.

AC and I are heading into Manhattan for a weekend “stay-cation” to celebrate our seven-year (dating) anniversary, so I couldn’t resist ending today on a sweet note. Thank you so much to April and Jeremy for sharing their day with us. Here’s wishing you all a wonderful weekend and lots of love. xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. Mary Larter says:

I love this video. My brother and husband are both in the military so it was really hard to get them in the same state at the same time – much less with a year’s notice. After over a year of engagement we still hadn’t been able to set a date. Then my brother called home and said, “I’m going to Afghanistan in two weeks. I get 10 days at home and I’ll be back tomorrow.” So it was either wait another year or do it right then. We planned it in three days and did a quiet private ceremony with just our parents and my brother. I remember feeling like we’d missed out on something by not having the “whole sha-bang” but I think it ended up being the best thing we could have done. Congrats to these two! I hope you have a wonderful life together. :)

2. Corinna says:

Wow! I am soo touched! I have to admit, that the thing that keeps me from consider marrying my very much adorable Deary is the horrible though of a big, unpersonal wedding that has nothing to do with our feelings for it… But I know that his family will blame it on me, when we would escape to get married and would probleby never forgive it. So we stay a happily unmarried couple! How brave to do the thing the 2 did! Please live happily ever after!

3. Maria says:

That was such a beautiful video. Nearly had me tearing up at my desk. Was a lovely bright ray of sunshine on this stormy day.

Thanks so much for sharing. x

4. michele says:

i’m in a puddle of tears. So beautiful and inspiring. Thank you

5. Lila Croft says:

that was just perfect…so natural and lovely… it is the start of a life lived to the most without an effort, just love! All you need is love!
    Have a happy life!
    …and thanks for sharing***

6. April says:

I wept at this! This was just so lovely. Oh goodness…here come the tears again!

7. annkent says:

This is refreshingly beautiful and shows what a fabulous result can be had from a bit of ingenuity and creativity! You may have started a new trend! Bravo … and yes, I shed a tear over this as well. Lovely and many, many congratulations!

8. Karen says:

Even as my marriage is ending, this restores my belief that true love is possible. There is purity and beauty in the simplicity of their ceremony – the purpose of the day rings true.

9. Jennie says:

What a totally charming video, and beautifully shot and edited! I think it’s a nice way to share a private experience with friends and family.

That said, this video is so freaky weird — has anyone noticed how much our lives are starting to look like movies? The close-ups, the colors, the camera movements … Cinema set up a whole bunch of formal strategies for turning real life into narratives, and now we’re turning that back on ourselves. The 21st century is SO WEIRD!!

10. Jessica says:

totally cried.

11. megan says:

I feel lucky to have seen a glimpse of their beautiful day. What a lovely idea.

12. Naomi says:

Truly beautiful :)
    Thank you for sharing such intimate and most special time of all.. it took me back to our wedding day, that atmosphere, the heart racing, and that love in our eyes. Thank you and best wishes to you two:)
    Naomi :)

13. Sara(Mrs.B.) says:

I really hate to even bring a word of negativity to their beautiful experience but I do want to share another point of view- I hope it’s ok. We eloped 24 years ago and are still madly and dreamily in love, best thing I ever did was marrying that man but every anniversary I am sad that we didn’t have a “proper” wedding. The planning was out of hand with mother and mother in law expectations but I wish we had just planned a less elaborate ceremony instead of abandoning the whole thing. Follow your hearts and be true to yourselves – my true self loves rituals and ceremonies and traditions and I should have realized that I really wanted a wedding day.

Many blessings to the happy couple, their day looked so romantic and fun!

14. LeAnn says:

so amazing! I love everything about this!

15. liz says:

thank you so much for sharing this. i have watched it about 100 times since you posted it!

a bunch of my friends are starting to get married and its had me thinking about what i would want for myself if and when the time comes. this video tapped into my feelings about marriage and the tradition of weddings in that it really should be about the two people involved.

april and jeremy showed that you can have a truly amazing, unique and special day even without the pomp and circumstance.

love it.

16. Kathryn says:

My husband and I just got married about a month ago, although the wedding was small, it did seem a bit like a display. This was a truly WONDERFUL idea. very personal and intimate. I might do this if I had it to do over again.

17. Jessica says:

This is so gorgeous, I’ve shared it with about everyone I know. Is there anywhere we can see still photos from their special day?

18. Gretta says:

Wow, I just stumbled upon this in the archives and I’m blown away. Just look at their faces and body language…I see two genuine, kind, and really sweet people that are obviously really in love.

Isn’t this what we all wish for? Someone to love us like this? April and Jeremy have it, and I wish them all the happiness in the world.

19. Melissa says:

I have never commented on anything on this web page before and I am on all the time but I just had to say thank you for sharing this. I am planning a wedding at the moment and keeping things very simple. Seeing your video is refreshing and helps keep it in perspective with all the wedding media whirling around me it is nice to see there are others who feel who you are committing to is what it is all about. Also I just LOVED the street musician. I almost love it more then the wedding I am planning. Congrats and may the rest of your life be this lovely and simple.

20. Marty J. says:

This is the sweetest video ever. I’m linking to my Friday dance this week, which is all about elopement.

21. What a lovely video!!! I ADORE San Francisco City Hall Weddings. They are intimate, emotional and fun. SF City Hall is one of the best places to get married so not to consider it for the intimate wedding would be a miss. Unless planning a wine country wedding or a big event, this venue should be on everyone’s list.

22. Malisams says:

HOLY SOBBING HERE. so beautiful. yay for love.

23. Jessica says:

i’m only now just viewing this and i admire them for letting go of the outside influences and going with their hearts and each other- tears indeed.

24. Valerie says:

It’s now 2012, I find myself still going back to see that special moment between two great friends. It what inspired both my partner of then ten years to do the same, following so many family pressures.

25. this video is so beautiful! i just saw a link to it via cup of jo. so lovely and intimate. that’s the best kind of wedding, i think.

26. Otto says:

This was a truly WONDERFUL idea.