diy project: monogram stationery set

Though we live in a technology age where emails and text messages rule, I find myself coveting good old fashioned snail mail. With the holidays fast approaching, there’s no better time to reach out to your friends and loved ones with the gesture of a written note. Pair the note with a monogram and you have a piece of classic and timeless correspondence. Make a set for yourself for seasonal correspondence, or enclose a collection in a pretty fabric-covered box as a gift — or do both! The recipient will definitely appreciate it, and it will give you a chance to brush up on your penmanship :) Enjoy! Brenna

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• computer or hand-drawn monogram
  • pencil
  • soft linoleum block
  • linoleum cutter
  • stamp pad or block printing ink
  • blank card stock and envelopes
  • ruler, scissors and x-acto knife
  • paper to line envelopes
  • glue stick

1. Create a monogram, either freehand or on your computer. Here is a great tutorial using Word to create the monogram.

2. Print out the monogram.

3. To make the stamp, use a pencil to trace over the printed monogram.

4. Place the printed and traced monogram face down on the linoleum block.

5. Scribble over the back of the monogram to transfer the pencil lines to the linoleum block. This will make a reversed image of the monogram on the linoleum block.

6. Use the linoleum cutter to cut out the pencil lines and create the monogram.

7. Draw a shape around the monogram using a circular object or ruler if needed. Cut the monogram out of the linoleum block using the x-acto knife.

8. Press the linoleum monogram stamp on your stamp pad and then stamp on your stationery in the desired location.

9. To line the envelope, place the envelope on the paper with ½” of the envelope’s bottom edge hanging off the paper. Trace around the envelope and cut out the shape. Trim the sides of the liner so that it fits into the envelope. Make a template of this shape to use again, if you’d like.

10. Slip the envelope liner paper into the envelope.

11. With the glue stick, put a line of glue just under the strip of adhesive on the envelope flap. Press the paper onto the glue. Close the envelope and crease.

1. wendy says:

what a great gift idea!! love it!

2. Catherine says:

Cool! I love pretty stationary. I remember doing this in art class long ago with a bunch of different designs. Never thought to use it for stationary though! Thanks for the how to!

3. lisa says:

where can i get a linoleum block, etc? just at a craft store? i am uncrafty but this looks like a great holiday gift i could make myself. thanks!

1. grace says:

hi lisa!

you can find them at michael’s crafts stores or most standard craft supply shops :)

4. Michaela says:

Wow! This is awesome. I’ve never known how to make a stamp and I’ve always been curious. I’m a sucker for handwritten notes (:

5. Jo Chopra says:

Oh! Love this! All the old people in my life are waiting longingly for real letters. Thanks for the push.

6. LindenLincoln says:

Monogramming and D*S DIY. This makes my day.

7. I love this. Question: Where did you get the linoleum block?

8. Katie Bee says:

oh I love this!
    wish I lived near a craft store…would a hardware store have them?

9. This is a great idea! I’m going to make a box for my xmas cards and do monogram the envelope. =)

10. lin says:

if you’re making a small enough monogram, you can also use a white plastic eraser instead of linoleum!

11. R says:

Did you freehand the monogram or did you a font on the computer? (if the later, what font did you use?)

12. I love all these DIY ideas before the holidays:) Though I love my computer nothing can replace a hand-written note- esp. on personalized paper. I’m excited to try!

13. Susan says:

Hi all,
    You might consider ordering from Dick Blick if you do not have a good resource for these supplies near you. They seem to have just about everything under the sun…

14. Martha says:

Love this! I am thinking about making some personalized sets for friends for Christmas gifts!

15. annawithlove says:

This is a wonderful idea, holiday project!

16. So pretty – and super simple- great idea!!Now where is my linoleum..:-)

17. I’ve done this before with linoleum, but thanks to this post, I’ve got some great ideas for Christmas gifts!

18. brenna says:

hi all! i bought my linoleum block at dick blick (the store is absolute heaven)… they had several to choose from, where my local michaels only had the cutting tools and no linoleum blocks. strange. great idea by lin, who suggested using a large eraser instead. it will work perfectly, and are also readily available. also, i used word for these monograms and used several fonts that i downloaded for free from a couple different free font sites. thanks!

19. i always think stationery makes the perfect stocking stuffer, but this makes it even more thoughtful. my mom would be all over that…

20. Yes! Thank you! I was just deciding how to do a custom stationery set for my sister in law’s graduation gift. This is perfect – I might heat emboss as well. Thanks!

21. SillyJaime says:

Some questions: where can I find these tools and materials? I haven’t done anything creative or DIY in a long time, and I have no idea where to begin.

1. grace says:

your easiest bet would be a michael’s craft store. they’d have all of this in one store. or you could try dick blick online or a smaller art store in your town.

22. holly regan says:

Definitely on the list for my holiday craft world..THANKS. Paired with a sweet return address stamp and VOILA…..
    Super nice gift. I also love giving a little collection of vintage postage stamps with it- you can find really neat unused stamps with cool graphics and colors – would make it especially meaningful!

23. Heather says:

Look in the Art section of Michaels, not in the stamping section. You’ll probably find these blocks with the finer pens and art markers. The ones at my Michaels stores are pink. Take a 40% off coupon with you because the cutter is over $17. I’ve also used the V-cutter from my pumpkin carving kit with success on these blocks too.

24. says:

wonderful,but i don’t understand encough.呵呵

25. seara says:

can you get the linoliu block at a hardware store becuase the craft store is far from my house

26. Mindy says:

Just made these today for my mother and mother-in-law for Christmas! Turned out GREAT. They are going to love it. What a great idea – and super personalized/cheap gift!

27. This is a great idea! I love it! Had to share in my 10 Great Monogram Projects Post!

28. Beautiful! I love homemade gifts. I created personalized stationary for several of my friends for Valentine’s Day. If you have a moment, I would be flattered for you to check them out.

29. Nicole Regan says:

I love the fonts used here! What are they? I haven’t been able to find similar ones so far on font sites.