imaginenations globes

When I was going through the D*S book edits last week, I realized how many globes are in the homes we feature. I knew they were popular again, but it didn’t really hit me until I saw them all together just how pervasive the trend has become. So when I saw these pretty globes from Wendy at ImagineNations, I thought they’d make a perfect start to the day. Wendy updates vintage globes by making new designs on top of them with recycled materials. I’m so smitten with the Bon Voyage design above (some lucky duck already snagged that one, argh!) but there are several to choose from — and more on the way — over at Wendy’s site.

Also, Wendy posted this fun video of how globes are made on her blog. If you’ve ever wondered, now you can watch them in action! So cool. xo, grace

1. Love the how-it’s-made video!
    -J

2. I love globes, so I am glad I am not the only one!

3. pablo says:

that was very interesting, now I know is even harder than i thought in first place to do a globe of those

4. Jessica says:

Love the butterfly globe. I’m glad to hear globes are making a comeback. I still refuse to get rid of the my globe from elementary school.

5. Tessa says:

Wow! Gorgeous…love the Bon Voyage globe!

6. Amy says:

As a globe-adorer, the video was priceless! Thank you for posting it, and the beautiful altered globes as well. I just sold my home and put all my stuff into storage, so it was interesting to gradually figure out what I miss seeing everyday. My globe collection, it turns out.

7. Jamie says:

i am in love with the Where The Wild Things Are globe! i put in an inquiry about it, so it might be mine soon!

8. Danielle says:

Oh me…oh my! I now know what to do with that globe my papi gave me years ago!!!!
    Thanks Wendy!

9. stefanie says:

I’m a globe collector too.. mine is small, but I blog about it & created a digital design about it here: http://stefstyleblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/it-really-is-small-world-after-all.html

10. Really cool.

If you are in the New York area you should check out the Mapping show at the Katonah Museum of Art http://www.katonahmuseum.org/visit/

11. I had no idea globes were popular again, but I should’ve because I just picked one up at a thrift store. I have this knack for picking up on trends before they happen or without knowing they are a trend. It’s a gorgeous mid century globe complete with a tall stand. It’s probably about 3 ft. tall. Hubby loves it!

12. alex sunday says:

that video is super cool.

13. tivogirl says:

and they are made in the usa. how great is that!

14. lauren says:

as a map maker, i love this! i’m currently working on some globes myself…this was great inspiration — and thanks for the video!