sneak peek: stacey sargent of love and photographs

A little over a year ago, Stacey Sargent moved with her husband from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Ladera Ranch, California, which is just east of Laguna Beach. The couple’s apartment building overlooks Ladera Ranch and they can even see the ocean from their balcony, which is slowly transforming them from snow people to beach people! Stacey has kept the walls white to play up the bright southern California light and she brings in color with furniture and accent pieces. Thanks Stacey and thanks to Vogo Image for the lovely photographs! Amy A.

When we moved into this apartment, it was just a plain white box with absolutely zero character. So, I wanted to first and foremost give it character and life, and make it feel like us and [less] like an apartment. We were on a tight budget, so I furnished the place with lots and lots of goodies from local thrift stores, and revamped them to make them my own. I love decorating with vintage and thrift store items; I feel like it instantly gives the place more character, because the pieces have been well loved and have stories behind them! I have always had a love for interior design. My mother is an interior designer, and I grew up watching her work her magic on our homes and those of her clients. I have helped friends and family redecorate their homes, and decided it was time to branch out; I am just starting on redecorating my first home in Utah next month. Design is something I have a serious passion for, and I truly believe that even if your residence is just an apartment and not something you own, it is important to decorate it and make it a place you love being in.

Image above: This door is one of my favorite things in the whole place. It makes the room even better. My brother found, painted and distressed this for me! These chairs are my prized possessions and something I will keep forever! They are from The Gatehouse in Orem, Utah.

Image above: I love maps, and found this 1935 World Atlas at a vintage consignment shop. The coffee table belonged to my late grandmother. I also love photography, so all my cameras are displayed throughout the house.

Image above: This piano was the best deal ever! I purchased it for $80 at a thrift store, and it sounds and looks amazing (but it did cost us triple the purchase price to haul it up the three flights of stairs to our apartment, but it was well worth it!). My husband loves to play the piano, and I got it for him as a surprise, while he was gone on a business trip. The four paintings above my husband bought for me at a local vintage store for my birthday.

CLICK HERE for more of Stacey’s sneak peek!

Image above: I love books and bird cages, so this area of my house is one of my favorites. Most everything is thrifted and cost next to nothing! We are both from Utah so I bought my “I heart Utah” print from Q.A. Designs (they have all states). The photo is from a one-year anniversary photo shoot we did with Nicole Carman Photography.

Image above: I love the white in our small kitchen and just added a few personal touches. The old screen door holds my favorite Polaroid pictures, and I also hung my first oil painting and wedding photos taken by the uber-talented Jonathan Canlas. The bar is super high, so we vetoed barstools, and I hung a print from 20X200, and I painted the “XO” on white canvases for some visual interest.

Image above: When not occupied by friends or family, I use the guest room as the headquarters for my online clothing consignment shop! Most of the wall hangings and accessories are from IKEA, and the headboard and desk are thrift pieces.

Image above: The dress form is from eBay, and the dress is vintage from San Francisco. I hung vintage maps of places that mean something to us. We are both from Utah, and Chris served at an LDS mission in Brazil for two years.

Image above: The dresser is a thrift store find!

1. Brooke says:

I have the same atlas! I framed the european county maps in Ikea frames for the guest room, love the orange and aqua color scheme.

2. Amy says:

This is amazing and I love the piano! I have so much trouble designing around my childhood piano – a black lacquer upright that dominates and dictates the feel of my small home. I would love to see more examples of small spaces that incorporate the piano :)

3. Lauren says:

As a fellow South OC gal, I’m really loving this tour! It can be difficult to inject character and personality in our cookie cutter apartments and you’ve totally pulled it off. Sometimes I see these tours and think, with that architecture, anything would look good! Love that you worked with it. Do tell where you shop here!! My fav thrift store out here just closed and I’ve been in a funk! I need a new place to stalk ;)

4. Lizet says:

this mish mosh of color splashes and patterns work so well together. The clean contemporary lines of the apartment compliment the vintage look of the decor. Love it!

5. Miriam says:

I LOVE your color palette. It struck me to the moon. I agree that this is one of the loveliest sneak peeks I’ve seen here! Beautiful!

6. Christine says:

I love the color palette too! I also love how you used the Target pillows, and I couldn’t tell where they came from – you made them totally your own.

7. Thrifty!? This looks amazing, simply amazing. What creativity! The photographs are terrrific too, I really like the toning in many of them!

8. Michelle says:

This is the best house ever. I am in LOVE.

9. Lauz says:

One of my all time favourite sneak peeks! You have a real sense of beauty, particularly in your choice of textiles.

10. Hilary says:

Very Inspiring! Love all the colors and prints, furniture, and vintage/thrift store finds! I hated the idea of living in an apartment that is boring with no character, but this is just amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

11. deborah c. says:

I would love to know where you got that divine peacock lampshade from!
    Thanks Stacey

12. sadia says:

Love your apartment. One question…where is the pink vase in the second pic from?