sneak peek: angie hranowsky

While randomly driving through a neighborhood in her hometown of Charleston, South Carolina, Angie Hranowsky spotted this home with a “for sale” sign. This modern house was unique for traditional Charleston, and Angie immediately called the realtor, but the home had just sold. After the homeowner moved in, Angie knocked on her door and offered to purchase the house. Ten months later, she received a call and after a five-month-long renovation, she moved in. An architect built the home for his own family in 1974. Angie ripped out all of the flagstone floors and added new quarter sawn oak, gutted the kitchen and baths, removed some added walls and built-ins, replaced all of the doors and hardware and designed the fretwork wall in the den. She then spent two years decorating the house. Now the home is on the market and Angie is keeping her eyes open for the next challenge! (See the full set of photos here!) Thanks, Angie, and thanks to Julia Lynn and Squire Fox for the lovely photos! Amy A.

The house is very modern with very clean straight lines. I wanted to keep the feeling modern, but not cold. I like spaces to feel warm and inviting and I love lots of texture and color. I also like to mix things up a bit. I love vintage furniture and architecture so went about collecting vintage furniture, lighting, pottery and adding to my art collection.

Image above: The dining room is open to the living room, so the gallery wall of art extends the length of both rooms. It was a perfect place to hang the art that I have collected over the years. The dining chairs and tulip table are vintage 1960s. I found the chairs at a flea market in Miami and had them recovered in a fuchsia silk. I also have grasscloth in the main rooms of the house to add more texture and softness.

Image above: This is a detail shot of the large custom-built bookshelves in our den. You will notice one vertical between the lower shelves, which is stained ebony to match the kitchen cabinets. I did this randomly throughout the shelves. I love to collect books and given my interior, graphic and art history background most of them happen to be quite beautiful.

Image above: This is my son’s room. It’s a fairly small room so I painted the horizontal stripes to make it appear bigger and they make it more fun. I like the fact that it doesn’t feel overly designed. He’s grown from a baby to a little boy in this room and it still works. The bedspread is from Urban Outfitters, the blinds are a Marimekko fabric and the rug is Madeline Weinrib.

CLICK HERE for more

Image above: This is another shot of the living room/dining room and the gallery wall. My friend Squire was shooting at our house and took this great picture of my daughter. You will notice a lot of vintage lamps and pottery. It’s a bit of a fetish along with chairs and art.

Image above: This is an antique chair that I scooped up before someone else almost bought it while shopping in Savannah one day. It was already upholstered in the shiny white vinyl so I didn’t have to do a thing to it. The painting is by a South American artist and dates back to the 1950s. I love the snake bracelet on her arm.

Image above: This is my living room with a view of the front entry and den. The freestanding fireplace is original, but was just drywall and I had it surfaced in Calcutta Gold Marble. The fretwork wall beyond the fireplace I designed and had custom built.

Image above: I found this dresser at a local store and had it lacquered in white and the hardware chrome plated. The lamps and mirrors are vintage.

Image above: This is our den and again you can see the custom fretwork wall that separates this room from the front entryway. The sofa and chair are vintage Milo Baughman and the large 1970s lamp I found in Miami.

Image above: This is a detail shot in our dining room. The chest is by George Nelson and the mirror I found at a thrift store.

Image above: My daughter’s room has a custom canopy bed with a Raoul Textile fabric and roman shades made out of burlap. The pink shag rug belonged to her twin aunts when they were little back in the 70s. The silkscreens over her bed are by David Weidman.

Image above: I had the island custom built with a Calcutta gold marble countertop. The Lucite barstools are vintage 1970s. I removed the upper cabinets and added floating shelves and covered the wall in an Ann Sacks tile. The silhouettes of my children in the hall are by Carter Kustera.

I fell in love with the long, low lines of the house and the floor-to-ceiling glass. The architecture of this house is much more reminiscent of the 1940s and 50s even though it was built in ’74. I added a little extra touch by painting the front door a deep turquoise blue.

1. The blue’s in my son’s room are Benjamin Moore colors and I can get them for you next week. Yes that is a print from Hatch Show Print.

2. Misa says:

wow! this is really beautiful, inspired design. i wish i could sell my house and buy this one, with everything still in it.

3. elizaabeth says:

I second the request for information about the pendent lights in your kitchen. They are perfect.

4. priyanka says:

Dear Angie, Your home is absolutely gorgeous. This is the best one I’ve seen in DS. Your design sensibility is awesome.What’s not to love!
    Priyanka

5. Melissa Fisher says:

where is the animal print rug from under the eating table?

6. The light fixtures in the kitchen are vintage and came from Rewire in Los Angeles. I found the zebra rug on eBay.

7. – Really beautiful. I love this so much. This website is so creative

8. Ali Martin says:

I absolutely love your style – and have some similar items in my own 1960’s house! Love the color on the front door – venezuelan sea? I would buy your house in a heartbeat…if I didn’t have 3 kids! Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

9. Jenn M says:

Absolutely stunning! Where can I find the lighting fixture in the dining room or something similar? I am obsessed!!!

10. Amber Snow says:

Love that blue stripy wall!

11. margaret says:

If I lived in Charleston I’d buy it in a second! I absolutely LOVE it…perfection!!!

12. Joellyn says:

I’m a little late here, but I love this home! I am redoing a house built in ’71 with similar clean lines and I’m happy to see an example of a home where one style isn’t so strictly adhered to that you can’t have fun and be yourself.

13. Jen Hines says:

I love the brass light fixture in the dining room. Was that a vintage find or new? If vintage, do you have any info on the maker? Also love the turquoise front door. Nice job!

14. William says:

Such an amazing house- she has the best sense of style.

15. Jenny says:

LOVE the boys’ room. I read that they are benjamin moore colors… Can you tell me which ones? Specifically the blues.

16. Blinds says:

That roman blind looks funny. Very unique.

17. Angie says:

Yes, the blue stripes are Benjamin Moore Spring Sky 674 & Thunderbird 675. The dining room chandelier is vintage 1960’s, but I just noticed that Currey & Co. is knocking it off. http://www.curreycodealers.com/productgalleryhome.aspx?CategoryID=-20007

18. Kat says:

What about the pink paint on the walls? It’s EXACTLY what I want! Any help is appreciated :)

19. Dee says:

I love your son’s room! The cowboy print is perfect. Will you please tell me where you found it? I would love to have it for my son’s room. Awesome house! Also love the cool lighting fixture over the dining table.

20. Mary says:

Was the entire bed custom or just the canopy in your daughter’s room? Love it all but sure would like the daybed

21. candice says:

i had no idea this house was featured here!!! i noticed it for sale and almost died when i saw it! found out my neighbor’s uncle was the architect and my neighbor actually lived there for a bit. INSANE!!

22. Rosy says:

Where did you find that mirrored canopy bed? I love it! Actually, the whole house is really wonderful!

23. Karen says:

Hi there, in search of upholstery fabric for my Danish modern lounge chairs similar to what you’ve used on your living room lounge chairs (geometric beige and white). Do you mind sharing your Charleston resource? Thank you!

24. Jessica says:

I am with Karen with respect to the upholstery fabric. I have seen the same design in pink/magenta (in the Angie Hranowsky May 2012 picture). I would love to have the fabric for an accent chair in my daughter’s room, but I have not been able to find it. If you could let me know the pattern name, I would really appreciate it!

25. susan says:

I love the light fixture in your son’s room. Source please!

26. Brenna says:

Thank you for sharing your home and the sources for the great pieces in it. Like Kari, I love your chrome bed. Could you also share who made the bed for you? I would love to have one made in king size. Thanks!